Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times

Advertisements

I often think how differently we cook compared to our relatives 30, 40 or 50 years ago? My dad was an awesome cook, I would say a gourmet cook, but he never heard of cilarntro. In fact he used very few fresh herbs other than maybe parsley on rare occassions and maybe chives. His favorite herb was garlic and he loved cooking with sage or bay leaf. That was about it, other than, of course salt and pepper, but not white pepper or sea salt. Sea salt is what we got all over our bodies when we went to the beach. He did use wine and brandy for cooking with some, not like I do.

When we had a cocktail party or appetizers before dinner when entertaining they consisted of: balogna cubed, salami the same, a couple kinds of cheeses, smoked oysters or maybe herring with ritz crackers. Sometimes we had Ca onion dip and chips. He never heard of a cheese ball, baffalo wings, or nachos.

Brisket was what was referred to as a boiled dinner, it wasn't something we cooked slowly in a smoker. We cooked the entire chicken, not just chicken breasts. I don't think he ever heard of a game hen...Certainly we never fixed them. We used regular oil, not olive oil..and if he wanted to spice something up (yes he liked hot foods) he used hot sause and did keep pickled peppers in the fridge, but he never used salsa. In fact he never cooked mexican food I don't think. I know mom didn't.

I am sure I could think of 100 more things that have changed since dad and mom cooked for us.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 02:22 PM

76 posts, read 79,024 times
We used cinnamon, paprika, sage poultry seasoning but they were for specific things. Sage and poultry seasoning were for stuffing, paprika was to make deviled eggs and potato salad look pretty. The cinnamon was for rice pudding, mixed with sugar and sprinkled on buttered toast or in french toast. Experimentation was frowned upon because it was deemed "playing around and ruining good food." Salt and black pepper were the staples. The salt came with the little yellow umbrella girl on the navy background and the pepper was large in a red and white tin. The only extract my mother ever used was vanilla. How times have changed.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:25 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,000,030 times
My parents were not good cooks...still aren't. They use salt, pepper, garlic powder, season all, and steak seasoning. That's about it. They probably have never heard of garam masala or cumin.

All veggies are over-boiled, if fresh. Otherwise they are from a can. It's a sad situation....

Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrinka View Post
We used cinnamon, paprika, sage poultry seasoning but they were for specific things. Sage and poultry seasoning were for stuffing, paprika was to make deviled eggs and potato salad look pretty. The cinnamon was for rice pudding, mixed with sugar and sprinkled on buttered toast or in french toast. Experimentation was frowned upon because it was deemed "playing around and ruining good food." Salt and black pepper were the staples. The salt came with the little yellow umbrella girl on the navy background and the pepper was large in a red and white tin. The only extract my mother ever used was vanilla. How times have changed.
oh yes, the famous paprika to make salad look pretty and yes, the sage or poutry seasoning for holiday turkey stuffing.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,137,992 times
Growing up my folks never used curry. It is a favorite for us and my youngest daughter especially likes it. We never used dried mustard, turmeric, cilantro, mint, dill, or fresh parsley or thyme. My parents really didn't cook with a variety of herbs.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:14 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
Interesting question. My answer actually spans from one end to the other.

My grandparents: They were old-fashioned Eastern European immigrants. If they were alive today, they wouldn't eat anything that I make, nor would they have heard of any of the seasonings I use. The motto regarding food in my grandparents' house was: "Make it bland, just the way I like it. No. No. That's not quite bland enough. I can still taste a flavor."

My father: I grew up with my father. He only cooked a few things, none of them impressive. But we ate in restaurants A LOT. I'm 47. My father is 70. When I was in my 20s, my father was the one who introduced me to sushi, while on a trip to Vancouver. He'd been eating it for years. I was disgusted at first, and then loved it immediately. When I discovered bison 5 or so years ago, I called him up to tell him about it. What does he say? "Oh, there was a place in Alberta -- a road-side stand, really -- that I used to go to about 20 years ago, every time I was out that way on a business trip. They had the best bison there." Obviously I grew up with a father with very avant-garde (at the time) taste and an eclectic palate. There's isn't anything that I make or any seasonings that I use that my father hasn't had a million times before I even knew they existed.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,012,677 times
My mom was ahead of her time: we had a garden and veggies were steamed never cooked beyond recognition; her spice cabinet was full of different seasonings--she dried herbs from her garden to use year round; she rarely fried anything, but baked, broiled or grilled. I was in for a big shock when I met my in-laws: fried potatoes at every meal; "shoe leather" meat; and her veggies were potatoes, corn and pressure cooked green beans I never knew anyone who used instant mashed potatoes, except for school lunch rooms, until I ate with them. Her comment, " I put a spoon of mayonaise in my potatoes and they taste homemade!" NOT!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
My mom was ahead of her time: we had a garden and veggies were steamed never cooked beyond recognition; her spice cabinet was full of different seasonings--she dried herbs from her garden to use year round; she rarely fried anything, but baked, broiled or grilled. I was in for a big shock when I met my in-laws: fried potatoes at every meal; "shoe leather" meat; and her veggies were potatoes, corn and pressure cooked green beans I never knew anyone who used instant mashed potatoes, except for school lunch rooms, until I ate with them. Her comment, " I put a spoon of mayonaise in my potatoes and they taste homemade!" NOT!
interesting about your mom and the spices. It does sound like she was living a few decades aheard of herself and good for her. As for the veggies, though mom and dad didn't grow a garden they did shop at the Los Angeles Grand central Market weekly and we always, year around had fresh veggies, never over cooked. We also had about an acre of land with so many fruit trees. so we ate fresh fruit, rarely fr[u]id from a can.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:14 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,773,299 times
I have Asian ancestry so they were familiar with exotic herbs and spices. They probably wouldn't cook a lot of the Western stuff my mother and I cook though.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:48 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,206,541 times
My Grandma was Mexican/Swedish...born in Mexico, Swedish parents. She used a variety of spices in her cooking, lots of cinnamon, cardamon, and white pepper. Always fresh sage, rosemary, cilantro, parsley. I don't even use as many spices as she did...but she was not much of an italian chef, never made pasta with red sauce...so she did not have basil in her cabinet, or any Asian spices...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink