U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:47 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,103,092 times

Advertisements

Dinner was a real hit! Thanks, Mark. I served it with mashed potates and brussels sprouts and my husband loved it. I figure I can eat brussels sprouts if you can eat turnips--ick .
Hey, my husband uses olive oil for french toast too. And he fries eggs with olive oil instead of butter. I think it makes them taste better too.
Thanks again for the recipe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 03:12 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,077,955 times
You're quite welcome grammy , glad it was a hit It's not bland like most meatloafs and you don't need ketchup! I serve it with mashed potatoes too, mixed with sauteed garlic in butter, but since I hate brussel sprouts, I go for the green beans with some bacon bits thrown in. Hey, turnips over brussel sprouts ANY day ! They make great filler and are pretty mild actually, especially after a few hours in a slow-cooker

Old 09-24-2006, 04:52 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,103,092 times
Come on, Ladies. What did you have for dinner tonight???

Old 09-24-2006, 04:59 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,251,257 times
Last night I had pizza and a salad. I'm not much of a cook and I don't enjoy cooking. I just like to eat.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:05 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,169,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
For chocolate chip cookies, I make them from scratch too. I also use unbleached all-purpose flour. But I refuse to use Crisco, even the so-called "trans-fat free" variety. That stuff is artery clogger. I use real pork lard I get from a place in Arkansas. I know the first thought is...ARTERY CLOGGER!! But it's actually far healthier than crisco. I have learned to reduce the amount to about 2/3'rds of what's called for in the recipe, cut back a bit on the white sugar, add a bit more of the brown sugar, use an entire stick of butter, and add about 1/2 more dark chocolate chips than is called for. The resulting cookies are crisper and soooooooooooo good! :-D
I know this thread was about dinner tonight, but I coudn't help but notice that you make your chocolate chip cookies from scratch, with un-bleached flour, (which I also use), but...lard? That's a first for me. I have used it to make pie crusts, (makes them real nice and flakey), but I have not heard of using it in cookies. I always use butter. I don't suppose you would be willing to share your actual recipe? I'm kind of curious, now. I'm a fairly good cook, but I actually like to bake better. For holidays, I have to bake my Christmas cookies, and at least two pies, from scratch, or, boy! do I hear about it from my crew! I'm sorry if I digressed too much from the original thread, but I just couldn't help myself.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:19 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,077,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I know this thread was about dinner tonight, but I coudn't help but notice that you make your chocolate chip cookies from scratch, with un-bleached flour, (which I also use), but...lard? That's a first for me. I have used it to make pie crusts, (makes them real nice and flakey), but I have not heard of using it in cookies. I always use butter. I don't suppose you would be willing to share your actual recipe? I'm kind of curious, now. I'm a fairly good cook, but I actually like to bake better. For holidays, I have to bake my Christmas cookies, and at least two pies, from scratch, or, boy! do I hear about it from my crew! I'm sorry if I digressed too much from the original thread, but I just couldn't help myself.
Hmmm, and I never thought of using just butter! I didn't think using only butter would work...so I may try it just to see how it comes out!
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 cup of brown sugar packed ( I actually use a bit less white, and more brown sugar now, the end result is tastier, but the total amounts of sugar remain the same)
1 soft stick of butter. blend it all up with a handheld mixer.
1 half-teaspoon of baking soda
two eggs
1 Teaspoon of real Vanilla (though I use a bit more) 1/2 cup of real lard instead of Crisco (though I use less now, maybe closer to 1/3)
2.5 cups of all-purpose flour. Blend it all up with the handheld mixer.
then add in the cup of dark chocolate chips, though I use 1.5 cups , blend it altogether.
Oven is 375F. ( wrote this down out of memory, but it's 375F,not 350F!)
Pretty darn good cookies.

Your turn Celtic P.S... I like to bake too, more than actual cooking.

Last edited by MoMark; 09-24-2006 at 07:26 PM..

Old 09-24-2006, 06:58 PM

4,662 posts, read 15,789,735 times
I tossed some veggies and a roast into the slow cooker this morning, sure helps in making the home smell yummy too! Last night was homemade pizza.

Cleosmom bats eyes at MoMark and asks for meatloaf recipe

Old 09-24-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Your turn Celtic P.S... I like to bake too, more than actual cooking.
Well, here goes. I'll actually give you two recipes:

Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I always use real vanilla)
2 eggs
One 12 oz. (2 cups) chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375F. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla extract until creamy. Beat in eggs. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, (and nuts, if desired). Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, (I use those air-bake type cookie sheets). Bake 9-11 minutes until edges are golden brown.

Old-Fashioned Gingersnaps

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
Additional sugar

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and molasses; beat well. Sift together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture. Mix well. Roll dough into 1-1/4 inch balls and dip into sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375F for about 10 minutes or until set surface cracks. Cool on wire racks. If you like chewier cookies pull them out of the oven a little sooner, based on your oven, of course.

Enjoy! The gingersnaps are a particular favorite around my house. They don't last long!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I tossed some veggies and a roast into the slow cooker this morning, sure helps in making the home smell yummy too! Last night was homemade pizza.

Cleosmom bats eyes at MoMark and asks for meatloaf recipe
Oh yeah...I was going to ask about the meatloaf also. Hey, cleosmom, that's my favorite way to make a roast. It does smell great!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:09 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,774,661 times
LOL..9 am and now I'm hungry for meatloaf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink