Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times

Advertisements

Lily's Caesar dressing.

I'll -occasionally- (maybe twice a year) buy Marzetti's chunky bleu.

Mostly though I make my own tahini dressing, bleu cheese dressing, or use oil and vinegar, or even oil and lemon juice. The only reason I don't make caesar from scratch is you have to make a lot of it, and I'm the only one who eats it, so I'd end up having to throw most of it away (it's made with raw egg).

So I get the bottled stuff, that has some preservatives and pasteurized egg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 07:27 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The only reason I don't make caesar from scratch is you have to make a lot of it, and I'm the only one who eats it, so I'd end up having to throw most of it away (it's made with raw egg).
But you can easily pasteurize raw eggs yourself, which not only makes it safer to eat the mayonnaise or salad dressing or whatever you make with it, but also makes it keep longer in the fridge.

Here's one simple way:
How-to Pasteurize Eggs :: www.howtobaker.com

Old 08-02-2012, 08:58 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Marie's Blue Cheese.
Lately, we are eating a lot of Kraft Green Goddess. I have no idea what's in it, but it's the dressing of choice lately.
Any kind of Italian, or vinaigrette, I always make from scratch. I think the bottled kinds are harsh tasting.
We'll try the Ken's Steakhouse Caesar.

When my parents were young, they used to go to Ken's Steakhouse on special occasions. I wonder if the actual restaurant is still there? This would have been in the 1940s and 50s.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 AM

45,357 posts, read 60,546,019 times
You can get Green Goddess? I haven't been able to get it here for 20 years.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
There is a tomato and bacon dressing I used to like I think kraft makes it but I have not seen it lately

Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There was a long period of time where I could never find Green Goddess, but they carry it in the stores around here. In Little Rock they only had it at one little specialty grocery store.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
I get it at Publix.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:46 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I'm mostly a homemade dressing maker, but I do have to purchase the following every so often:

1) Cardini's Caesar Dressing (supposedly the original Caesar's recipe)

2) The triangle-shaped-bottle-whose-name-currently-escapes-me Caesar

3) Blush Wine Vinaigrette - Briannas , on a salad of baby spinach, goat cheese, and slivered almonds.

4) That yummy refrigerated bleu cheese stuff
The triangle shaped bottle you refer to is Girard's. The Champagne is my favorite of this brand.

That yummy blue cheese stuff is most likely Marie's or Bob's Famous. Another childhood favorite.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
I have some in my fridge right now, but it isn't like what we remember from those days gone by, it is nothing different from ranch except the color.

I usually have 2 or 3 kinds of homemade dressing in the rridge and rarely use prepared ones, but it I do I like any of Ken's dressings and there is another one that come in a bottle that is more narrow at the top. The one we like is changaign dressing. Other than that I pretty much make mustard vinegarette, always keep home made blue chiise dressing in the fridge and homemade thousand Islnad. Hubby's very favorite is just lemon juice, a little Olive Oil and a litle parmensan cheese on top.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:53 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The triangle shaped bottle you refer to is Girard's. The Champagne is my favorite of this brand.

That yummy blue cheese stuff is most likely Marie's or Bob's Famous. Another childhood favorite.
OMG, that is the post I just made, it was about Girard's and yes, the Champagne, I had forgotten what kind it was as well. Thanks Bulldogdad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink