Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM

14,473 posts, read 20,648,603 times

Advertisements

I stopped eating red meat at restaurants, hamburgers or steaks.
I would order well done, and had to send it back once or twice, which caused the rest of my food to get cold and the others at the table to go on eating.
When I order well done, they seem to turn the heat up and burn it outside and not cooked inside.

I travelled with a group and we all ate at the same restaurant. I saw rares, mediums, medium rares, etc.
I also saw forks being stuck into these thick pieces of meat and animal blood pop out.
I do not call that a juicy steak.

I buy my own meat and if it is not thin sliced, I use a knife to cut it into thin slices, so it is the real definition of well done.

I tried asking for "barely burned" trying to get well done at restaurants, and it did not work. I still had to send it back.

What do you prefer, and why. Be honest. No vampire jokes.

Why do human beings crave juicy red meat that is nothing but a pool of blood on the plate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 10:50 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
I know that some restaurants reserve their best quality meat for rare orders. I haven't eaten meat for more than ten years, but when I did I always liked it rare. I just never understood why anyone wanted meat cooked well done, the juices all cooked out.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM

741 posts, read 1,679,172 times
I was a WELL-DONE only, meat eater for about 40 years..but now, I am a medium OR well OR med-well...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,025,445 times
The lowest I can go is medium. I like medium well better.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,357,424 times
I like medium-rare but I order differently at different restaurants, depending on how they cook it. That is for steak. For burgers I do medium.

I was at a pretty upscale place once and had to send my filet back twice because it was so rare I could not eat it. I never send things back and that was the first and last time I have ever done that, back in Feb.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
I like it a little bit pink in the middle. Too many restaurants have subjective opinions on what medium rare, rare, medium, well, etc. all mean, so it's better if I just describe what I want.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
I used to insist on well-done, when I was very young. (Child and teenager.)

Now that I'm seriously into food it's medium-rare for me. Don't like it cooked too much, but want it cooked enough to be easier to cut. But if it's cooked too little, at least you can send it back and they can cook it some more! Too well done and you're stuck with what you've got.

You're eating the blood regardless, you do realize? Whether it's in a restaurant or at home, rare, medium, or well-done.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
I too say "Cooked inside, but still pink" because their idea of what is medium rare is often different. I don't like my steak more done than that, because like was mentioned above, then it's dry. I also don't like mine uncooked in the middle, because then it's tough. I have only sent a steak back once because it was too rare. I mean it was bloody and tough. But like the OP said, everyone else was done eating by the time my steak came back. And it wasn't that much of an improvement anyway, it was still too rare.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:15 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I like my steak's medium or under. I never ever order a steak in a restaurant.
It is not really blood at all but..

This may be TMI for some but here it is...

The fluid conveyed within the muscles is 'sarcoplasm'. It has to have iron
in it to convey oxygen. This is in myoglobin and a smaller amount of
hemoglobin. Hence the red color of muscles, and the red color of the
liquid which oozes from meat.

Strictly speaking, sarcoplasm is not blood, which is almost entirely
drained from the body after slaughter to help hygiene. Sarcoplasm is,
however, functionally similar to blood, even though it's a natural
constituent of muscle. It's a type of cytoplasm, an intrinsic component of
every living cell.

That 'red stuff' that oozes out of the meat is packed with nutrition! It's
full of iron, copper, selenium and other trace elements. It's got
potassium and water-soluble vitamins. It's got a large chunk of the
special nutritive properties of meat.

Blood is very nutritious too, but it spoils very fast because of it. (The
microbes eat the same stuff we do.) The sacroplasm is more stable because
of the lower pH due to rigor mortis generating the lactic acid during contraction..

Old 09-20-2012, 11:19 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
When it comes to burgers, I like them medium-well. I want it done, but not so well done that it's dried out. If there's a ting of pink, I'm okay with it. I don't want to eat a hockeypuck!

For steaks, I like medium rare. I'll eat it rare, but I really want it just a bit more done. Medium is a bit too done, but I will still eat it.

I was raised to eat it hockeypuck style, and still my dad wants everything to resemble a piece of charcoal. Even at a fast food burger joint, he will order a burger and tell them he wants it "extra well done". I'm sure those folks working there just crack up at the old man thinking they are gonna cook the meat to order!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink