Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM

149 posts, read 271,104 times

Advertisements

Allegedly the previous thread went off topic, so we are on part duex!

This weekend at the deli area this woman in front of us wanted to try a sample of their seafood salad. That's fine cause who knows, right? But then she wanted to try a sample the potato salad, then the cole slaw, then brocoli salad, and eventually she tried nearly everything. I mean you really need to trying cole slaw to tell if you like it, meanwhile holding up the whole line. I dont think she even got anything from the deli counter in the end.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Allegedly the previous thread went off topic, so we are on part duex!

This weekend at the deli area this woman in front of us wanted to try a sample of their seafood salad. That's fine cause who knows, right? But then she wanted to try a sample the potato salad, then the cole slaw, then brocoli salad, and eventually she tried nearly everything. I mean you really need to trying cole slaw to tell if you like it, meanwhile holding up the whole line. I dont think she even got anything from the deli counter in the end.
i guess that is a new form of grazing, right?

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Maybe she was hungry?

And yes, you do need to try the coleslaw before you buy it. There is good coleslaw, and there is lousy coleslaw.

But I agree trying all the salads was a bit much. The thing to remember, though, is that she was there first.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I really dislike it when managers upbraid employees where I can see or hear them. I think that shows extremely poor management skills. I was in Sears once where some supervisor was lecturing two employees in the middle of the department. I don't usually say anything, but I stopped by to tell him that he was giving me a very bad impression of their store, and I left a comment card about it.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Maybe she was hungry?

And yes, you do need to try the coleslaw before you buy it. There is good coleslaw, and there is lousy coleslaw.

But I agree trying all the salads was a bit much. The thing to remember, though, is that she was there first.
I do agree about cold slaw, in fact I rarely like deli cold slaw, it is usually too runny and way too sweet!!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 AM

149 posts, read 271,104 times
Quote:
Maybe she was hungry?

If your intent is to buy the cole slaw, then it makes sense to try it. But if your intent it just get a free meal and hold up the line, then you've made my pet peeve list.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
If your intent is to buy the cole slaw, then it makes sense to try it. But if your intent it just get a free meal and hold up the line, then you've made my pet peeve list.
Or maybe she wanted to taste the cole slaw to see if it is good or not and she didn't think it was so good so she didn't buy any of it. She just saved herself from throwing her money away.

It bothers me when a product catches my eye and there's no price anywhere, resulting in no sale and me having to miss out.
The reason I don't "just ask someone" is because the store I must shop in must have 5,000 items without a price. I've tried politely talking with management but I get no results.

(Hey.....this thread is neither about food or about drink! )

Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
But if your intent it just get a free meal and hold up the line, then you've made my pet peeve list.
Getting a free meal is beyond the pale; holding up the line is in the eye of the beholder. Again, at the deli, it's the prerogative of whoever's in line first to be waited on until s/he gets what s/he came for. If that takes 10 minutes, so be it. I'm not going to cut my deli order short just because there's someone in line behind me.

So there you've just stumbled on a pet peeve: not enough people in the deli to actually wait on customers. I've been at the deli at times when there are five or six people waiting to be served, but only one worker is waiting on customers; the rest of the deli employees can be seen scurrying about, but they're not waiting on anyone, filling orders, or retrieving product from the back storage.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:44 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I rarely have anything to complain about with our local Kroger. They do a good job rotating stock, and have an aisle set aside for "manager's specials", which are all markdowns. They have cases for markdowns in the freezer section and refrigerated section too. It's a little like a treasure hunt checking them out.

Lately they haven't done a great job of pricing the produce. If I don't see the price per pound, I don't buy it.

They also use mentally handicapped baggers. In the beginning, I was impatient with the speed, or lack of it, that they caused at checkout. But, I chose to talk to them, call them by name, and help them bag. Grocery shopping for me is not unpleasant at all.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,894 times
Quote:
Getting a free meal is beyond the pale; holding up the line is in the eye of the beholder. Again, at the deli, it's the prerogative of whoever's in line first to be waited on until s/he gets what s/he came for. If that takes 10 minutes, so be it. I'm not going to cut my deli order short just because there's someone in line behind me.

So there you've just stumbled on a pet peeve: not enough people in the deli to actually wait on customers. I've been at the deli at times when there are five or six people waiting to be served, but only one worker is waiting on customers; the rest of the deli employees can be seen scurrying about, but they're not waiting on anyone, filling orders, or retrieving product from the back storage.

YES!! I sometimes ask for a sample bite but of course I don't try all of the items. And sometimes I buy and sometimes I don't. But, it sometimes takes me about 8 to 10 minutes at the deli because I buy different cheeses, different cold meats and salads sometimes too. If there is someone behind me that doesn't like it, they can do their other shopping while I finish my deli grazing, pondering and buying, then they can come back to the deli. But I agree there are often not enough employees available to wait on customers....the shopper who doesn't want to wait in line should complain to management about not enough people working. Just don't complain about my potential buying power at the deli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink