U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 06:09 AM

7,625 posts, read 13,987,763 times

Advertisements

This would involve a Trader Joe's run:

A bottle of 2 buck chuck
loaf of bread
$3 in cheese from their fine selection....life is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

A bottle of 2 buck chuck
loaf of bread
Brilliant!

Old 01-27-2013, 07:50 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,463,126 times
Quote:

A bottle of 2 buck chuck
loaf of bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Brilliant!
A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou can indeed be pleasant. But you can't do it for $5.00.

At TJs in Alexandria VA:
Two buck Chuck = $3.99
Cheapest baguette = $1.99
Cheapest cheese = $3.99

You're at $10 already.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
A loaf of bread, a jug of wine and thou can indeed be pleasant. But you can't do it for $5.00.

At TJs in Alexandria VA:
Two buck Chuck = $3.99
Cheapest cheese = $3.99

You're at $10 already.
Your bringing me down....LOL

OK...San Antonio TJ's: $2.99 for Two Buck Chuck
Baguette: $1.99

Without tax..I made it.

Would skip the break AND cheese and get 2 bottles of wine if it were doable...LOL

Old 01-27-2013, 08:16 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

At TJs in Alexandria VA:
Two buck Chuck = $3.99
Cheapest cheese = $3.99

You're at $10 already.
wow, 2 buck chuck, at $4.00. I have seen it at $3 but not $4. I guess inflation hits everywhere... It is still $3.00 in Texas and it was $2 in Ca a few months ago.Regardless, you are right, no way, under $5 and I wouldn't consider a meal very brillant if it consisted of just bread and wine, no cheese: that is more like Communion that a brillant meal..

Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM

9,187 posts, read 10,136,018 times
Quote:

A bottle of 2 buck chuck
loaf of bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, 2 buck chuck, at $4.00. I have seen it at $3 but not $4. I guess inflation hits everywhere... It is still $3.00 in Texas and it was $2 in Ca a few months ago.Regardless, you are right, no way, under $5 and I wouldn't consider a meal very brillant if it consisted of just bread and wine, no cheese: that is more like Communion that a brillant meal..
Add a beautiful day in the springtime and a grassy meadow. Regardless of the ingredients it's a brilliant meal for a boy and girl in love. If he only has five dollars she'll put in the rest. Remember when you were seventeen?

Now, will someone please tell me what 2 buck chuck is.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Add a beautiful day in the springtime and a grassy meadow. Regardless of the ingredients it's a brilliant meal for a boy and girl in love. If he only has five dollars she'll put in the rest. Remember when you were seventeen?

Trader Joes cheap wine...not bad really...but they have so many WONDERFUl $5.99 bottles, it is easy to bypass the two buck chuck. (got it's name because back in the day it was $1.99 per bottle!) LOL

I LOVE your springtime day memories....

Old 01-27-2013, 10:49 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

Oh Whoming: I am surprised you don't know: it is a wine, produced just for T Joe's, from a winery in Calif. Supposidly, it is the same as the wine Walmart sells under a different name and a few other stores under different names as well. I don't know if this true or someone's imagination, but regardless, it isn't bad for daily use..For company, I think I would rather serve something a little better...

Anyway, we all can look back and remember some of those days when we were in high school or college and what we considered fun, romantic and memories we knew would last forever..In fact those were loves that would last forever in our minds if nothing else: some have lasted in our memories...I can think of a few.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM

4,937 posts, read 5,070,905 times
Brilliant!!!!!

Guinness "Brilliant" - YouTube

Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,842,382 times
Okay, I've read through all these posts, and reread the OP. The challenge was to purchase what you need to prepare the meal with no more than a $5 bill. Much of what has been posted can't be done with a $5 bill. For example someone said something about making french toast, bread for $1, eggs $1, powdered sugar $1, etc, but you can't buy anything that way. You have to buy an entire loaf of bread and the cheapest I've seen that is $1.79, eggs you can't buy individually, you must buy 12 at a time, minimum price $1.89.

When I said I couldn't do anything brilliant for $5, I meant strictly one $5 bill at the grocery store. Now if I could have a $20 bill to take to the store, I might be able to come up with something brilliant, where the cost averages to no more than $5 per head, but I would have leftovers.

Also, where in the world can you get red bell peppers for $.33 a piece? The red ones are always between $1.69 and $2.29 a piece. Green ones run at least $.79 a piece, occasionally they put them on sale for $.50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or