U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
3,136 posts, read 2,457,356 times
Reputation: 9304

Advertisements

I live in Florida, I laugh at the people drinking the restaurant water...

 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
16,504 posts, read 23,002,555 times
Reputation: 12806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Nope, at this place they give the water to everyone. You don't have to ask for the water.

I also don't believe this slight would have happened to EVERYONE. I doubt it would happen to me if I were a White Male. A caucasian male would never have been treated the way I did. Males generally always receive better treatment...
Like I said, I'm going to ask my Tall White Male husband, but I'm pretty sure he's going to say that yes, occasionally, this or something similar has happened to him. He may have to think about it, though, in order to remember something so trivial.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
 
8,326 posts, read 22,531,475 times
Reputation: 8072
OP, you're making a very false assumption that guys get treated any better than you did ...

And I wouldn't give it the energy that you are now giving it.

You'd have spent less energy by simply getting the attention of the waitstaff and asking for what you needed.

That's what I have to do from time to time, and I eat out alone many times in my travels as a manufacturer's rep, so I can assure you that crappy waitstaff service ... be it intentional or an oversight ... happens to all of us.

Since I only drink water at a restaurant ... no coffee, no soft drinks, etc. ... I get put on ignore more frequently than not, and refills don't seem to get much priority in many restaurants even when I ask them to leave the pitcher of water.

I've even had to get up from my table and contact the waitstaff ... or a couple of times, I've gotten up and served myself from the waitstation. Sometimes, the staff gets the message ... sometimes, they don't.

Being ignored for the basics earns it's rewards. Tip accordingly. I carry loose change for the purpose.

If it makes you feel better, write the bad review and post it. But unless you know that you were being discriminated against for your small stature, it's not going to resonate with most folk. The staff told you you got poor service because they were busy, not because you were a single woman patron.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
Reputation: 16312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Nope, at this place they give the water to everyone. You don't have to ask for the water.

I also don't believe this slight would have happened to EVERYONE. I doubt it would happen to me if I were a White Male. A caucasian male would never have been treated the way I did. Males generally always receive better treatment...
Actually, I disagree with this. I get much better treatment than my husband does. Not because I'm louder (I am) but because I'm a PETITE FEMALE. Ironic, huh? Yet true. Waiters like me more than they like my hairy husband. Waitresses do, too, actually because I'm friendly.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 1,470,616 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I live in Florida, I laugh at the people drinking the restaurant water...
It's not about the water but about respect.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 1,470,616 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Actually, I disagree with this. I get much better treatment than my husband does. Not because I'm louder (I am) but because I'm a PETITE FEMALE. Ironic, huh? Yet true. Waiters like me more than they like my hairy husband. Waitresses do, too, actually because I'm friendly.
It's my opinion that white males are generally always treated with the most deference and respect by cashiers/waiters/sales associates; people assume they have power and money. I'm a small female but I ALSO have money; however I feel that most people don't accord me the same respect as they would a white guy. I guess I am power hungry and secretly want to be perceived as powerful. I hate being petite and frequently overlooked (even physically once since someone didn't see me because I was too short).
 
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
Reputation: 16312
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
It's my opinion that white males are generally always treated with the most deference and respect by cashiers/waiters/sales associates; people assume they have power and money. I'm a small female but I ALSO have money; however I feel that most people don't accord me the same respect as they would a white guy. I guess I am power hungry and secretly want to be perceived as powerful. I hate being petite and frequently overlooked (even physically once since someone didn't see me because I was too short).
Please read my first response to your original post. It's on the first page. Then you'll see where I'm coming from.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 1,470,616 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Please read my first response to your original post. It's on the first page. Then you'll see where I'm coming from.
I read it twice. I just have a different opinion; that's all. To me; it is a big deal and yes, it is because I choose it to be that way. I admit I have a tendency to think everything is about me but in my mind, yes, I was ignored because of who I am. That's just how I interpret it.
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Charlotte county, Florida
3,136 posts, read 2,457,356 times
Reputation: 9304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
It's not about the water but about respect.
Seriously, we dont get table water here unless we ask for it.
I do understand where you are coming from tho..
 
Old 08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 1,470,616 times
Reputation: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Seriously, we dont get table water here unless we ask for it.
I do understand where you are coming from tho..
I believe you. This restaurant is different though. I even asked the waiter to confirm when I paid and he did. I looked around; every table received water except me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top