U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times

Advertisements

Some of the Green Giant frozen veggies come from China, but you should be able to see clearly labeled the country of origin. Just look for that.

The 2002 Farm Bill and the 2008 Farm Bill amended the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946 to require that retailers inform consumers of the country of origin of all perishable agricultural commodities beginning September 30, 2008.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2012/0.../#.UEVP79aPVsQ
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM

2,278 posts, read 914,288 times
With American GMO's and chemical companies??

I'm starting to look for food not grown in America!

Other Countries are refusing to use Monsanto chemicals and GMO's (frankenfood).

Thank God for so many Imports.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 AM

12,766 posts, read 10,814,722 times
One thing I've noticed that others have not mentioned... although the brand-name frozen veggies seem to have the country of origin printed on the bag itself along with the design, nutritional label, etc., many of the housebrand or "generic" veggies have the country of origin printed by a dot printer in the margin, along with the expiration date.

What that means, for those who care about such things, is that you might buy a package one day that was from one country, but from another country another day, since they can obviously change the notice in a moment.

Personally I'm just not comfortable with food products from China, since they have such poor food safety laws and enforcement.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:40 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,447,744 times
Elina, thanks for posting the link to the article.

OpenD, I too am uncomfortable with food from China. Reading the article Elina posted, let me know that when you buy processed food, some of the ingredients may come from China, even if the item itself was processed in the US. Sigh.

This is an issue with pet foods too. It seems to be impossible to get totally away from Chinese made food products unless you make all your own dishes from scratch and are very careful about the ingredients you buy. Avoiding Chinese food products would also likely mean no eating out.

Many products I buy indicate that they are not made with GMO produce.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:04 PM

2,402 posts, read 2,022,962 times
I may buy frozen peas & veggies occasionally from the store when I used up all the fresh / frozen veggies from my garden or my FIL's garden.

Yah... so long as it is not Chinese products, I don't mind buying.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 7,264 times
I received an email stating Green Giant frozen veggies are from China and grown under adverse conditions not safe to eat. I called Green Giant of this and their only reply was their veggies are grown in different countries and they only show the country of origin when required to do so.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 PM

12,766 posts, read 10,814,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fingersfelix View Post
I received an email stating Green Giant frozen veggies are from China and grown under adverse conditions not safe to eat. I called Green Giant of this and their only reply was their veggies are grown in different countries and they only show the country of origin when required to do so.
Let me translate that for you. They are required to show country of origin for imported foods, not for US grown foods.

There is lots of misinformation floating around the internet and in emails, that unless something like that has references I can check, I ignore it. And if I does, I check the references.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 PM

9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Let me translate that for you. They are required to show country of origin for imported foods, not for US grown foods.

There is lots of misinformation floating around the internet and in emails, that unless something like that has references I can check, I ignore it. And if I does, I check the references.
I wish some of the "one post wonders" would take the time to head to the supermarket and verify some of the stuff that they post.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM

21,591 posts, read 23,714,857 times
I know that they are not required to print Made in USA for American made products, but I wish they would. That surely could help cut some of the doubts and made customers happy. And why not? Are they not proud of their products?
Nowadays lots of people wonder about the country of origin when none is stated, and think this or that is Made in China - and right so, since less and less of anything is made in the States.
The thing with frozen veggies is also a bit tricky. If they are in some way processed ( seasoned, gravy added ) in the States, then they can, by law, say that the product was made in the USA.
When in doubt read: ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

2,115 posts, read 978,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
Have you tried Green Giant? That's pretty much the only brand I eat.
Green giant puts a lot of hydrogenated oil in their products and then tries to pass them off as good for you. That's why people need to read the ingredient list on everything they buy.

I won't touch that brand with a 10-foot pole. I'll take Mexican-grown produce over that any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink