Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 02:49 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times

Advertisements

My mom has many things from her grandmother who was born in Germany and came here when she was 18. She was born in the 1800's and lived to be 97. Anyway she gave me 3 things from her kitchen, a cast iron pot with glass lid that I just cleaned the rust off of and seasoned, a meat cleaver, and chopper. Here are some pictures.

Meat cleaver, well made not like the junk you buy today

chopper/dough cutter

Cast iron pot that my great grandma would make beef stew and chicken in.

My mom also has her rolling pin, coffee grinder and Iron. It's a heavy cast iron that you would heat up on the stove and then iron your clothes with. In order to come to America she had to pay her passage by becoming an indentured servant. My mom and I were reminiscing today about her. She gave me the stuff last night. I plan to use the pot but the other 2 items are just for show. Is it possible that this pot came with the glass lid?? It fits so we assume it may have. We also have her toaster, it was one of those where you lay the bread against it and place over the gas stove to make toast. I am not sure how else to describe it. It meant so much to me to have these things since my great grandmother died when I was 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:03 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,088,778 times
My most favorite is my huge oval Wagner Aluminum roaster which was my grandma's. Mine is like the second one from the left in the picture on the following: Wagner Ware Magnalite 4263 4265 4267 4269 Oval Aluminum Roaster Set w Trivets ms1 - QueensOfCookware

Plus I have several vintage aprons which are long and prevent spills during holiday cooking times.

Last edited by rural chick; 08-19-2012 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM

The cast iron pot I showed is wagner ware too! It's nice to have a peice of your ancestors in your kitchen isn't it?

Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,077 times
I have my grandmother's pyrex mixing bowls and I love them!

Old 08-19-2012, 09:23 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,161 times
Lubby, thanks again for great posts today! I have ten cast iron skillets that range over three generations. They've been discussed quite a bit on another thread regarding cornbread. When I moved this summer they went into the hotel room with me while we waited on our townhouse.

I love, love, love old kitchen things -- especially family ones. It is wonderful having some of your ancestors things. I'll write some more about my additional kitchen gadgets the next few days.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
My mother was widowed at age 50 and essentially stopped cooking for anybody other than herself about that time. She made a cross country move and had to pare down a great deal and I was still single then myself so I did not get much from her. But I did get a few special kitchen items which I treasure. One is a little wooden toothpick holder which was made in Germany when we were stationed there in the 50's. It is a little man with a big red painted mouth where the toothpicks go. And a few nice aprons as well.

No cast iron pots or pans, knives or anything like that but a lot of useless fancy crystal and china which she could not bring herself to get rid of. I've been hauling that mess around myself for over 35 years and I don't know how to get rid of it myself. My grown daughter has already warned me I better not try to cast it off to her cause she doesn't want it either.
Those of you with warm memories and family utensils are surely lucky.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,856,735 times
I have my grandma's cookie cutters. My mom doesn't cook much and I wouldn't want her stuff...she's more likely to end up with my kitchen castoffs than the other way around.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM

My mom also has my grandmother's mixing bowl. It's ceramic, bisque colored, and it has a floral design on one side with blue trim on the rim of the bowl.It is in excellent condition and she wants me to have it. My grandmother made her butterhorn cookies in this bowl, that's all she used it for. This thread got me thinking about my heritage so I am going to join ancestry.com.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Lots of stuff- cast iron, handcrank coffee mill, meat grinder, food slicer, bunch of bakelite and early fiesta wear stuff.

My favorite which I dont use are the Heavy Aluminum Guardian Wear from the 1930's with all the glass lids and an ice bucket. No one in the family wanted the stuff when she passed so I took it.

Only thing I actually use is the cast iron. Love the non textured surface of the only stuff.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
My husband's grandfather was a butcher and my mother-in-law gave us a few tools of his trade as mementos:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink