Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Oh Man, this is so disturbing. We used to have a neighbor, a Delta Pilot who had his friends notify him of fresh roadkill so he could go bring it home. he was from a very rural area of idaho or someplace like that and would be considered a survivalist I suppose. But to bring Roadkill to a public restaurant is very disturbing even if there is a cultural issue here. This son has probably ruined his father's hard work.

Ky. restaurant closed after bringing in road kill - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
"Honey Boo Boo's" mom cooks roadkill when she can get it, but there hasn't been any in a while. Honey says, "I haven't had any road kill in my belly in a long time". Sorry, couldn't resist - I just watched that show for the first time on Sunday!

Old 10-02-2012, 05:10 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
I won't pay to eat in a restaurant that serves road kill. On the other hand, if it runs in front of my car, I have to pay a deductible and have repairs made, I'm taking it to the butcher.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
In many states it is illegal to take a roadkill home to butcher it. Here they collect and where the meat is still good and give it to the poor.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:48 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,183 times
I suppose they gotta do something with it, can't really just leave it beside the road to rot, that would be a smelling mess. I don't think they should serve it in restaurants (maybe let the people know what they may be eating) But I agree, if you have to pay insurance for damage it did, you should get to take it to the butcher if you choose.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Years ago my fiance ran into a herd of cattle in my car. By the time the police got there the cattle had been butchered by the locals. Hey, why waste. But, a cafe......ewwwwwwww!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Years ago my fiance ran into a herd of cattle in my car. By the time the police got there the cattle had been butchered by the locals. Hey, why waste. But, a cafe......ewwwwwwww!

I used to drive my Volkswagen in the center of a stampede pretty often - I can't imagine hitting one of the poor things!

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Hit a Deer, it comes home. Hit a pheasant, it's also coming home. I really don't see the big deal. So long as the meat hasn't been fed off of by Coyotes or something.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:44 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
not a doctor but some forms of death, especially from trauma release toxins into the blood stream and eating this meat can make you sick. Researcher have spent years studying way to get animals clam and relaxed before being butchered no only for the sake of the animal but for the safety of the meat to be consumed. and most would not know how long roadkill had been in the sun or how many other cars hit it. eating roadkill seems like a last resort for starving people.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
not a doctor but some forms of death, especially from trauma release toxins into the blood stream and eating this meat can make you sick. Researcher have spent years studying way to get animals clam and relaxed before being butchered no only for the sake of the animal but for the safety of the meat to be consumed. and most would not know how long roadkill had been in the sun or how many other cars hit it. eating roadkill seems like a last resort for starving people.

You haven't been inside a slaughter house have you? There is all the trauma, damage and terror you'll ever think of. These animals are largely covered in their own feces until they get a final washdown hung from the racks. Ever hunt? A high powered rifle bullet traveling at 3000 feet per second creates a large amount of trauma and bullet damage. Same with an arrow tipped with a razor blade.

Commercial fishing is no different. In all cases there is a finite amount of time meat can be left out before it spoils. So long as you have that covered you are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink