Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times

Advertisements

I was a major Coke drinker for most of my life. Stopped drinking the real thing in 2005 since as I was getting older and starting to gain weight. I hoped that I would drop a few pounds and lose an inch or two around the waist. Never lost a pound and never lost even a smidgen of an inch. My main beverage now is unsweetened iced tea, with an occasional diet coke. If I could go back in time, I would not have stopped drinking Coke. I believe that people are more prone to Diabetes because of overall lifestyle habits and heredity. I exercise, generally eat well, and get enough sleep. Diabetes and other diseases do not run in my family.

What is scary is that medical tests that were commonly done on people much older are now being done on young people. A friend is an RN in a colonoscopy division of a local medical center and says that they are now being done on people in their late 20's and early 30's. This is lifestyle, imo. A lifetime of fast food can be a killer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
I don't care much for soda by itself - it's gotta have a couple of scoops of ice cream in it!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I drink diet pepsi at least 2 cans a day.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
I was a major Coke drinker for most of my life. Stopped drinking the real thing in 2005 since as I was getting older and starting to gain weight. I hoped that I would drop a few pounds and lose an inch or two around the waist. Never lost a pound and never lost even a smidgen of an inch. My main beverage now is unsweetened iced tea, with an occasional diet coke. If I could go back in time, I would not have stopped drinking Coke. I believe that people are more prone to Diabetes because of overall lifestyle habits and heredity. I exercise, generally eat well, and get enough sleep. Diabetes and other diseases do not run in my family.

What is scary is that medical tests that were commonly done on people much older are now being done on young people. A friend is an RN in a colonoscopy division of a local medical center and says that they are now being done on people in their late 20's and early 30's. This is lifestyle, imo. A lifetime of fast food can be a killer.
our granddaughter, who is an RN, and in a litle over a year, if all goes well will be a Nurse Practioner said, just the other night: many of these tests are done because doctors are scared of mal practice suits: same reason they often over medicate. I think the testing, has to do with what she said, what you said but also the advancement in medicine. Until about 15 years ago no one ever heard of some of these tests and cancer killed wasn't curable or treatable like it is today. Even when it comes to diabetes, until 20 years ago we were not tested for it either, until we were seniors, thus a lot of the cases, went undiagnosed until serious systems developed: the same with heart problems.

Nita

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,376,988 times
Used to drink soda when I was younger but have switched to coffee and tea 6-7 cups a day.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
We hardly ever drink soda.....if we do, I drink about 4-5 oz....a 12 oz. bottle lasts me quite a while...

Those "big gulps"......never, ever understood why anyone needs that much liquid!!!!

Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,420,037 times
We always have a have a few different types of sodas in the house.. Mostly for guests though.
I drink like one a week if even..

Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I crave soda especially in the summer. We only drink diet and I have to have it at dinner time. Other times during the day I drink water or coffee.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:33 PM

749 posts, read 2,771,034 times
I dont drink pop, coffee or tea. Give me iced tap water and I am happy!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I try to cut back on my soda consumption by drinking flavored water. But if we have it, and I'm not paying attention, I can easily drink 4 cans (or equivalent via 2 liter) of Diet Coke a day in addition to my morning coffee and at least 8 glasses of water or tea a day. I drink a LOT of liquid now that I'm older. Before I turned 30, I didn't drink much of anything. I had a really hard time drinking 32 oz of water a DAY.

When I first met my hubby, I'd buy a 2 liter and it would last me two weeks or more, and I'd end up throwing out what I didn't drink. Then I met him. He would drink two 2 liters a day! I made him switch to diet, and he drank less (but not much, still at about 5-6 cans a day - though he has added sugar free Kool aid and it helps some).

The thing is, my consumption has gone waaaay up - I could NEVER finish a 32 oz "Supersize" drink when we met. Now, I can polish it off without thinking, easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink