U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:34 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,515,026 times
Reputation: 1235

Advertisements

I have a VitaMix that I love but I'll soon be boarding a flight to move cross country. I don't want to carry this blender on the plane in my carry-on for obvious reasons and, since it's so heavy, I don't know how well it will ship if I send it to myself via FedEx without the original packaging.

So, if I sell the VitaMix pre-move and buy a cheaper $50-100 blender when I get there, will I regret it?

Anyone have a VitaMix then downgraded to a $50-100 blender and wished they hadn't, or been happily surprised and happy that they did?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:36 AM
 
25,630 posts, read 30,428,209 times
Reputation: 23112
You could always ship it to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,230,180 times
Reputation: 62050
Go to a local UPS Store or Parcel Depot and have them pack it and ship it for you. They use their packing material and ship and you pay them to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,515,026 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Go to a local UPS Store or Parcel Depot and have them pack it and ship it for you. They use their packing material and ship and you pay them to do that.
And this, my friend, is why we ask questions. Can you believe that actually never crossed my mind? lol I though of shipping it, but never of paying someone to pack it for me. The base is like a brick and I could just see it crushing the canister, and peanuts will do little to keep that base from shifting. But if someone else has sturdy materials to package it properly, well, viola. Great suggestion. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:50 AM
 
25,630 posts, read 30,428,209 times
Reputation: 23112
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
And this, my friend, is why we ask questions. Can you believe that actually never crossed my mind? lol I though of shipping it, but never of paying someone to pack it for me. The base is like a brick and I could just see it crushing the canister, and peanuts will do little to keep that base from shifting. But if someone else has sturdy materials to package it properly, well, viola. Great suggestion. Thanks.

Make sure you observe while they pack to ensure you are comfortable with the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
 
1,604 posts, read 1,484,215 times
Reputation: 4561
To answer you question, I would absolutely regret trading in for a cheaper blender.

Are you just moving with what you can carry on the plane? How are you moving your other belongings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:58 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,515,026 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Make sure you observe while they pack to ensure you are comfortable with the job.
Very good point. Thank you. I've never paid someone to package something for me before (I'm a little too OCD to give up that much control lol). But in this case, since I clearly don't have what is needed to ship something this heavy and fragile, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,515,026 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
To answer you question, I would absolutely regret trading in for a cheaper blender.

Are you just moving with what you can carry on the plane? How are you moving your other belongings?
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling I'd regret trading it in.

Yes, I have a carry-on for sensitive items and one to two suitcases for checked luggage. If I keep selling items at the rate that I am, I'll be down from checking two suitcases to just shipping 2 or 3 tiny boxes (11x12x12) via FedEx to myself so I don't have to check luggage (I really dislike checking luggage - haven't done it in well over a decade).

My Dyson Slim would be the only reason I'd check luggage over shipping boxes (because it would be easier to fit the stick part of the Dyson in a suitcase). I may just sell it so I don't have to worry about it, though, and get a place with wood floors when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Volcano
12,971 posts, read 23,617,943 times
Reputation: 10575
You'll save a lot of money if you ship via Postal Service vs FedX. Their Flat Rate boxes are especially good. And UPS Ground is also cheaper than FedX. Save FedX for the things you need fast.

And yes, once you get used to a good high speed blender like VitaMix or BlendTech, an ordinary blender will not make you happy at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: California / Maryland / Cape May
1,548 posts, read 2,515,026 times
Reputation: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
You'll save a lot of money if you ship via Postal Service vs FedX. Their Flat Rate boxes are especially good. And UPS Ground is also cheaper than FedX. Save FedX for the things you need fast.

And yes, once you get used to a good high speed blender like VitaMix or BlendTech, an ordinary blender will not make you happy at all.
I had a feeling someone would say that about the blender. I haven't had a non-VitaMix in so long that I wasn't sure what it would be like downgrading, as I use mine very regularly. Sounds like shipping it is the best option.

Thank you for the tip about shipping methods, too. I hadn't thought of Flat Rate boxes! I like the sound of that for something as heavy as the Vitamix. I may even use that for everything else if I skip checking luggage and ship a couple tiny boxes instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top