Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 06:00 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

It's time to replace my oven and sadly gas is not an option, and I like the idea of induction cooktops but not the price since I'm doing other kitchen renovation at the same time. I currently have a glass cooktop that I purchased a year ago and absolutely hate. It takes around 10 minutes to boil pasta water and keeping it clean, even with the "proper cleanser" is a real pain. Coil cooktops seem so old school but since I cook a lot I like the fact they heat up faster and cook more evenly than glass, and cool down quicker which is nice in a place like Florida. I guess my greatest concern is over resale potential with one versus the other since I'm moving in the next couple years but hopefully an oven type wouldn't deter too many buyers...?? Does anyone else recommend coils or am I being a weirdo? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's time to replace my oven and sadly gas is not an option, and I like the idea of induction cooktops but not the price since I'm doing other kitchen renovation at the same time. I currently have a glass cooktop that I purchased a year ago and absolutely hate. It takes around 10 minutes to boil pasta water and keeping it clean, even with the "proper cleanser" is a real pain. Coil cooktops seem so old school but since I cook a lot I like the fact they heat up faster and cook more evenly than glass, and cool down quicker which is nice in a place like Florida. I guess my greatest concern is over resale potential with one versus the other since I'm moving in the next couple years but hopefully an oven type wouldn't deter too many buyers...?? Does anyone else recommend coils or am I being a weirdo? Thanks!
wow, you hate your glass top: I am sure there are others that do as well, but I have never heard anyone say they hated their's. After we bought our first one, I knew, I would never go back to coils. Of course gas is the best, but if you don't have gas or for some reason have to stick with electic I think the glass tops are by far the best. I will be anxious to see what others say.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:36 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have gas but I have heard that the glass cook tops like Electrolux heat up water very fast. I know someone that has it and they love it.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
OK! I'm so with you:

1. I would LOVE gas, but it's not an option.
2. The coil burners look ancient and are ugly.
3. I hate the flat, glass cooktop that we used to have, for the same reasons that you mention, mostly that they took forever to get hot -- IF they got hot. For some stuff that I would cook, the pan just would not get hot enough... ever.

Then we bought this house in MA. The house had been completely redone, complete with appliances in the kitchen that still had their tags on them. And then I saw it: the flat glass stovetop. FEH!

BUT!

It's terrific! As good as gas? No. But it's a thousand times better -- I'd even venture to say it's good! -- than the one in our previous house.

It's the Kenmore Elite.

It has two ovens -- top and bottom. One is big, one is flatter.

There are five boilers on the stovetop. One is only to keep things warm. One is huge and has three "ring" sizes so, when you place your pot or pan on that ring, you have to specify the size. And one -- are you ready? -- is "Turbo Boil." I can put a huge pasta pot on it, filled with water, and I cannot even believe how quickly it comes to a boil. It's like magic.

I'd highly recommend the Kenmore Elite. (And even *I* can't believe that I can recommend a glass top.)

ETA: In terms of cleaning the top, get yourself a can of "Barkeeper's Friend." Amazing!

Last edited by DawnMTL; 07-24-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-24-2012, 08:57 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I've got glass top and I hate it, for all the same reasons. No it doesn't heat evenly at all. Just last night while cooking, I was noticing how only one spot in the pan as actually simmering (and this was using some really good cookware). I had to keep moving the pan around on the burner. And it requires special attention to keep it looking perfect. You can't just wipe it clean because if there's the least bit of grease, it just steaks and heaven help you if anything ever spills while cooking. I really don't like the idea of having to polish it every time I use it, so mine looks streaked most of the time. This is not my first glass top stove either. I've had 3. Two were black, so every little streak showed, and one white, which looked even worse than the black. When you wiped it off, it you left any little bit of residue on the surface, the next time you turned it on, it would turn brown. In my last house, we had a black one, which had something burned onto the surface. I tried every "special cleaner" on the market and could never get it completely off. When we remodel the kitchen, we are having a gas line run, so we can put in gas.

That said, if I had to replace it with electric and didn't want to pay for the induction kind, I would still put in glass, for the resale, if nothing else. When polished, they definitely look nicer and have a more modern and expensive look.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm looking to replace my coil stove, but because I do a lot of canning I need to make sure any stove I buy can handle a 21-quart pot loaded with boiling water for a few hours ...

Those glasstop stoves with the one huge burner look promising. I have a coil stove now and it's OK, but I live in fear of melting the metal burner supports with the heat of the canner. One good thing about a coil stove is that I can buy a special, heavy-duty canning burner.

Points to ponder.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
I rented an apartment for a couple years that had a glass top, and I haaaated it. Like yours, it took forever to heat up, and would not stay a constant heat. Cooking risotto was a disaster.

We bought a house last fall that had one in the kitchen, and I honestly almost discounted the house because I wanted gas so bad. BUT--it's been awesome. We have a Kitchenaid Superba Selectra and it's awesome. The oven portion heats up way faster than my gas oven did at my former rental house, and the burners heat up and cool down quite quickly.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,684,438 times
Glass top... so easy to clean.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
First of all since you are purchasing the appliance, I am going to assume that you are a home owner rather than a renter. Having said that, there is no reason why gas is not an option. You can always have a propane tank set in your back yard. If your back yard is small (or you live in a condo) you can get a small tank since all you are going to be doing with it is cooking.

If you are hell-bent on buying an electric range, my choice would depend on whether or not you do any canning since, if you do, you cannot have a glass top. Although they are easier to clean, I suppose. My understanding is that you have to buy special cleaning solution for them or they scratch badly.

Personally, I'd go with the tank.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
If you lose your power, you can still cook with gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink