Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Well, it's just me and my husband here (no kids in the picture) and I have a home cooked meal from scratch on the stove nearly every single night when he comes home from work. He sees me looking through recipes, grocery ads, etc. and he knows that I am always on the lookout for a good recipe to try. I put time and effort into it, I go shopping for ingredients, haul it home, haul it in the house, prep it, cook it, clean it up, hell yeah - I expect a response one way or the other. Not a grunt, and I don't expect him to write a poem or a song or anything, but just an honest, spontaneous, courteous acknowledgement feels pretty good. Otherwise, I get to feeling like I'm being taken for granted, and just here to take care of him and I get resentful, then bitchy, then I get my broom out and fly around the house for a while.....and I've told him that if he doesn't like something he needs to tell me, or I won't know and will keep making it. So, communication is a two way street, we both need to appreciate the efforts and feelings of each other. It's called being a family - and that's what he agreed to when he signed on the dotted line. BTW - when I was growing up and still lived at home, Mama always had home cooked meals on the table every night. I delighted in finding out what was for supper every night - it was always good and I always told her so, and I always helped her when she wanted me to. She taught me a lot, and some days I would give anything to put my feet under her table just one more time.
Yes I did the same when I was married and had two kids at home. My ex never said anything unless prompted and it drove me almost insanely crazy b/c the man was a chef and I wanted him to at least notice my cooking progress but the better I got at it, the more silent he became. I don't think it was so much compliments I wanted as some show of interest and esp on the nights when I made homemade bread or pizza b/c I'm really good at that. One day he made a snippy comment about the homemade donuts I made for breakfast so that night he got a salisbury steak TV dinner and rather than learning something from the experience he just got mad. Glad he's my ex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 AM

15 posts, read 11,382 times
I don't cook alot at the moment, but if I cook I like it to get a compliment yeah..

Old 03-01-2013, 07:40 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I don't expect to be complimented but it is most appreciated ! Hubby does thank me everytime I cook and will usually compliment me too. We have a good enough relationship that he feels comfortable telling me if he thinks it was lacking something, or too rich.

As long as it is done constructively and not a putting down I have no issues with it. It is very rare anyway and we always tend to agree anyway. I prefer to be told something is not quite right so I have a chance to rectify it next time ! He does always tell people I am a good cook so that is also one way to compliment me.

I do most of the cooking because I am at home and he works but I get no pleasure from doing it so it really helps knowing that at least the chore is appreciated and loved ! I always thank him when he does the gardening or DIY chores so respect and gratitude goes both ways. And it is nice to know someone notices what you do.

I can only remember one cooking disaster in the last 15 years or so and it was so bad we both laughed about it and ended up ordering a take out ! I was let down by my ingredients and knew it was going to be horrid early on, I was going to chuck it out without even serving it but he insisted we tried it ! Horrible. Brrrrrrrrr. I still shudder thinking about it.

He thinks I am a better cook than I find myself to be and that is fine with me !! He does cook occasionally and is good at it if somewhat messy. And I always compliment him on it and am always very grateful. Anyone who cooks for me and avoids me the chore is always going to be seen as a hero !

Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Well, seeing as how I did it professionally for 16 years, I would hope so! But from family and/or friends; no, I don't expect it, want it, or need it. I know my skills, I know how to cook, and if someone doesn't like it than they can find something else to eat. However, generally, if they finish it I will assume they thought it okay in the least.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:43 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
I don't expect it either but I do appreciate and love to hear positive comments and critical comments also. (Well I don't LOVE the critical comments but they are necessary). My fiance always mentions something after the first or second bite, he's very vocal if he likes or dislikes something. His highest form of praise is, "Goldy this is incredible OMG!" and that just makes me so happy to hear.

Now my daughter, she won't say a word..she'll just quietly eat her plate. Then when she asks for seconds, I know she liked it. She'll say, "Can I have some more, it was really good". If she doesn't like something she'll let me know very gently as to not hurt my feelings, even though I've told her sometimes recipes don't work, or I may use ingredients she doesn't like...it's okay for her not to like something as I don't take it as a personal attack on MY cooking. Yet she is still very sweet and gentle about it. Cracks me up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink