Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,349,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
As a kid, I don't recall the stores carrying bags of shredded cheese, or string cheese or such. There was Kraft American Cheese ( slices were NOT pre-wrapped ). Mom would always buy a pound hunk of colby cheese when she bought lunch meat and we would cut a wedge off when we had a sandwich. Our only pizza experience was a store bought box of Chef Boy Ardee and it had a little can of "cheese" you sprinkled on before you put it in the oven (same with his spaghetti dinner box). It was just unheard of then - somebody must have figured out a way to make mega bucks on it and the production began in earnest. If we had something that was "extremely cheese", for example - mac and cheese (with tomatoes in it - bleh) it was because Mom was trying to get rid of any leftover cheese that was about to expire. She wasted nothing!!!!
Oh wow, I could have written this! My mom actually worked in a deli so we always had sliced colby for our sandwiches. Kraft not wrapped for our grilled cheese and I remember the first time she bought the Chef Boyardee Pizza I was so excited!

I was thinking about this the other day too. There was no shredded cheese in a bag. Oh no That was my job. We had a block of cheese and a shredder. This was for the mac and cheese.

My has America changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
My mom was the same....if she served "Four Cheese Baked Macaroni and Cheese" or "Three Bean Four Pepper Chili" it wasn't because she got the recipe out of a gourmet cookbook, it meant she was cleaning out the refrigerator.
Chili. We never ate cheese on our chili. We just ate chili. I don't know when it happened but we started having cheese on chili and eating it with tostitos. I eat it that way now too, but sour cream has evolved. Man.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM

Last night we went out to eat with some of SOs family. He got a hamburger. Ordered it as such. "I'll have a hamburger." The first thing the server did was ask him if he wanted cheese on it. I ordered a BLT. Someone else ordered bacon cheddar chili cheese fries for the table and we had none.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Oh we love cheese as well. I think I use sharpe cheddar the most. SO and I use about 1-2 8oz packages a week. Sometimes none.....

I just was looking back, and my parents didn't use cheese in cooking like we do today..
We use all kinds, depending on what we are making or using it on: Of course my favorites are blue cheese and swiss cheese, yes, I like good strong cheese, something I can taste, not something that sticks to the roof of my mouth or makes me wonder why I bothered using it. When I get cheese for baking with or to put on eggs, I like sharp cheddar as well. I usually get cheese for sandwhiches at the deli, I will get whatever is on sale, but it has to be real cheese and not cheese product. We keep Ramano or parmesan (spelling) to use with pasta. The one we never get and I mean never is the cheese that is wrapped in plastic: it isn't cheese at all, it tastes like nothing and the only positive is it does melt well, but lots of cheeses melt well, even for grilled cheese.

Nita

Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We use all kinds, depending on what we are making or using it on: Of course my favorites are blue cheese and swiss cheese, yes, I like good strong cheese, something I can taste, not something that sticks to the roof of my mouth or makes me wonder why I bothered using it. When I get cheese for baking with or to put on eggs, I like sharp cheddar as well. I usually get cheese for sandwhiches at the deli, I will get whatever is on sale, but it has to be real cheese and not cheese product. We keep Ramano or parmesan (spelling) to use with pasta. The one we never get and I mean never is the cheese that is wrapped in plastic: it isn't cheese at all, it tastes like nothing and the only positive is it does melt well, but lots of cheeses melt well, even for grilled cheese.

Nita
Its called cheese food product. That sounds nasty in itself.

I love blue and swiss cheeses....

Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Its called cheese food product. That sounds nasty in itself.

I love blue and swiss cheeses....
I think we all know too much cheese isn't the ideal thing to consume for our health, but I also look at it this way: we had cheese in the house from the time I can remember and that was before the days of buying packaged sliced cheese I will add: I grew up on it, have always loved it, I am much older than almost any of you, I do not have high BP ( I do have a few other problems though) dad died at 93, probably choked on a piece of cheese, so I will continue to enjoy it. Oh, as for on hamburgers, never anymore: that is one thing we are just paying extra for a few calories. The cheese they use is the fake stuff. I also have cut back on things like stuffed chicken breast with cheese, the cheese just melts, add calories, etc and the chicken tastes as good without the extra...Last night though, we had stuffed pork loin with spinich, swiss cheese and Procuitto: fattening, of you bet: good, oh, it was wonderful. I think we can all cut back some and yet, still enjoy our cheese.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:26 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
Last night we went out to eat with some of SOs family. He got a hamburger. Ordered it as such. "I'll have a hamburger." The first thing the server did was ask him if he wanted cheese on it. I ordered a BLT. Someone else ordered bacon cheddar chili cheese fries for the table and we had none.

Almost all appetizers have cheese, and most salads have some sort of cheese. We went to Ruby Tuesday's because I love their salad bar, and there were NINE different types of cheese on the bar.

The cheese industry must have had some successful marketing campaigns because now it seems cheese is in everything or on everything we eat, or sometimes on the side as a dip.

I placed a pizza order for a meeting at work a couple weeks ago, and since quite a few of the employees love cheese sticks, I ordered several servings of them. These cheese sticks are breadsticks with cheddar cheese inside, and topped with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. The employee told me that each serving came with a side of both nacho cheese dipping sauce and cheddar cheese dipping sauce, and did I want to order extra cheese sauce?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:02 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
I have cut down on my cheese eating, I use grated cheese alot, and shredded cheeses in salads or quesadilla's.I don't really snack on cheese because believe it or not 1 oz or 1 slice of cheese is 3 pts on weight watchers. I do eat low fat cottage cheese sometimes and part skim ricotta occasionally.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:04 PM

Yep, I've been cutting back and also when I buy it I get the lower fat cheeses.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,809,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Almost all appetizers have cheese, and most salads have some sort of cheese. We went to Ruby Tuesday's because I love their salad bar, and there were NINE different types of cheese on the bar.

The cheese industry must have had some successful marketing campaigns because now it seems cheese is in everything or on everything we eat, or sometimes on the side as a dip.

I placed a pizza order for a meeting at work a couple weeks ago, and since quite a few of the employees love cheese sticks, I ordered several servings of them. These cheese sticks are breadsticks with cheddar cheese inside, and topped with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. The employee told me that each serving came with a side of both nacho cheese dipping sauce and cheddar cheese dipping sauce, and did I want to order extra cheese sauce?
Those cheese sticks do not sound good to me. I prefer garlicky cheese sticks with just a bit of cheese melted on top and marinara sauce for dipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink