Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Malaysian cuisine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMO among the best in Asia. Kuala Lumpur and Penang are sometimes considered the best places for food in Asia or even the world.

Malaysian food seems far less common in the States than in Australia, due to distance and lack of immigrants, but I'm wondering if there is a joint in your town and if you've tried it. If so what's been your opinion of what you've tried? Any favourite dishes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
Yes! I love Malaysian food and have eaten it a number of times in NYC and in London. There are a few good restaurants in NYC, but it's still under the radar as a cuisine. It doesn't share the popularity of many other Asian cuisines, like Chinese, Indian, Thai, Japanese, etc.

Mee krob is one of my favorite dishes.

Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM

191 posts, read 163,688 times
No, but I'd love to try Satay, Rendang, and Mee rebus.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Yep I agree, it's fantastic and there's a great variety of dishes to choose from. You can really see why food is a core conversation topic over there.

My personal favourite dish is Roti Canai/Prata, while there are a few stores that sell it here in Perth I've yet to find one that makes it really well. Char kway teow, Hainanese chicken rice, Murtabak, Popiah and Laksa are some others I really like.

Some very nice desserts and drinks as well. I especially adore freshly pressed Sugar Cane juice!

Old 09-16-2012, 12:08 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
My mom actually lived there for some years, so yeah. IMO it's similar to most SEA food. I've only tried it a couple times, can't remember what we had but the curry was really good.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Yep I agree, it's fantastic and there's a great variety of dishes to choose from. You can really see why food is a core conversation topic over there.

My personal favourite dish is Roti Canai/Prata, while there are a few stores that sell it here in Perth I've yet to find one that makes it really well. Char kway teow, Hainanese chicken rice, Murtabak, Popiah and Laksa are some others I really like.

Some very nice desserts and drinks as well. I especially adore freshly pressed Sugar Cane juice!
Roti Canai is definitely up there, always get excited eating it when I go to Singapore/Malaysia. I've thought the same too: I haven't found any roti that is as great and fresh as the stuff you can buy at any stall/kopi tiam in Malaysia and I've been to a few places. If you ever find some let me know. Those are all great dishes, I think chicken curry Malaysian style (it's very different to Indian curry for those who've had it) is probably my all time fave, along with rendang and satay. Nasi goreng, which is more Indonesian, is also really great, and chicken rice of course. 'Singaporean fried noodles/mee hoon' although not an 'authentic' Singaporean dish is another one I like, with lots of curry powder, and Penang style fried rice.

As for desserts it's hard to go past cendol, ice kacang, gula melaka and kueh. Most of the Malaysian places seem to be south of the river.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:59 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Love it! One of the least appreciated/underrated cuisines in the world, at least in the US. Probably one of the best in the world. So diverse and yummy!

Old 01-08-2014, 11:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Supposedly a dish I love (Marmite chicken) originated in Malaysia. After reading that list, I have had it before and it's delicious! There are others I want to try now, thanks for the post.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:38 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

Have you ever tried Malaysian/Indonesian food?
Absolutely! I love it!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Supposedly a dish I love (Marmite chicken) originated in Malaysia. After reading that list, I have had it before and it's delicious! There are others I want to try now, thanks for the post.
Lol how funny the only Malaysian dish you've tried is marmite chicken lol...marmite is a British yeast-extract thing. You really need to try more Malaysian cuisine, start with nasi goreng, nasi lemak, satay, curry laksa, mee rebus, nasi briyani, hainanese chicken rice, chicken curry, roti canai.etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink