Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times

Advertisements

I am an excellent cook. I love good food, love to cook, and like to make new things and experiment in the kitchen. I am happy to say that my husband loves my cooking, is always eager to try new things, and has a healthy appetite. He's always very appreciative of everything I make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,673 times
Haha..my cooking little bit different from my mom,its eatable
but i'll make it delicious when i felt huger...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,122 times
I don't have an SO, but quite a few of the guys I've dated have survived off of frozen meals and cans of beans, so when I come in and bake some chicken and saute some vegetables, they think I'm a culinary genius.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
My husband was raised by his grandparents. The first time he took me to meet them they served storebought chicken and rolls, canned vegetables and a can of room temperature peaches with the spoon stuck in it. All this was served on newspaper placemats with cans of coke. I was shocked and knew anything I did after that would be a thousand times better than what he grew up with.

However this background made him totally unaware of the trouble, energy and time it takes to make a good nutritious meal. he will eat everything I prepare but is pretty stingy with compliments After 36 years you'd think I would be used to it but it still bugs me a great deal. It wasn't until my grown kids started trying to cook for themselves and their SO that they really appreciated my cooking. And yes I'm an excellent cook.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:28 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
I am a good cook and enjoy cooking very much. I am forever trying new recipes. My fiance is very thankful and will pretty much eat anything. His mom is a fantastic cook, but we do have different styles - her food tends to be a little bland (still good) but she doesn't use alot of seasoning or spices. My fiance and I both LOVE spicy food, so we spice the heck out of everything. Thank goodness we have that in common, because I don't even think either one of us could marry someone who didn't like spicy food. It sounds crazy, but that's how much we both like it. He cooks alot as well and we're both complimentary of each other, as well as the occasional comment on what we could do better next time, etc.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
just an update on what some of you are saying: you talk about what great cooks you are, I guess I am about the same, having a few recipes actually published, but I don't really think that is the answer, I think some guys only know mom's cooking or they think it is the best: regardless, it might take years to change thier minds, good cooks or not. No matter how good we cook, it is possible there are a few things his or her mommy makes that are either better than we can do or the way they are fixed is the way he has grown up enjoying the dish. It takes training to change them sometimes. This is coming from a foods and nutritian major, I will add.

Nita

Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,928 times
My hubby already admitted that I am a wayyy better cook than his mom (ethnic or american style; Polish, Welsh / Irish / English, Jewish & German and American).
Still can't out bake her though.... (DD will be her successor for baking; so DH is covered)
But then again my hubby loves salt better than his sugar.

P.S. He also says my specialties (like Hainanese Chicken rice) is also better than restaurant (or even hawker center) standards. Yah... even for many ethnic dishes (Made all of the above ethnic & added my own SG style of Malay Peranakan, Indian, Chinese (Cantonese / Hainan / Teochew), Thai, Vietnamese etc..) ... DH will have a hard time filling my shoes (or with another wife) should I die I'm told. I do love food & its exposure & is curious for more recipes to come.

Last edited by hueyeats; 09-06-2012 at 12:08 PM..

Old 09-06-2012, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
My hubby already admitted that I am a wayyy better cook than his mom (ethnic or american style; Polish, Welsh / Irish / English, Jewish & German and American).
Still can't out bake her though.... (DD will be her successor for baking; so DH is covered)
But then again my hubby loves salt better than his sugar.

P.S. He also says my specialties (like Hainanese Chicken rice) is also better than restaurant (or even hawker center) standards. Yah... even for many ethnic dishes (Made all of the above ethnic & added my own SG style of Malay Peranakan, Indian, Chinese (Cantonese / Hainan / Teochew), Thai, Vietnamese etc..) ... DH will have a hard time filling my shoes (or with another wife) should I die I'm told. I do love food & its exposure & is curious for more recipes to come.
Pat would have a hard time filling mine as well: he generally loves the way I cook..Now, the problem would be, of I go before him, who will do his cooking til he finds someone else? He can barely boil water..Who is at fault for this? I am, of course...

Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Pat would have a hard time filling mine as well: he generally loves the way I cook..Now, the problem would be, of I go before him, who will do his cooking til he finds someone else? He can barely boil water..Who is at fault for this? I am, of course...
I worry about this too especially since we have kids still at home. But I do not take responsibility for his inability to cook. the man is a Mensa member with 2 college degrees and is an engineer. he chooses not to learn to cook. He chooses to grab the car keys when he is responsible for feeding the children. Thos bothers me a lot. I guess I better outline him.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
I am considered to be an excellent cook/chief by my SO and others. I have had some
training and can make just about anything.
Some things just take a long time to prep otherwise it is a nice exp to have.

HW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink