U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:44 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times

Advertisements

Of course, good knives and pots and pans. I got a salad dressing bottle I can't live without. It's one of the ones with the recipes and amounts on the side. Don't measure nothing, just pour it in 'til the fill lines.

It's very similiar to this.
Amazon.com: Kolder Salad Dressing Bottle: Home & Kitchen
But mine's from Daiso so the recipes are in Japanese. I use it to make Chinese sesame oil dressing, like, every week. Man, that stuff is addictive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 PM

12,971 posts, read 22,625,162 times
On of my secret weapons is a Peugeot Nutmeg Shaver. Most people have never even heard of them, much less seen one. You put a whole fresh nutmeg in one and turn the crank, and it turns the nutmeg against two microserrated blades which shave off very thin crumbly slices of the most aromatic nutmeg you can imagine. And THAT becomes a secret ingredient in my cooking.

I grate nutmeg over fresh pasta, for instance, especially if I'm just tossing it with butter and cheese. And sauteed carrots, and chicken soup, and scrambled eggs. People almost never guess what it is, but they notice something mysterious and special and they like it.

Peugeot Tidore Nutmeg Shaver - PC Fallon

Old 08-03-2012, 07:35 PM

http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...ble-peeler.jpg
Once I went to a T handle vegetable peeler, I never went back to the other kind. It's sooooo much more easier to use.
Plus you can just peel the crap of something and have thin, delicious shavings. I thnk it's a lot faster than the straight kind, too. I bought one for my mom and she was amazed at the difference.
Vegetable Peelers - Cook's Illustrated

Old 08-03-2012, 07:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,623,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/...ble-peeler.jpg
Once I went to a T handle vegetable peeler, I never went back to the other kind. It's sooooo much more easier to use.
Plus you can just peel the crap of something and have thin, delicious shavings. I thnk it's a lot faster than the straight kind, too. I bought one for my mom and she was amazed at the difference.
Vegetable Peelers - Cook's Illustrated
I only use t-handle peelers as well, for the same reason. They're perfect for shaving parmasean cheese. Mine also has a little bladed loop on one end, for removing stems from fruits.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
Bird's beak knife - I have used my bird's beak knife every day for years....mine is a Wusthof....it is perfect for taking the cores out of strawberries, pealing small pieces of fruit, coring apples - so many things - love it!

Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 AM

22,706 posts, read 21,760,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
On of my secret weapons is a Peugeot Nutmeg Shaver. Most people have never even heard of them, much less seen one. You put a whole fresh nutmeg in one and turn the crank, and it turns the nutmeg against two microserrated blades which shave off very thin crumbly slices of the most aromatic nutmeg you can imagine. And THAT becomes a secret ingredient in my cooking.

I grate nutmeg over fresh pasta, for instance, especially if I'm just tossing it with butter and cheese. And sauteed carrots, and chicken soup, and scrambled eggs. People almost never guess what it is, but they notice something mysterious and special and they like it.

Oh, imagine that, someone else on earth (other than me) owns a nutmeg shaver.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

I'm going to try this, and thanks for the link. I've been using a mini scraper.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,488,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, imagine that, someone else on earth (other than me) owns a nutmeg shaver.
I'm a nutmeg person too. I have a nutmeg grater and I too use fresh nutmeg on vegetables, desserts and main courses - I little bit does it, but nutmeg is a lovely spice for sure.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM

12,971 posts, read 22,625,162 times
Giving away all my secrets here...

Another simple, inexpensive handy gadget I use all the time... a sesame seed grinder. You can find them in Asian markets. You get much more sesame taste when you break the seeds this way, because it releases the oil inside. It also makes them much more digestible and bio-available.

Amazon.com: sesame seed grinder

And while I'm on a roll with the grinder theme, besides the different pepper grinders I have for black, white, and tri-color peppers, I also have a salt grinder...

Like many others, I've found as I get older I have needed to reduce the salt in my diet. I got rid of the salt shakers in my house years ago, and I've learned.... against all odds... to cook without adding salt, using other flavor enhancers instead. Hence the various peppers, and various other herb grinders I have collected. The flavors are *much* brighter when you grind herbs and spices just before using.

But when I occasionally do need salt, or want to offer it to a guest, I want the best, and to me that means whole, unrefined sea salt. A lot of people don't know that while refined table salt is virtually pure sodium chloride, unrefined sea salt contains a lot of other nutritionally important minerals and can be as low as 82% sodium chloride. That's why the taste is different. And you get a lot more *boom* from salt that you grind on top of food, just before eating, than you do from cooking with it, so you can reduce the total salt amount used.

I have a high end ceramic grinder, but these are plenty good...

Amazon.com: salt grinder

Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
I guess the two handy dandy gadgets I love the most are: 1-my zester. I have tried a million kinds and finally ended up with a basice cheapy that works beautifully. I also would be lost without my lemon/line juiser: the little $5 yellow one from WalMart. I thought I would go nuts over my garlic press, but as I get older and my hands get weaker, it is hard to squeeze the garlice through. I still use it a couple times a week, but it isn't fun...Of course none of these are things you haven't heard of.

One my dad used to use and I have seen used on TV a few times was what he called a China Cap or hat. It was a masher, food mill type of gadget that was shaped like a cone. I got his after his death but rarely used it.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink