Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Other food south related far as I know are the following:

Black Eye Peas, Pintos, Boiled Peanuts which I will never try as they should always be roasted. lol
Desserts I can think of two at the moment Red Velvet Cake and what I could eat til Im sick is Mississippi Mud Pie.

My partner likes liver and pickled eggs and I like on occasion pickled sausage especially the red hot kind.
Other things that I love is country fried steak covered in white gravy, catfish, and chicken and dumplings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
I forgot to mention these dang jumping Asian carp fish that Central Illlinois has. Anyone who wants any, please come and get them. I won't eat them but people who cook them say they taste good. I doubt if any one in any part of the USA would want them....they produce rapidly, and jump in your boat without you even throwing your line in.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think it might be a southern Indiana thing. I lived in Northeastern Indiana for 20 years and never even heard of it.
It is popular here in Indianapolis too, many restaurants serve sugar cream pie. Also every potluck and pitch in dinner around here usually has several to choose from.

Many families have sugar cream pie recipes handed down through the generations. My great aunt even had a depression era recipe that used evaporated milk instead of cream.

Try it if you get the opportunity! You will love it.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:36 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
It is popular here in Indianapolis too, many restaurants serve sugar cream pie. Also every potluck and pitch in dinner around here usually has several to choose from.

Many families have sugar cream pie recipes handed down through the generations. My great aunt even had a depression era recipe that used evaporated milk instead of cream.

Try it if you get the opportunity! You will love it.

In the vintage days, sugar cream pie was a mainstay in Central IL homesteads also. The recipe I have is called Hoosier Sugar Cream Pie - I believe Indiana is the Hoosier State if I'm thinking right. I had always heard that sugar cream pie was Indiana's state pie. Many Illinios residents came from Indiana and Kentucky so it's a natural that Illinois homesteads also made these for generations.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

Black Eye Peas, Pintos, Boiled Peanuts which I will never try as they should always be roasted. lol
Desserts I can think of two at the moment Red Velvet Cake and what I could eat til Im sick is Mississippi Mud Pie.

My partner likes liver and pickled eggs and I like on occasion pickled sausage especially the red hot kind.
Other things that I love is country fried steak covered in white gravy, catfish, and chicken and dumplings.
I don't know if I associate pinto beans with the south as much as the southwest, but you are right about Black Eyed Peas and boiled peanuts...smart not to try them, I will add. I did once, and that was one time too many!!!! Chicken fried steak is something I think of more in the south than elsewhere, but I think it is gaining in popularity throughout the country and catfish for sure is southern..or assoicated with states like MO which tech isn't south..

Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
The Natchitoches Meat Pie is a folded over piece of dough which looks like a tart or a pita bread stuffed with meat spiced up just so. I don't exactly know what's in it. It is deep fried.
That sounds quite similar to Cornish Pasty.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
I just had about 3 cups of boiled peanuts last night. Yum.
Cream of wheat. I've eaten it, in the military 'cuz it was on the chowhall menu. I've never heard of anyone I know back South making it as a regular meal. Oatmeal, yeah. Grits, heck yeah. Cream of Wheat? Never.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I grew up in the NE and pickled eggs, pigs feet and sausages were available at every corner bar.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I just had about 3 cups of boiled peanuts last night. Yum.
Cream of wheat. I've eaten it, in the military 'cuz it was on the chowhall menu. I've never heard of anyone I know back South making it as a regular meal. Oatmeal, yeah. Grits, heck yeah. Cream of Wheat? Never.
I think of cream of wheat as pretty universal. I haven't lived in any region where it isn't a standard cereal....We had it weekly when growing up, so did our kids and we still do...

Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Pasta. Rarely on a Southern table. Beef. You are more likely to see pork or chicken on a Southern menu. Dark beer. Can barely find dark beer in the South.
Oh my goodness, macaroni and cheese is a southern staple. It's generally found in cafeterias ,still popular in the South, but it's a very popular and traditional side dish at Thanksgiving dinner. Macaroni is unquestionably the most Americanized shape of pasta. I grew up in northern Illinois and never had any other kind of pasta at home or at any of my extended family's homes. Spaghetti was strictly restaurant food.

Regarding beef, don't forget chicken fried or country fried steak. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know if I associate pinto beans with the south as much as the southwest, but you are right about Black Eyed Peas and boiled peanuts...smart not to try them, I will add. I did once, and that was one time too many!!!! Chicken fried steak is something I think of more in the south than elsewhere, but I think it is gaining in popularity throughout the country and catfish for sure is southern..or assoicated with states like MO which tech isn't south..
I first encountered chicken fried steak in Colorado at least sixty years ago. I thought it was a regional dish here as the French Dip once was. But apparently it has a wide range. But I'd wager that most Southerners except Floridians have never had Rocky Mountain Oysters. That requires a cattle industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Oh Elle View Post
You're the one who keeps misreading my words. I didn't say they were unpopular in the south at all. I admitted that they have different varieties that were more famous depending on where you live. They originated in the North or Northeast first. Have you taken a history class or what over here? Don't be ashamed, everyone knows that English and German people were the first to come over here. This is what I studied, and this is also what the state websites cite. Sorry, bro/sis.

BTW, there's something called Thirteen Colonies which does cover some states that aren't NE. So I admit I was probably wrong by stating it's a NE thing, but it is something from Thirteen Colonies since that's what came before the rest of the country. Your strange remarks aren't even appreciated. If you're so offended, don't read my posts. Pies were actually not invented in America at all, if you want to get that specific.

Not a good idea to tell people to stop posting on a public forum. Do you realize how ironic and rude this whole statement is? No, 'cause you still wrote it. Like I said on a thread in Relationships, "What's up with people misunderstanding or misreading my words here 24/7?" Not my problem. I'm not gonna debate this any further, feel free to private message me if you want to continue the bickering.
We all make silly mistakes. But it's so much simpler and pleasant to either admit it or just drop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink