Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times

Advertisements

Coffee beans. I will buy a years worth if the price is right.

Expensive cheeses, USDA Prime cuts of meat, Really expensive whisky, Dungeness crab-usually only Dec-March, Sees Candy which I can actually get anytime at the bulk price-Summer Variety right now is the best.

Multiple others that I stockup on throughout the year but to numerous to mention here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,657 times
Seafood. Any kind, except we do spend on salmon a lot already.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:07 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Prime rib.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 AM

27,335 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Most of what I bbuy is generic brand stuff but there are some things you just cant sacrifice for generic. One thing I like is the real Downey liquid, but since its more expensive than other softeners, I generally but the cheap stuff....even though its not as concentrated, but....

Old 08-30-2012, 05:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Fillet Steak , Crab and Scallops for me. If it isn't on sale I might as well treat myself and go out to eat them in a good restaurant as they are so expensive in the butcher/fishmonger/supermarket anyway. Not that they are on sale that often !

Old 08-30-2012, 05:36 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,150,820 times
Things that only one member of the family likes that is usually on the 'too' expensive side.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:41 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,451,672 times
Crab meat, shrimp, prime rib, T-bones. They go on sale frequently enough for me to be able to afford it.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
We purchase whatever we want whenever we want it and if it is on sale that is a bonus. We do not skimp on quality either so no generic anything for us. Sneakers does not like anything from a can that resembles a vegetable so only fresh vegetables unless they are out of season then only frozen. As far as pasta goes, I generally make my own unless it is a last minute supper and I just toss a box of pasta in the water and throw together something but that is rare. We also do not pick up single servings of anything, those items are not cost effective and I can take one serving out of the larger, cost effective container and put it in a ziploc bowl and freeze it if I want and I still have a single serving but at a lower cost overall. This is right for us though which does not make it right for others, just how we do things here.

Do you really think generic is lesser quality than brand name? For example boxed pasta. I think it is the advertising, packaging which makes a brand name more expensive than generic.

I agree about not buying single serving of anything. Especially with kids. My kids used to want me to buy those cute little fruit cups or applesauce single servings. But they are hard to open and end up spilling so I buy a huge jar of applesauce or canned fruit in the winter and use screw top urine sample containers which my doctor gives me after I told her how great they work for school lunches. I just don't tell the kids where I got the containers!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Turkey breasts.....I refuse to pay over $1.19 lb for a turkey breast! And shrimp and crab legs....will NOT paya the "regular" price for any of those items.....since they are all frozen anyway, I'll stock up when a good sale hits.

I only buy perishables because of a sale IF I need it....
wow, $1.19 lb, we pay about $1.99 lb for turkey breast unless it is on sale.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
When items like sugar, flour or other shelf items are on sale, I stock up. I put the flour in the freezer. I bake a lot at Christmas to make up cookie and candy plates as gifts so it's always used up within the year. Not long ago I learned that even potato chips can be put in the freezer and still be fresh when taken out, so now I will buy 2 or 3 extra "on sale" bags of chips for the freezer.

I also write companies via email and give them compliments on their products to see if they will send me a coupon(s) for either free or large amount of cents off. Many companies will do this....some don't. An example is Domino - they sent me several $1.00 coupons for sugar. Some companies will send you coupons via email and others through the mail. Also, if I buy a product and really don't like it, I will write the company to tell them and they will many times send coupons for another product. I sent a note to Minute Maid as I really didn't like the taste of their lite lemonade - they sent me three coupons for a free 1/2 gallon of their regular lemonade. Just ways to save money.
What a great idea about letting the companies know how happy you are with a product. It makes them feel goo and might get you a little coupon here and there...I am going to give it a try; Lord knows I spend enough time on the net..

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink