Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 01:30 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times

Advertisements

My daughter's attempt at making shrimp scampi with grape juice because we were out of white wine and she thought it would be just as good along with a handful of capers

my mom's nasty, dry meat rocks (hamburgers) and salad seasoned with cinnamon

Old 07-31-2012, 01:49 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
That's freakin' gross! How did you even eat it?!
Yeah, it was freakin' gross. The food came out of the refrigerator right into a hot pan. The dishes came out of the steamy dishwasher. I was watching. Still.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
Once at a potluck a coworker brought a huge homemade cake. A full-size sheet pan, 18x26 inches. It looked tasty--from all appearances, chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I knew this coworker had some strange dietary habits but I figured that for a potluck, and for a cake that big, she would have made a "normal" cake. Wrong! She handed me a piece the size of a brick and as I took a bite proceeded to tell me it was made without butter, eggs, milk, or sugar. And it wasn't chocolate, it was carob!

It was like chewing on a carob-scented kitchen sponge. I didn't even want to know what was in the frosting. I choked down the one bite to be polite and then said, "Thank you, but I have to get back to work so I'm going to eat it at my desk." Other people must have had the same idea because when I got back to my desk there were already two other pieces of cake in the garbage can in our work area.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
When I was in college I was invited to my then boyfriend's house for dinner. His mother served ALL the "good" Norweigian dishes. Blood sausage, lutefisk, and sutesupe. I have no idea how to spell that. Apparently it's uncooked or raw tapioca. It felt like little eyeballs in my mouth.
One time we invited my brother in law and his girlfriend over for dinner. They asked what they could bring. I said, oh you don't need to bring anything. They insisted. She brought a can of peas. ??????

Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Curried caulieflower.. I ordered it by mistake as hadnt my glasses , I saw the waiter look at me but he shrugged and went off... 15 mins. later back he came with what looked like a tan brain on a big plate, I felt sick and had to pretend I was enjoying it..

Old 07-31-2012, 03:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
My boyfriend's family never, I mean never, uses any seasoning in their meals, and they don't even have salt & pepper. So every meal is bland, dry, and begging for salt.

They have these brunches where they serve homemade "hash browns," but instead of being browned and crispy, they are just white and sweaty potatoes. No salt & pepper went into making them, and there's none to be found on the table. Then there are the eggs: scrambled-ish, omelette-ish, just barely cooked beaten eggs, with no flavoring. I kind of think of it as eating at a nursing home. They all say "mmmmm," and tell their mom how great everything is.

Then they invite us over for cookouts, but it's just always hamburgers & hotdogs. And the only condiments are ketchup and mustard. I like interesting barbeque sauces, even A-1 steak sauce. But I'm not even allowed to bring my own condiments, because he says they'll be insulted. So I choke down a dry flavorless burger on a grocery-store bun. When we grill at home, it's always cool stuff--steaks, different kinds of fish, gourmet burgers with funky ingredients kneaded into them. To me, plain old store-made burgers are an insult to your guests. And again, when I offer to bring some fish or steaks, I hear that it would insult them.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
My grandmother's meatloaf. She was, for all intents and purposes, an excellent Southern cook. But her meatloaf, made without onion or any spices because of my grandfather's ulcer, was horrible. To add insult to injury, there was a cooked whole egg in the middle, for some strange reason.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
My grandmother's meatloaf. She was, for all intents and purposes, an excellent Southern cook. But her meatloaf, made without onion or any spices because of my grandfather's ulcer, was horrible. To add insult to injury, there was a cooked whole egg in the middle, for some strange reason.
Judging from my collection of old cookbooks, that whole egg in the middle of meatloaf was popular back in the 60's.

Apparently you had to center a whole hard cooked egg in the exact middle of the raw meat mixture. Or if the cook wanted to get really fancy she would place several eggs inside so that every slice of meatloaf would contain hard cooked egg. Brilliant.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:59 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
An ex Jewish mother-in-law's gefiltefish which she made from scratch for the Seder dinner every year. Totally convinced that this was the best gefiltefish in the whole world and that nobody made it better, not a soul had the temerity to disagree with her. Absolutely tasteless, the grey blobs had the texture of old wallpaper paste and the only way I could get them down was to douse them liberally with gobs of horseradish ... then sit on the plastic-wrapped living room furniture and hope that the scrunching of the material successfully disguised the farts which ensued shortly thereafter.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:03 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
It's cool. Some people have taste buds that work, and some people don't. Mine do. It was bad. Maybe you can hire a chef to help you expand your palate. Then you might notice those ribs are burnt to a crisp and rice beef fat pudding is disgusting. Up to you. The choice is yours.

PS I think hiring a chef for a 16 year old boy spending the night would be slightly excessive.
I think very few people would be able to stomach beef fat pudding and burned to charcoal ribs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink