Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

I got one. I do not remember when or where I got it. But there it sits, in the cupboard above my fridge.
Anyone still use these? I remember it being on the table when I was a kid. Then, it just kind of disappeared. I should throw the thing away. We've never, ever used it. But for some reason, I never do.
Is It Safe to Leave Butter Out at Room Temperature? - Nagging Question - Food News - CHOW
Speaking of that, anyone use a French butter dish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 07:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I got one. I do not remember when or where I got it. But there it sits, in the cupboard above my fridge.
Anyone still use these? I remember it being on the table when I was a kid. Then, it just kind of disappeared. I should throw the thing away. We've never, ever used it. But for some reason, I never do.
Is It Safe to Leave Butter Out at Room Temperature? - Nagging Question - Food News - CHOW

I have a covered butter dish and our family will use a pound of butter in about 2-3 days. I also have a bread bin as well, probably not many people left have those either.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:09 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
If you don't have a butter dish, what do you put your butter in?

We always have one in the fridge. I don't like soft butter, the harder the better so I keep it in the fridge 24/7. My dh likes soft butter so he sets it out about 15 minutes before dinner if he is going to use it.

I couldn't function without a butter dish. We have two. One plastic one for day to day and one very nice cut crystal one for special occasions.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
I have several traditional butter dishes and also a Butter Bell Amazon.com: Norpro Stoneware Butter Keeper: Home & Kitchen

During the cooler months I have no problem leaving butter out on the counter, but in Houston there are not many cooler months. We have started using Land O' Lakes soft butter for toast and stuff, but still use stick butter for cooking.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I have a gorgeous glass domed covered butter dish, from the late 1920s or 30s that I got at an estate sale. I always use a butter dish.

I also leave my butter out...I leave out small portions at at a time (half a stick or so) it gets used quickly and doesn't go rancid. I can't tolerate butter that's not spreadable. I chill stick butter that I use for cooking/baking, because it's easier to cut/measure.

I am 35. I don't think most people in my age group use a butter dish. My mom and grandmas all did, though, I grew up with it.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
I have several butter dishes as well as the bell saver things.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you don't have a butter dish, what do you put your butter in?
I use a butter dish because it fits in the small compartment on my refrigerator door. I don't want use something bigger and have to store my butter on a rack where it will take up needed space.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:45 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I have several but haven't used them in years. The butter that we get at the farmer's market comes in a tub but I just can't bring myself to throw out those old dishes. I also have quite a collection of those old glass juicers that I do use--none of those fancy electric ones for me.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Yes, I use a butter bell on the counter, which seals the butter against air, and keeps it fresh at room temperature for easy spreadability for more than a week. Butter kept in a bell tastes so much better than cold butter, and it melts easily on hot food.

The Original Butter Bell Crock by L. Tremain, Maraschino Red: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,762,350 times
I've got a pyrex butter dish in the frige, as well a butter bell. The butter in the fridge is used for cooking. Once I open a stick , I put the unused portion in the pyrex dish and put it in the dairy thing in the door of my fridge. I usually keep butter for the table in the butter bell, but with the weather as hot as it is now, I don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink