U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:12 AM

2,050 posts, read 1,187,368 times

Advertisements

Was is the company, the atmosphere, part of a vacation experience, something that happened???
Where was it, what did you have, and why was it so special??

My ex and I used to go to 2 or 3 Minn Twins games a year, and we always ate at a place called Lou Nye's Polonaise room in Minneapolis. I always had the prime rib and O'Brien hashbrowns (the best). The atmosphere was so retro and they occasionally had music then. The place is still going strong, but I haven't been there in 20+ years. All around a great experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM

38,803 posts, read 19,604,181 times
I've had several memorable restaurant experiences that stand out including (but not in any particular order):

- The Marine Room in La Jolla - Super expensive breakfast brunch but yummy as heck. It was memorable as we had a small family reunion there

- Tusker House Restaurant in the Animal Kingdom theme park (Walt Disney World) was well worth the $25 cover charge. It was an extremely delicious all-you-can-eat African themed buffet. That, along with posing with Goofy, made my day

- I just celebrated my birthday this month at this yummy Asian fusion all-you-can-eat restaurant while in Toronto (I believe it was called "Spring Roll" - It was on Queen Street if my memory serves me right). It was not buffet style but rather the food is prepared to order. I started off conservatively by ordering four items. Since the servings were small, I was able to eat 7 different items and my taste buds were extremely happy that day. The waiter actually did not charge me for my dessert in honor of my birthday

- Another experience was when one of my girlfriends took me and another mutual friend to a favorite Thai restaurant (Mink Quan, Long Beach, CA). This was a favorite restaurant of ours and we were introducing it to our mutual friend. She was going through a rough season and thoroughly enjoyed herself and the food

Old 07-28-2012, 12:34 PM

38,725 posts, read 45,198,973 times
My most memorable one's are the one's where someone else paid for the meal...

Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM

34,756 posts, read 42,901,587 times
Of course there have been many times where the company was fun and the food was secondary, but if you are talking about the food.. We stopped in at Hyde Park in Fairlawn Ohio. Hyde Park is a steakhouse of the same type as Ruth's Chris or Mortons. We didn't have a reservation and we didn't know that there was a group playing in the lounge.
There was a group of old black men playing blues that was fabulous. We had a few drinks and listened. Then we went to our table and had steaks, lyonnaise potatoes and grilled asparagus. Fabulous music, fabulous food. I don't think anything has ever topped it.
There was one time when we were on a cruise with a bunch of people. We were on St Jean beach on St Bart's and decided to have some lunch at a place on the beach. We ate lobster on a bench in our bathing suits and the lunch was $75. This was in 1995. That was memorable because it was good and it was also the most expensive lunch we ever had. It still is.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 PM

16,963 posts, read 19,751,319 times
2002 at Cafe D'artiste in NYC, it's where my husband propsed to me. 2005 our Honeymmon in San Francisco we went to Gary Dankos and had a wonderful meal, for dessert they brought out 2 desserts and in chocolate they wrote congratulations on getting married.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:23 AM

12,054 posts, read 19,685,061 times
My best meals are usually in Sint Maarten. The most memorable was at Mary's Boon on the beach in August about 20 years ago. At that time, Mary's had a different menu every night, with usually two two specialties, along with an honor bar. I know that one of the specialties that night was shrimp creole. We had the place to ourselves, ocean front with huge windows so it was just like eating right on the beach.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My best meals are usually in Sint Maarten. The most memorable was at Mary's Boon on the beach in August about 20 years ago. At that time, Mary's had a different menu every night, with usually two two specialties, along with an honor bar. I know that one of the specialties that night was shrimp creole. We had the place to ourselves, ocean front with huge windows so it was just like eating right on the beach.
I love St Maaten..

Nita

Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 AM

69,463 posts, read 79,700,409 times
wow, I can think of about 4 or 5 that are both memorable and great: I guess the first would have to be the my husbands 22nd birthday, we had been married about 6 months, and I wanted to take him someplace special (in Hollywood) well his knee popped out (which used to happen years ago, a basketball injury) and he couldn't drive that well. I didn't even have a license yet: We ended up going to a place, about 10 miles from where we lived. It overlooked the Pacific ocean and had valet parking (we didn't even know what that was in those days) Anyway, we went in, got seated and looked at the velveteen covered menues. I was afraid we didn't have enough money; this was before the days of credit cards. Luckily we found swordfish steak which we could afford (you know how many years ago it was if swordfish was one of th cheapest menu items. We still had enough for one drink and a tip. I think the bill was about $14.00. In those days standard tip was 10 to 12%. I had a $20.00 bill so I gave the guy a full 12%. Of course the restaurant is no longer in Redondo beach.

The next place that comes to mind was the Rainbow room in NYC, overlooking the sites of New York. city. It was awesome and really not all that pricey compared to what we expected. Now don't ask about memorible without being wonderful. I am sure we all have a lot of thsoe memorable, awful places to talk about.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,681,231 times
I've had many memorable meals over the years, in various parts of the world, some fancy, some simple, some with friends, some alone...

Fresh caught lobster on the white sandy beach in Puerto Morales, Mexico, with dancing...
Haggis with "tatties and neeps" (mashed potatoes and rutabaga) at The White Horse, on the Grass Market in Edinburgh...
Everything herbed, with matched wines, at The Herb Farm near Seattle...
Chomping a burger at Nepenthe in Big Sur, while listening to the seals barking...
My first deep dish Sicilian style pizza at Pizzeria Due in Chicago...
Omikase by sushi master Masa in NYC with my buddy from Paris...
Cioppino on the dock in Sausalito on a perfect day with a perfect companion...
So many wonderful times.

But the one that floats up to the top for me was a simple early dinner I had at The White Horse Tavern in Newport, Rhode Island when I was a young man. I was newly living in NYC, newly working as a salesman, and had just finished a week of making calls throughout New England, when at about 5 on Friday afternoon I had to make a choice between heading back home to the city and having a late dinner, starting the long drive back and grabbing dinner on the road, or having dinner first before starting back.

Thumbing through my AAA guidebook for anything interesting in the area I noticed the listing for The White Horse Tavern, which mentioned it was the oldest tavern in America, built as a house in 1652, and opened as a tavern in 1673. It had been an important meeting place in colonial times and it served a "colonial style" menu, and somehow it just called to me. And it was conveniently located nearby. So I stopped by. Lucky me.

Indeed it was very colonial in style, with handhewn heavy timbers, and fireplace and furniture and details to match, and I just breathed in its authenticity. The menu listed Shepherd's Pie as "Jefferson's favorite!" and whether truth or marketing, the comment grabbed me. So Shepherd's Pie it was to be.

There was a simple, delicious soup to start my dinner, and then the pie, savory and fragrant, meaty and satisfying, followed by a scrumptious Indian Pudding. Best of all, I was offered a small glass of complimentary homemade wine, made from a local wild grape, and it was exquisite, easily the most memorable glass of wine I've ever had, at least partly because I was expecting so little. But it was truly a nectar of the gods.

Everything about the meal was like that, simple and exquisite and memorable. My server in colonial style dress was warm and welcoming. I had the place to myself until others started arriving near the end of my repast, so nothing broke the illusion that I was actually seated in a colonial tavern, not far from where one of my ancestors had fist set foot in 1630. I could see the changing colors of the sunset out the windows as I pondered the great parade of people who must have come through these rooms in the last 300 years. I felt completely at peace with the world.

It was a peak experience, what some people call flow time, or others might call it magical. For me it was simply a perfect meal.

Many years later The White Horse Tavern is still there, with different owners and a different menu concept, but it is still rated one of the best eating places in the state:
History - The White Horse Tavern

Last edited by OpenD; 07-30-2012 at 05:04 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM

12,054 posts, read 19,685,061 times
I forgot~~The White Barn Inn in Kennebunkport, Maine. We ate their on our honeymoon. DH works with someone who is getting married in that area next week and he asked where a good restaurant was. We had a wonderful dinner there and they treated us like royalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or