Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 05:17 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,225,333 times

Advertisements

Sicilian gravy with sausage and ravioli...pheasant food. The best..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
So far we had some flautas at Taco Cabana!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
brienzi - you're a riot!
What is Sicilian gravy? I want some!
(..and i think you meant "peasant" food)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 PM

No fowl language!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM

yes i meant peasant food...lol.
I'll be posting here plenty, many old Sicilian recipes from the old country, cheap, tasty, and delicious. The food network better not be watching or my family will have my you know what.. Brown the pork (something cheap like boneless pork or even pork with some bone, and add it into the gravy. The gravy is truly and old recipe.
cover a sauce pan with EVOO, heat, add onions, and caramelize the onions, and add a few cloves of crushed garlic during the process with some S/P. Make sure not overcook or brown, just bring out the flavor of the ingredients.
Next, open a few a couple of cans of the pastene crushed tomatoes, then add about half a can of water and start to heat, and then add your caramelized onion brew and bring to a slow simmer while stirring. Add your browned pork or sausage and bring to a constant low heat simmer and let cook with the top of the pan slightly open so you don't steam it. After 3 hours, done.
I left out the secret ingredient...and NO it's not sugar or anything close.
A certain Mint per say...Enjoy ...

Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,769,512 times
..Brienzi.. you left out the BASIL, right?
This is my grandma's recipe!
She came from a little town outside of Naples.
The reason I asked is because you said "Sicilian gravy.".
It's not GRAVY.. it's SAUCE!

I know because my mom used to give me H--- whenever I dipped the bread in "the gravy".

Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
yes i meant peasant food...lol.
I'll be posting here plenty, many old Sicilian recipes from the old country, cheap, tasty, and delicious. The food network better not be watching or my family will have my you know what.. Brown the pork (something cheap like boneless pork or even pork with some bone, and add it into the gravy. The gravy is truly and old recipe.
cover a sauce pan with EVOO, heat, add onions, and caramelize the onions, and add a few cloves of crushed garlic during the process with some S/P. Make sure not overcook or brown, just bring out the flavor of the ingredients.
Next, open a few a couple of cans of the pastene crushed tomatoes, then add about half a can of water and start to heat, and then add your caramelized onion brew and bring to a slow simmer while stirring. Add your browned pork or sausage and bring to a constant low heat simmer and let cook with the top of the pan slightly open so you don't steam it. After 3 hours, done.
I left out the secret ingredient...and NO it's not sugar or anything close.
A certain Mint per say...Enjoy ...
Sounds great ....be sure to post recipes in the recipe sub forum. There's no secrets here!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
turkey soup.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
..Brienzi.. you left out the BASIL, right?
This is my grandma's recipe!
She came from a little town outside of Naples.
The reason I asked is because you said "Sicilian gravy.".
It's not GRAVY.. it's SAUCE!

I know because my mom used to give me H--- whenever I dipped the bread in "the gravy".
It's gravy my friend, and i left out 2 key things, yes Basil is one..added to the simmering gravy...Yet there is one other, that i already made clear...a few cloves chopped and added to the simmer. Even the dried stuff from the supermarket is fine...
And i still get the heat 2 when dipping into the not cooked gravy..
We call it gravy, and that goes back to Sicily, whatever one calls it, it's thick and nothing like Marinara sauce..

Old 11-28-2012, 07:36 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,419,786 times
I see a lot of good comfort food on here tonight. I had roast beef hash, but I make mine with mashed potatoes instead of the cubes. A layer of mashed potatoes goes on the bottom of the pan and then the rest. Also had a green salad and biscuits. Thought about making some quick cookies but was too tired. Dessert was an extra biscuit and some hot milk and Ovaltine with marshmallows. (I walked about two miles today so I figured I could do this treat! lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink