U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 AM

35,108 posts, read 41,330,412 times

Advertisements

Everyone who cooks has a disaster or 3 somewhere down the line that is so awful you end up throwing it all away and starting over or going out for supper. So tell us some of the dining disasters that have come forth in your kitchen but never made it to the table for others to enjoy.

I'll start: I had some left over bacon and decided to make a BLT which is one of my and my husband's favorite go to sandwiches. I toasted the bread cut the tomato, got the lettuce put on the sandwich and decided to heat up the bacon in the microwave. Not a big deal right? WRONG. I not only heated up the bacon I disintegrated the bacon and melted the container I had it in to heat it up. When I say disintegrated I literally mean disintegrated. There was NOTHING LEFT, not even a sniff of bacon, no crumbs, NOTHING LEFT and the smell was awful. I have never in my life smelled anything so terrible.
Shortly after I disintegrated the bacon my husband got home and walked in the door and the first thing he said was "What the hades is that God awful stench"..........LOL

I told him what had happened and he laughed and laughed and laughed and we went out to supper but that stench stayed in our home for about 3 days, cripes, it was the most horrid 3 days in our home just from the stench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 02:00 PM

1,468 posts, read 1,756,945 times
Putting a casserole in the oven for too long. It was inedible, burnt, and stank twenty minutes later.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:42 PM

12,239 posts, read 1,720,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Everyone who cooks has a disaster or 3 somewhere down the line that is so awful you end up throwing it all away and starting over or going out for supper. So tell us some of the dining disasters that have come forth in your kitchen but never made it to the table for others to enjoy.

I'll start: I had some left over bacon and decided to make a BLT which is one of my and my husband's favorite go to sandwiches. I toasted the bread cut the tomato, got the lettuce put on the sandwich and decided to heat up the bacon in the microwave. Not a big deal right? WRONG. I not only heated up the bacon I disintegrated the bacon and melted the container I had it in to heat it up. When I say disintegrated I literally mean disintegrated. There was NOTHING LEFT, not even a sniff of bacon, no crumbs, NOTHING LEFT and the smell was awful. I have never in my life smelled anything so terrible.
Shortly after I disintegrated the bacon my husband got home and walked in the door and the first thing he said was "What the hades is that God awful stench"..........LOL

I told him what had happened and he laughed and laughed and laughed and we went out to supper but that stench stayed in our home for about 3 days, cripes, it was the most horrid 3 days in our home just from the stench.
I did almost the same thing with the pre-cooked bacon. I set the microwave timer for too long and it turned black and smelled awful!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 AM

16,915 posts, read 5,565,849 times
It was our first Christmas dinner as a married couple in our new house. I was going to do a traditional Christmas dinner: roast turkey breast with candied yams, stuffing, cranberry sauce, the whole nine yards. I wanted to be super-efficient and prepared, so I went out and bought the turkey breast a few days ahead of time. On Christmas Day, as it roasted in the oven, something strange happened. The house started to smell like rancid poultry. Yes, the turkey had gone off. I had to open the windows to get rid of the smell. Then I wrapped the bird well and took it downstairs to the garbage. The side dishes were good -- but the main dish was a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,157,607 times
I think I've done just about everything wrong at least once. I get to "mess'n" with recipe or go at it myself and then "bam", it sucks. lol

I've overcooked more steaks than I can count, to the point of dog wouldn't eat it.
Burgers that the NHL still uses
Shrimp overcooked to the point you couldn't peel the shell off
Chicken skin that Goodyear uses to patch tires
One of the worst was using a weber kettle to cook a frozen pizza. Left it, came back and the crust was done,
and fake cheese not quite melted. The bottom "crust" looked like a man hole cover. serious, completly black, void of all light. lol Pizza Hut was good that night.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:59 PM

7,468 posts, read 13,100,441 times
The bacon thing ... on my microwave it is WAY too easy to input 20:00 instead of 2:00 ... then several minutes later you are thinking, "Hmmm, why is the microwave still going?"

Old 10-11-2012, 07:13 PM

242 posts, read 328,560 times
One year I was carving the Turkey at my sister-in-law's house only to find that she hadn't removed any of the giblets or their paper wrapping from the inside.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 PM

14,421 posts, read 24,457,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I was trying to make spaghetti and meatballs. I went into the pantry and grabbed what I thought was spaghetti but it was THIN vermicelli. I guess that I cooked it too long but >>> when I went to serve it, all I had was a pan of starch water.

======================

When I moved to Chicagoland, my employer put me up in an extended stay property which was the home to dozens of Asian engineers, some of whom are less than familiar with American products.

One of the ladies wanted some microwave popcorn. She placed the popcorn in the microwave, set the timer for 30 minutes and went to the pool. Needless to say, the fire department was there in about ten minutes.

The irony was that the fire captain who responded to the smoke was the husband of the HR manager who booked the room.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,788,280 times
I made Beef Wellington for Christmas, it was perfect, I even cut the puff pastry into leaves and vines and glazed it perfectly. Unfortunately, I chose the wrong piece of beef, it was really hard to cut. It was Martha Stewart meets Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:14 PM

12,971 posts, read 24,041,948 times
One holiday season in the NorthWest good friends asked me to dog sit and house sit their lovely home while they went on a long trip.

A day or two into my residence, I read a cooking article about a fascinating pine nut preserve that I thought would be fun to make, and to put up in decorative jars for holiday gifts. And what a great place to do that, in my friends' spacious, well-equipped kitchen!

Unfortunately I made a miscalculation in trying to cook the base sugar syrup in too small a saucepan. It boiled over, flooding the heating element with sugar which immediately sent up acrid smoke. I was barely able to turn off the heat and pull the saucepan off the stove before I had to run for the door, gasping for breath. When I returned to the house I was horrified to find that the smell seemed to have gone everywhere.

I spent a lot of time over the following week soaking and scrubbing and wiping hard surfaces down, and leaving the doors open as much as I could stand it in the cold weather. But when my friends returned home, I could see the questioning look when they walked in the door and got a whiff of what was still on the air.

Never mind that the dog was healthy and happy, that all the houseplants were shiny and perky, or that the heron had been successful been kept out of the koi pond... none of that was noticed, because there was that awful sickly burnt smell hanging in the air.

They never spoke to me again.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-11-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink