Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 02:49 AM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Unfortunately our local store brand won't be available in your area. But, here's a link to Lipton Cold Brew...
Lipton, Black Tea, Cold Brew, Pitcher Size, Tea Bags, 22Count Boxes (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

P.S. Elnina swears by the yellow box Lipton...I forget which one. You might ask her. Not Cold Brew though.
Ha!!! YOU remember!!

Yes, the best of Lipton. The taste is not to compare.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Ha!!! YOU remember!!

Yes, the best of Lipton. The taste is not to compare.
Yep! ...

Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
"Sun tea" is funny... it doesn't really need any sun to work. It's just a cold infusion. Tests prove it, people don't believe it, but it's true.

LIpton should be fine if it's fresh, but tea that is not stored in a tight can or box can easily absorb bad odors and weird tastes. The cardboard box Lipton's comes in is OK for short term storage, if you're going to use it quickly, but for long-term storage it needs to be moved to something airtight.
Well OpenD, none of that really matters. What matters is that making Sun Tea is nostalgic. It's a feel good thing that makes you think of your mom or dad who did it or your grandma.

Sun tea just feels good. What tests do or people believe in this matter I don't care. Thanks for the post though. This tea can not have been fresh. Once I put some ice in a glass and had some it was much better. It may have been a bit strong.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:15 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Once I put some ice in a glass and had some it was much better. It may have been a bit strong.
That may be a clue. Sometime people making iced tea try to make it stronger by steeping the tea longer, which mostly just increases the tannins, and hence the bitterness and astringency. 3 minutes is all it takes. The correct way to increase the strength of tea for use as iced tea is to use twice as much tea. You can always dilute it with water if you get it too strong.

The other thing a lot of people get wrong (I come from two tea drinking families) is to brew it with boiling water. In fact, the best tea is made slightly off the boil. Black and Oolong tea at 195 F, green tea at 175 F.

Anyway, this website has a great chart on quantities, temperatures and brew times for various teas and herbal infusions.

Brewing the Perfect Cup of Tea | How to Make Tea | Teavana

Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,343,435 times
Quote:
That may be a clue. Sometime people making iced tea try to make it stronger by steeping the tea longer, which mostly just increases the tannins, and hence the bitterness and astringency. 3 minutes is all it takes. The correct way to increase the strength of tea for use as iced tea is to use twice as much tea. You can always dilute it with water if you get it too strong.

The other thing a lot of people get wrong (I come from two tea drinking families) is to brew it with boiling water. In fact, the best tea is made slightly off the boil. Black and Oolong tea at 195 F, green tea at 175 F.

Anyway, this website has a great chart on quantities, temperatures and brew times for various teas and herbal infusions.

Brewing the Perfect Cup of Tea | How to Make Tea | Teavana
I didn't boil it but I did keep it in too long. It was one of those gallon sized teabags. I have never seen nor used one of those.....

Thanks for the link!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
I forgot I had a giant family sized tea bag steeping for about 20 minutes and when I tasted it, it was awful. I thought the tea bags were not more than a few months old so I tried an experiment. I kept the awful tea and then brewed another tea bag for only 3 minutes like I have read. Then I tasted them side by side and the difference was amazing.

Here in the south you can find many a restaurant with Ice Tea on the menu and under it says "Unsweetened, Sweetened or Seriously Sweetened" Always gets a chuckle from visiting Yankees.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:44 AM

85 posts, read 123,373 times
Sugar for tea?? Haven't even touched that thing for I don't know how long... many years though... same goes with coffee...

Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I forgot I had a giant family sized tea bag steeping for about 20 minutes and when I tasted it, it was awful. I thought the tea bags were not more than a few months old so I tried an experiment. I kept the awful tea and then brewed another tea bag for only 3 minutes like I have read. Then I tasted them side by side and the difference was amazing.
OMG, tea steeped for 20 minutes is horrible. No wonder!

Yes, tea should only be steeped 3 minutes. To make it stronger, use more tea, not longer steep times.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,090 times
Quote:
OMG, tea steeped for 20 minutes is horrible. No wonder!

Yes, tea should only be steeped 3 minutes. To make it stronger, use more tea, not longer steep times.
Well, I think it depends on what kind of tea it is. The herbal teas don't seem to get that nastiness, at least in my experience.

One of the things I do to to watch that I don't squeeze the tea bag as I'm bringing it out of the water; nor do I stir with the spoon whilst it is infusing. In other words, treat those tea leaves very gently and the tea won't be bitter.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Well, I think it depends on what kind of tea it is. The herbal teas don't seem to get that nastiness, at least in my experience.
That's true, as the brewing chart I posted earlier clearly shows.

But it brings up a pet peeve... Teas are teas, herbal infusions are herbal infusions. I do not like calling infusions "herbal teas."

If it does not have the cured leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant in it, I don't call it tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink