Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 10:44 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,490,039 times

Advertisements

Cafes are really common in Argentina, and the popular ones sometimes have lots of people standing around waiting for a seat. This seems absurd to me because 1) it's just coffee and pastries 2) people go to cafes to hang out and chat so you could be waiting a really long time. I would never stand around waiting to sit down at a cafe.

So my questions = what is the longest you would wait for a seat, and what is the longest you have waited?

There was a pizza place in Phoenix AZ that got voted best pizza in USA by various publications including NY Times, and the wait times (they didn't accept reservations) that were already long quickly became 2-3 hours. For pizza! I love good pizza as much as the next person, but ain't gonna happen.

The pizzeria in question = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzeria_Bianco

Old 03-26-2022, 11:23 AM

1,317 posts, read 583,200 times
In many Latin countries patrons are notorious for extending their seatings particularly in their coffee shops, and nothing is said to them that there is a line of people waiting for a table. That said those people that are waiting in line are likely to do the same thing in return. It’s cultural and tradition to go out for a café almost everyday.

I’ve done it myself, the overstay is not done on purpose it’s mostly due because of good conversation meeting with friends and family.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:25 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,596,911 times
Depends on how hungry I am, what other restaurants are nearby (if any), how good the food is, and how much time I have then.

I would not wait 2 to 3 hrs for pizza UNLESS I knew about it before going and planned on the long wait, including carrying a snack with me.

I waited about an hour and a half a few years ago, to get seated at a popular dim sum restaurant. We have NO such restaurants within at least a 5-hr drive from home, so this was during a trip out of state. That is the longest I ever waited to get seated.

The cafe scenario is a bit different from full-meal restaurants, ironically. Less food but potentially more time occupying a seat, whether for socializing or for the increasingly-frequent WiFi dwellers. I don’t think it is fair for users of free Internet to take a seat for half a day when others are constantly waiting to get in for a quicker stay.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:20 PM

16,233 posts, read 27,283,924 times
O wouldn't wait for more than 15-20 minutes. There are too many options to eat elsewhere around here.

Even for Shin Sen Gumi, which is notorious for long waits, you can just sign in for the wait list online via Yelp and they tell you when your table will be ready. No need to sit (or stand) around the entrance waiting for other diners to finish their meals.

Old 03-26-2022, 08:07 PM

145 posts, read 78,552 times
30 minutes

Old 03-26-2022, 10:24 PM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
In my younger days, maybe two hours.

These days, maybe 10 minutes.

Old 03-26-2022, 10:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,596,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In my younger days, maybe two hours.

These days, maybe 10 minutes.
Need to use the bathroom that soon?

Old 03-26-2022, 11:35 PM

21,873 posts, read 19,028,526 times
there was a place in Oregon we went to that had a 2-3 hour wait. They opened an entirely separate take out section in the same building because of this, which also due to again the extreme popularity of the place for both eat in and take out also had a long wait time (1-2 hours for take out, not as long as the sit-down but still long). We just planned around it. if we wanted to eat there, we put our name on the list, went off and did something else, and then came back. If it was take out, we'd call it in, run a couple errands or do stuff around the house, then pick up the food. Great great food. well worth it. the only time we did eat-in was when we had guests who wanted to eat there. i'd rather do take out, more leisurely, less hectic, less pressured, and definitely less crowded. it was a great great food. we'd get a calzone there it was about 16 inches long, went off both ends of the plate, for something like $6, packed with meat. yummy

Old 03-27-2022, 01:10 AM

16,358 posts, read 30,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Need to use the bathroom that soon?
Actually, I have found that there are generally many options to many of these restaurants that do not require a wait.

For example, there is a BBQ place that is in a parking lot near DT Phoenix that is supposed to have the best BBQ in the state. However, you have to show up at 9 am to make a reservation and there is no real guarantee that you will be seated. I have had friends wait there for three hours before getting their food. And by the way, you wait OUTSIDE in the noontime sun.

There are a handful of very good BBQ options in the Phoenix that generally have waits under 10 minutes. I would rather head over there to eat and resume my normal activities.

Old 03-27-2022, 03:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,419,974 times
We wouldn't wait more than 10 or 15 minutes.

But I know people who happily wait 2 hours, standing in line at their favorite pancake house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink