Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,524,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
buttering the little round things that are similar to bread that we call buns are great buttered, but buttering ones buns could be a little messy and very weird!!!!
Dont knock it until you try it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM

19,321 posts, read 9,410,548 times
Haven't been to a Boston Market in years. Wish we had one in our immediate local area.
As for the salt, hardly use it but I love my pepper

I've been to a Taco Bell that stuffs both bins with salt - no pepper. When I asked someone about why no pepper, they told me that they aren't allowed to Oh but feel free to grab a couple more packets of salt.
Rrrgggh.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:54 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, not only are we going to outlaw various foods in the name of nannyism, we're going to make danged sure that people don't get to make their own choices, either? What country is this, again?

For the record, I am a salt craver and always have been. My white coat blood pressure has regularly (for about 60 years now) tested in the 100 over 60 range. A SMALL percentage of the population is "salt reactive", but we act as if that small percentage defines the population as a whole, just as we do with many other things, rather than requiring those who are to take responsibility for their own condition. Apparently Boston Market thinks that they are incapable of doing so and must be treated like children unable to take care of themselves, and the rest of us along with them.
you can come to my house and eat anytime. I have cut way down on the salt I use for cooking (I didn't say I cut it out altogether) but of course we have salt and pepper shakers on the table. Even if we didn't use them, we have no right telling our guests, they can not have salt. I am a little tired of being told what we can and can not do.

Smoking is a little different; if we all believe second hand smoke it bad, and we do allow smoking in our homes, or in restaurants, yes, everyone's health is affected. If I have a salt shaker on my table or I see one in a restaurtant, and I decide to use it, I am not hurting others. My husband isn't a huge salt user (his blood pressure is higher than mine I will add) but he loves his pepper.

I wish everyone could learn to realize, it isn't up to others to tell us how to live and eat healthy. We are adults, we can decide for oursleves. Cutting back on the sodium when cooking is different.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 32,879,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
buttering the little round things that are similar to bread that we call buns are great buttered, but buttering ones buns could be a little messy and very weird!!!!
Tell that to Fontucky's pants!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:32 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,798,405 times
I've always found Boston Market's food to be very bland, and I've always needed salt and pepper on it.

I have low blood pressure, and I tend toward low electrolytes, so I'm supposed to take in all the salt I want! To me, nearly everything needs salt. It's like a food group for me!

I disagree with what BW has chosen to do, but I respect that they are a private entity, and I believe they should do as they like. If this were a government entity, I'd have a big problem with it.

Now if we can only get Boston Market to stop leaving bones in their pot pies.......

Old 08-23-2012, 12:54 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,481,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Both were widely accepted on restaurant tables by the public in earlier years, whether one used them or not. Public attitudes about both have changed due to health concerns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
It is a fair comparison given the potential health problems arising from our societies abuse of both substances and the cultural change over the last 40 years.

IMHO...there is no comparison. AND I'm an ex smoker and a no salt user for MY health issues.......

Smoking at a table can have an adverse affect on those eating around you. 2nd hand smoke problems have be proven.

Using salt doesn't. Unless you can cite some problems with 2nd hand salt. What other people put on their food to make it taste better to THEM is nobody's business

I'm not really going to argue this point any more because one really does have nothing to do with the other.

Unless you have sodium problems anyway, using salt moderately is not bad for you.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM

3,401 posts, read 3,074,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I see that one is still making the rounds.

snopes.com: Salted Food Test

I sincerely hope you aren't doubting me. I will not release my former company's name but this was actually done and I must say I always had a wonderful staff based on my hiring decisions - I had a huge staff. I'm wondering what you would do bulldogdad - would you salt or no salt. I would certainly like to interview you at dinner to see what you have to say and eat (salt or no salt). I'm not sure what my decision would be but I think maybe doubting toms aren't very good for business.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
According to article, Boston Market will still have salt available for consumers but you have to ask for it.
Article stated they was shakers but probably the packets that normally by napkins, those will no longer be there.

From a business stand point it probably a good decision to appear taking a healty approach and cut down waste of consumers grabbing to many salt packets that go unused.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM

22,641 posts, read 6,392,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think that's overreading the situation. It seems much more likely that they are responding to the very reasonable criticisms that their food is too salty by reducing the salt in their recipes, AND making a public gesture that will draw attention to that change, as it already has.

Now, if they started checking IDs and said "Sorry, you've already been in twice this week... no food for you!" then I'd start to worry.
When Boston Market was here we went once. I like salt but found their food too salty and never
went back. (Could be it was that location only..)

Old 08-23-2012, 01:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,395,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
I sincerely hope you aren't doubting me. I will not release my former company's name but this was actually done and I must say I always had a wonderful staff based on my hiring decisions - I had a huge staff. I'm wondering what you would do bulldogdad - would you salt or no salt. I would certainly like to interview you at dinner to see what you have to say and eat (salt or no salt). I'm not sure what my decision would be but I think maybe doubting toms aren't very good for business.
Boy I would've been in trouble interviewing with you! I seldom use the salt at a restaurant on an entree/appetizer as I find the food well-seasoned already, but I've definitely been known to salt my bread and butter. mmmmmmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink