Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times

Advertisements

My g'daughter likes pig in a blanket with mac & cheese. She like the PIB made with Little Smokies and Crescent Rolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I completely disagree with you about giving children alcohol - why in the world, when alcoholism and alcohol related deaths are skyrocketing, would any sane parent encourage a child to acquire a taste for alcohol? I also don't agree about giving children tea or coffee. All I was asking for was side dishes for mac and cheese for little girls.
We used to have wine and beer with meals when I was kid. Albeit they were small glasses. My family is from the old country where that stuff isnt a big deal. No alcholism in my family that I am aware. No I am not saying to break out the bottle for your party, LOL. Interesting that the tradition didnt carry much into my generation. I think our kids only sipped wine and beer a couple of times and didnt really like the taste.

No back to your regular scheduled programing

Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I would just do a fresh veggie platter and fruit. You could have carrots, celery, peppers, cherry tomatoes, ranch dressing...and maybe buffalo chicken wings would be fun. Or just fried wings...

Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I completely disagree with you about giving children alcohol - why in the world, when alcoholism and alcohol related deaths are skyrocketing, would any sane parent encourage a child to acquire a taste for alcohol? I also don't agree about giving children tea or coffee. All I was asking for was side dishes for mac and cheese for little girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
We used to have wine and beer with meals when I was kid. Albeit they were small glasses. My family is from the old country where that stuff isnt a big deal. No alcholism in my family that I am aware. No I am not saying to break out the bottle for your party, LOL. Interesting that the tradition didnt carry much into my generation. I think our kids only sipped wine and beer a couple of times and didnt really like the taste.
My family was Irish; there was no shame in drinking moderately.

My parents believed that alcohol shouldn't be the forbidden fruit that it was for so many. When I was in high school there were boys who went out constantly trying to find beer or something more. I never did this. To me it was no big deal. I've been a very moderate drinker my entire life. There were no drunks on either side of the family. If I had had children I would have done the same with them. My late wife had wine as a young girl and had the same attitude I do.

I may have had iced tea when I was young but I can't recall. I didn't like coffee until I was about sixteen. My caffeine was from Coke and chocolate.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-24-2012 at 12:04 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-23-2012, 11:59 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Well, heck, then get those kids a couple of six packs of beer too! Snort!
(Not in my house!), 12 year olds drink soda, or lemonade.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
I would serve the broccoli and have a veggie tray for those that don't care for it.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
I LOVE the salad bar idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I would just do a fresh veggie platter and fruit. You could have carrots, celery, peppers, cherry tomatoes, ranch dressing...and maybe buffalo chicken wings would be fun. Or just fried wings...
Also sounds like a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
I would serve the broccoli and have a veggie tray for those that don't care for it.
As does this.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, heck, then get those kids a couple of six packs of beer too! Snort!
(Not in my house!), 12 year olds drink soda, or lemonade.
Because soda or the sugar in lemonade is so much better for them.

Again Happy and I were not advocating throwing a kegger for the kids, just that we grew up in a culture where alcohol was just part of meal time. As such no one my age in my family that I remember treated it like forbidden fruit to be consummed in mass quantities ( Conehead hom.) as teenagers at a Roman Bacchanalia.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
I like the idea of grilled vegetable skewers but I would get different things to put on the skewers and let each girl make their own so they can put what they like on it. When I make vegetable skewers, I use zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, peppers (green/red/yellow - whichever), new potatoes (canned) and pineapple chunks. I put Wishbone Italian dressing on them and grill. The pineapple adds a nice flavor. Sometimes I make some of the skewers with only pineapple, onion and mushroom.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:51 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,451,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I like the idea of grilled vegetable skewers but I would get different things to put on the skewers and let each girl make their own so they can put what they like on it. When I make vegetable skewers, I use zucchini, mushrooms, red onion, peppers (green/red/yellow - whichever), new potatoes (canned) and pineapple chunks. I put Wishbone Italian dressing on them and grill. The pineapple adds a nice flavor. Sometimes I make some of the skewers with only pineapple, onion and mushroom.
That's a good idea. When kids make their own they tend to eat it too. And you can keep the leftover unprepped for yourself without waste. The only issue is the open flame, but if you use a George Foreman grill or plug-in griddle instead of an outdoor BBQ it's way doable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink