Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Free 3 13.64%
25 cents 2 9.09%
50 cents 3 13.64%
At least 1 Dollar 5 22.73%
Whatever the company decides to charge, it could be 25 cents or it could be 25 dollars. 9 40.91%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times

Advertisements

I drink tap water. When I'm someplace where tap water isn't available, I'm sort of forced to buy bottled if I'm thirsty....but it irks me. I will keep the bottle and refill with tap water, pop in the fridge and take it to the pool with me!

Chilling even "less than tasty" water makes it taste better.....just put a jar or pitcher in the fridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
In 2007 Pepsi announced their "Aquafina" was tap water. Coca-Cola's "Dasani" brand bottled water, a company spokesman said, also comes from a public water supply.

Pepsi was suppose to start labeling their "Aquafina" as Bottled at the source P.W.S. (Public Water System.)

Nestle also announced it will be changing the bottles of its All Nestle Pure Life Purified Drinking Water to "identify the source of the water, whether it's from a municipal supply or ground-water well source."

According to a report by National Resource Defense Council, an environmental advocacy group based in Washington, "about one-fourth of bottled water is bottled tap water [and by some accounts, as much as 40 percent is derived from tap water] - sometimes with additional treatment, sometimes not."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/27/news...es/pepsi_coke/

Old 07-21-2012, 01:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
I remember reading an analysis of the cost of manufacturing a Coca-Cola, and the cost of all the ingredients was less than the cost of the container, and the cost of distribution and marketing was even more. So I understand why a bottle of tap water is not free.

I just don't understand why a bottle of tap water often costs more than a bottle of Coke.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I remember reading an analysis of the cost of manufacturing a Coca-Cola, and the cost of all the ingredients was less than the cost of the container, and the cost of distribution and marketing was even more. So I understand why a bottle of tap water is not free.

I just don't understand why a bottle of tap water often costs more than a bottle of Coke.
I buy my bottled water for $4/case (24 15.9oz bottles) at Staples (yes, the office supply store). And that's the regular price. Even on sale, I've never seen coke come close to that.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I buy my bottled water for $4/case (24 15.9oz bottles) at Staples (yes, the office supply store). And that's the regular price. Even on sale, I've never seen coke come close to that.
But that's by the case. Almost anywhere you go... convenience store, movie theater, supermarket, pizza place, whatever... a bottle of chilled "Name Brand" water costs as much as a Coke. It's ridiculous, but millions of people all over the country go for it every day.

Gads, our landfills will never recover!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
But that's by the case. Almost anywhere you go... convenience store, movie theater, supermarket, pizza place, whatever... a bottle of chilled "Name Brand" water costs as much as a Coke. It's ridiculous, but millions of people all over the country go for it every day.

Do you mean that Coke bottles don't fill up the landfills? Do they spontaneously disintegrate and turn into pure sweet oxygen?

Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you shop around and buy it by the case, you can buy it for 11-13 cents for a half liter bottle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I drink Nestle Pure Life. I don't drink it for convenience; I drink it because I like the taste. The bottling plantthat serves my region is in Denver so the water is Denver tap water with some added minerals. I consider Denver tap water to be the best tap water I've ever tasted. When I worked in Denver but lived in the suburbs I brought Denver water home to drink. I drink a good bit of water and I'm serious about the taste.

I just bought four cases of 35 for $4.88 each; I drink four or five bottles per day That's a dirt cheap price as far as I'm concerned. I'm not the only one who thinks this way; my local Walmart has a big invenory of it. Onthe other hand, there is no earthly way I'd pay a dollar for a bottle of it if I were in a restaurant or convenience store. I don't really know how much I would pay but it would be well under a dollar.

As a boy I remember Vichy Water on the menus of good restaurants. It was very tasty. A gourmet food store in Chicago carried it. I first had it in a restaurant when I was perhaps eight or nine years old so I could join my parents in a drink before dinner. It wasn't until my mid teens that they'd order a cocktail for me, an acceptable practice In the Fifties. Vichy Water was expensive, probably in the price range of a simple cocktail. Out of curiosity I just checked its curent availability. Apart from tiny bottles at insane prices I could find no source of supply in this country. It had the best taste of all the waters I've had. I'd happily pay two or three dollars for a half liter bottle in a grocery store. However, I would not be drinking five bottles per day.

Thirty years ago Perrier was very popular. I generally preferred it to a soft drink. As memory serves it cost perhaps 50% more than a typical soft drink of the same size. It is currently available in both the original formula as well as a less carbonated iteration and flavored. An unfortunate industrial accident wrecked their sales; they never really recovered. Thinking about waters as I've been writing this thread I'm going to get some Perrier online if the price is halfway reasonable. I've never seen it in a store or restaurant here.
We have good tap water in my city. You can get a case of store brands and such pretty cheap her too! No reason to buy bottled, though for some reason wife and kids get the stuff for convenience. Oh, I get my Colorado Rocky's water from my beer! I drink a lot of water also ...because Iced tea is my beverage of choice. Which is why it chaps my behind for our city to have forced fluoride (down our throats) in our water supply.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Yes, because that's how I buy my bottled water....by the case.

Even individually though. It's like $1-$3 depending on what you get. It's more than tap, but by such an insignificant amount that people don't care. They'll pay for the convenience.

I don't know about other people, but my water bottles get recycled.

Last edited by NJBest; 07-21-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 10:39 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We have good tap water in my city. You can get a case of store brands and such pretty cheap her too! No reason to buy bottled, though for some reason wife and kids get the stuff for convenience. Oh, I get my Colorado Rocky's water from my beer! I drink a lot of water also ...because Iced tea is my beverage of choice. Which is why it chaps my behind for our city to have forced fluoride (down our throats) in our water supply.
Twelve cent water replaced $1.59 Big Gulps so I see it as a cost avoidance more than a big expense.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Simple solution. Don't drink city water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink