U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:34 PM

673 posts, read 2,875,996 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever been to this place? My brother in law is obsessed with it and thinks its the greatest place ever! We went to one this afternoon in Stauton Virginia and I must say, I thought it was kind of gross. I hate it when a restaurant has the stickest floors. So that grossed me out. Overall the place was just really dirty. The burger was ok, nothing to write home about and I dont care for the fries at all. After all the greasy food I felt like I was going to have a heart attack walking out of the place. What are your thoughts on this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 AM

894 posts, read 3,890,803 times
Tried it in Georgia after moving from Florida, and was not impressed at all...

Old 10-07-2007, 06:50 AM
rfb

1,843 posts, read 5,006,683 times
I found Five Guys to be an average chain burger restaurant. I prefer places which grill vs. fry their burgers. In my neck of the woods, there are several places that are much better IMO.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 43,554 times
I absolutely love 5 guys! They make an awesome burger. I like that I can have it made anyway I want it and they make it in front of me, not in some back counter that I can't see. If you like how BK and McDonald's cooks hamburgers in bulk, knock yourself out.

I do have to admit, though, that it is not a healthy place to eat and I only let myself eat there about once or twice a year. Fries are great too.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:47 PM

185 posts, read 527,113 times
N.C transplant here (Jersey didn't have these that i was aware of) so i had my first go. IMO Eh, average. I will say that the size of the burger was huge. unfortunatly that does not equal good. I suppose with all the hype,i expected more. Fries were good, i'll call them fryguys.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:28 PM

6,996 posts, read 6,629,325 times
Their burgers and buns seem to have become smaller in the last year. I've been going to them for three years. They beat the national chains as do many of the famous regional hamburger chains (In-n-Out, Fatburger, Whataburger, and so on.). A meal for two can start to approach $ 20. If you're in a hurry, it's a good burger. For the same price, you can get a better burger platter at any reasonably priced casual chain or a specialty burger restaurant such as Fuddruckers, Red Robin, etc.

Old 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM

355 posts, read 2,457,936 times
I have never heard of this place . I'll be sure to find one though . I love burgers .

Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM

324 posts, read 670,774 times
I am a big fan of Five Guys. I absolutely love their fries and they make a really great grilled cheese too! There is one right across the street from my house and I only allow myself to go a few times a year because it is very unhealthy for you. It is such a temptation having it so close by!

Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM

325 posts, read 974,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Their burgers and buns seem to have become smaller in the last year. I've been going to them for three years. They beat the national chains as do many of the famous regional hamburger chains (In-n-Out, Fatburger, Whataburger, and so on.). A meal for two can start to approach $ 20. If you're in a hurry, it's a good burger. For the same price, you can get a better burger platter at any reasonably priced casual chain or a specialty burger restaurant such as Fuddruckers, Red Robin, etc.
I think 5 Guys is a decent option, although I must admit I have only eaten there once on my lunch break and was in a hurry. The fries are great and the burger was ok. I guess I should give it another shot when I have the chance to enjoy it. I do agree with you that it was qutie pricey. I believe I spent 6 bucks maybe seven and didnt even get a drink.

However, to say that you get a better burger in a "specialty" chain is insane. I hate both Red Robin and Fudruckers. I will never eat at Fudruckers again and I only go to Red Robin on ocassion for my kids benefit. The best hamburgers at a chain are at Max and Ermas. Everyone may not know them because they are not yet nationwide.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM

43 posts, read 160,429 times
I ate at one for the first time last month while in GA visiting my sister. She and her husband and children raved about it, so I said "take me". It was ok, taste was good and fresh, which was nice, but I like my meat med-rare, even my burgers and they don't cook them that way so I was not wowed like they are.

Apparently there's one in Philadelphia, although I had never heard of it before.

Personally the best burgers are the ones we make at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink