Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali&ajsmom View Post
[font=Comic Sans MS]I am really starting to hate getting groceries. I spend about $50 more on groceries than I did this time last year.
That's funny because my wife is the same way,she dreads going food shopping but oh loves other shopping

I have to keep reminding her food is a basic necessity,can't cut corners too much there. I said if I even have to work just to eat I guess I'd have to rather than all the other 'extravagances'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,431,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That's funny because my wife is the same way,she dreads going food shopping but oh loves other shopping

I have to keep reminding her food is a basic necessity,can't cut corners too much there. I said if I even have to work just to eat I guess I'd have to rather than all the other 'extravagances'.
Yeah....I hear ya...LOL.
I used to (still do...somewhat) love to go shopping for other things....(yup, like clothes for example)
But, I scaled THAT way back as well (maybe because I don't want to give my dear husband a heart attack??? )

Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
But the best is really the gas!!! We pay nearly $7 for 1 gallon gas. Unbelievable...
You may, but your distances can't even begin to compare.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:46 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkelly View Post
It's funny. we were just talking about this on an email list I'm on and people actually got mad because we were talking about it! I guess they think it's better to pretend it's not happening or something.

Tell them to wake up! Reality calls.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:49 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
How can they "pretend" it's not happening?? One trip to the store tells all.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:53 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post

The way I see it....it's only going to get worse.
If it is really the TRUTH what they are analyzing and saying on the news watch.....oil/ gas prices will climb up possibly to $8/ gallon comes next year....we better get ready, because we have seen nothing yet.

I am planning on expanding my veggie selection in my yard........huh.......

$8.00 dollars a gallon?? By next year? OMG!!
Time to buy a scooter, or better yet, bicycle.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
How can they "pretend" it's not happening?? One trip to the store tells all.
You are not kidding.....really.
I've got my "reality check", when I went back to Germany on vacation, visiting my folks.
We had to do the "math" concerning converting Euro into dollars, food prices, gas prices etc.
Their cost of living, grocery, meat, dairy...gas is already so much higher then it is here. (Their gas prices would roughly translate into approx. $6/ $7 dollars!!! )
I was FLOORED.....really.
Just to give you an idea on how obvious it is that people in Germany are saving and tightening their belts is...:
*Use public transit systems or the bicycle/ scooters whenever possible.
*Having big barrels in their yards, catching rain water to water their shrubs, plants, flowers, veggies
*More and more households use fireplaces/ wood ovens for heating during the winter months.
*Can their fruit, veggies...and freeze a lot of stuff.
*Buying/ investing in energy saving lighting bulbs in order to cut costs.

I am sure, people here in the US do similar things....but it was just so obvious to us to observe that over there, every day.
It's just a matter of time, before this outrages phenomenon will hit us....and I have no doubt about it.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
$8.00 dollars a gallon?? By next year? OMG!!
Time to buy a scooter, or better yet, bicycle.
Well, that's what those analysts on the news stations are saying...that it would come as no surprise if the barrel of oil prices would hit the $200 mark per barrel by next year, which, of course will "trickle" right down to EVERYTHING again, including food..
However, right now all they do is speculate, basing their analysis on the market trends....since no one has that crystal ball to say for sure.
But, to be honest with you.....I can see it, I wouldn't be surprised at all about it, and I see no indication for this whole mess to get any better!
It also wouldn't surprise me, if the state/ country would start taxing/ increasing taxes on scooters, motorcycles....because that would mean MORE money flowing into "Uncle Sam's" pocket.
For us "average" folks...we just can't seem to win either way.....and everyone needs food.
So, they get you this way....or the other.

I hate to be "gloom" and "doom" and WOULD GLADLY BE PROOFEN WRONG in this one!!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
I kn ow my Family does catch rain water but they been doing this for years I know as a kid I almost fell into one trying to get the water out lol... None of my Family burn Wood or anything. My family does NOT even know how to do canning ! rofl.....
But they do use the Buss's and Strassenbahn as I did when I lived there. We always had a great transportation System there.

I am having a bigger Garden this year again and do much canning, like fruits and Tomatos.
Milk I only in Bulk and on sale. Bread from the breadstore where I can get a Loaf for 99 cents, also make my own bread. All canned veggies are offbrand.
I really watch the trips and try to combine them. I even went and bought cheaper dogfood!!!

Our GAs went up today too $3.89

Old 05-07-2008, 02:14 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,469,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Well, that's what those analysts on the news stations are saying...that it would come as no surprise if the barrel of oil prices would hit the $200 mark per barrel by next year, which, of course will "trickle" right down to EVERYTHING again, including food..
However, right now all they do is speculate, basing their analysis on the market trends....since no one has that crystal ball to say for sure.
Things will probably change a bit once we get rid of this current administration
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink