U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 AM
 
17 posts, read 59,944 times
Reputation: 31

Advertisements

I have had coil, solid element and glass cook top ranges. I went back to coil from the glass top range. I did not like the glass top range at all except for its appearance. I chose performance over appearance. The only thing I miss is the convection oven that came with the glass top range. I loved the convection oven part of the stove. I do miss that.

ETA I agree that Barkeepers' Friend is a lifesaver for the glass top ranges. If something boils over you can't really clean it very easily before it cools down and by then the substance has already cooked onto the glass. I came across Barkeepers Friend and tried it and was VERY pleased. It removes everything making the glass look new again. Even old baked on seemingly impossible to remove stuff comes off with BF. It doesn't scratch the glass either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
67,267 posts, read 76,982,323 times
Reputation: 36461
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromThere2Here View Post
I have had coil, solid element and glass cook top ranges. I went back to coil from the glass top range. I did not like the glass top range at all except for its appearance. I chose performance over appearance. The only thing I miss is the convection oven that came with the glass top range. I loved the convection oven part of the stove. I do miss that.

ETA I agree that Barkeepers' Friend is a lifesaver for the glass top ranges. If something boils over you can't really clean it very easily before it cools down and by then the substance has already cooked onto the glass. I came across Barkeepers Friend and tried it and was VERY pleased. It removes everything making the glass look new again. Even old baked on seemingly impossible to remove stuff comes off with BF. It doesn't scratch the glass either.
A confection oven is one thing I really wanted when our micro died, but our foster daughter was going to install whatever for us when she was here at Christmas and all 3 confections ovens we wanted were out of stock. We had to continue with our basic micro

As for not liking the glass top stoves, I guess I must be in the minority, but I have not a single complaint with ours. It is easy to clean, looks nice, I can work on it because it is an even surface and it cooks quickly and evenly, plus cools down quickly. Now, I will have to try BFriend for cleaning, though I have no problem with what we are using.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM
 
14,406 posts, read 28,892,795 times
Reputation: 16557
Well, I own a beautiful stainless steel GE Profile double oven glass-top electric that I bought last year for my birthday and I LOVE this thing. I have had many electric glasstops over the years, some are better than others. This one has a quality build to it, especially for the reasonable price paid. I have many size burners on it including a bridge burner for a griddle, and no problems heating up water. You do have to use a heavy enough pot with a completely flat bottom on it. I have no problems keeping it clean. I have had gas before, and I definitely prefer this range. The small top oven is perfect for pizza or small items, and the larger bottom oven is convection. If I ever move from this house I am taking it with me; because this particular model has been discontinued, although there is a newer version (that I don't like as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 PM
 
3,255 posts, read 3,428,949 times
Reputation: 3994
I have a Jenn-air with what is apparently called "Solid Element". I've been wondering what it's called, because i'm thinking of replacing the grill side with two more burners. We have a gas grill just steps outside the door on the deck now, and I haven't used the grill side in years. I've been on Jenn-Air's website, and they only make the coil now. Will this look goofy? Solid element on one side, coils on the other? (Sorry to hijack the thread.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM
 
8,268 posts, read 10,163,460 times
Reputation: 4743
We have a glass top, sadly no option for gas here. Haven't had any problems with uneven heating or cleaning it, if something is burned on just throw some Bar Keepers friend on there and it gets it looking brand new.

Biggest negative for me is how slow it is to lose heat. If I have a recipe that says bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer I usually switch burners since unwinding from higher heat takes too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 22,043,917 times
Reputation: 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Biggest negative for me is how slow it is to lose heat. If I have a recipe that says bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer I usually switch burners since unwinding from higher heat takes too long.
OK, you must have the radiant type of glasstop, which do have a temperature lag, as opposed to the induction type which change heat almost instantly. Some consider them superior even to gas stoves in this regard.

I guess a lot of folks didn't read the explanation I posted about the different types, because a number of posts since then are still not clear about which kind they are talking about. That's a shame. The difference between radiant glasstops and induction glasstops is like night and day, with induction stoves suffering because of the poor reputation of radiant coil glasstops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 22,043,917 times
Reputation: 10509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
A confection oven is one thing I really wanted when our micro died, but our foster daughter was going to install whatever for us when she was here at Christmas and all 3 confections ovens we wanted were out of stock.
Tee hee Nita.

Convection ovens (with a V) use a fan to move hot air around inside the oven, giving a more even heat, and allowing faster cooking or reheating times.

Convection ovens are made in three main types: gas, electric, and microwave, depending on the heat source used. There is even a hybrid type that uses electric heating coils AND a microwave emitter AND convection, but you might need to take out a second mortgage to pay for one.

Confections (with an F) are foods with a high sugar content. Confections are often baked in an oven. You could even bake confections in a convection oven, in which case I suppose you could call it a Convection Confection Oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
 
Location: ROTTWEILER & LAB LAND (HEAVEN)
2,407 posts, read 5,034,500 times
Reputation: 5986
We have glass top in our kitchen stove & a coil on our basement stove. I LOVE the glass top.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2012, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Edmond, OK
4,036 posts, read 8,628,460 times
Reputation: 4131
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We have a glass top, sadly no option for gas here. Haven't had any problems with uneven heating or cleaning it, if something is burned on just throw some Bar Keepers friend on there and it gets it looking brand new.

Biggest negative for me is how slow it is to lose heat. If I have a recipe that says bring to boil then reduce heat to simmer I usually switch burners since unwinding from higher heat takes too long.

Same here. It's ridiculously slow to cool down. Mine has a light beside each burner and it will go off when its cool to the touch. If I leave a pan sitting on a hot burner that has been turned off, our family can eat, and I can clean up the kitchen afterwards and and if I don't remember to move the pan off the burner when I start clean up, it will still be too hot to wipe down after I am finished with the dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Cary NC
1,033 posts, read 1,314,578 times
Reputation: 2355
Another fan of the glass top, I bought a more expensive model with a turbo boil burner and a warmer zone burner. I think it is so much easier to keep clean than my old coil stove. the few times in the last 3 years I've had something stuck on the surface I used a razor, like a window scraper and easily removed it, you just have to be careful. My sister has gas and loves the way it cooks but says it is a pain to clean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top