Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,185,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I get really tired of hearing people speak our language so sloppily -- and some of them are even highly educated which is really pathetic.
But you're clearly fine with writing sloppily and incorrectly. Grammar nazis

Anyway, back to the actual topic.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
If you are eating tilapia, salmon, flounder, cod or mahi-mahi, you can pretty much eat it every day- they are low-risk fish, especially if they are "free-range" And salmon has awesome omega-3's, which are good for you. You should supplement with other sources of protein though- beans like kidney beans, black beans, etc, tofu, cheese, peanut butter (though high in fat), or healthy nuts (almonds) and seeds (sunflower, etc). I think that not having any other protein than that available in the fish might leave you lacking in some vitamins/minerals.

And I pray that you are using breath mints if you are eating fish every day.
Well said on all counts, including the mints. There are very few fish which present a serious mercury concern; primarily "predatory fish" like those mentioned above...and of those, only tuna is really consumed with enough frequency by people to merit a big concern. Further, the health benefits of fish are huge.

In short, eat up, because fish is so good for you that eating it every day is in fact a good idea, not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,479,986 times
Dead thread resurrection!! The OP is no longer a member!! That said ..all things in moderation!!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:32 AM

43 posts, read 86,359 times
not bad ,very great!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,861,379 times
I think eating any kind of meat, everyday, is bad. You should try to have "meatless" days every other day (like, Tuesday have meat, but on Wednesday don't and vice-versa). I noticed that this is a lot healthier to do and if you're trying to lose weight, this is a great way to do it also.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 8,228 times
This never makes the media cause there isn't a enormous fish industry in the US. (Yes, didn't you know that most meat produced in the US is owned by the same people? Big companies, Lots of money. blah.) But anyways Fish naturally have alkylglycerols in their lipids which pull out the toxic mercury from its flesh. When we eat fish, the alkylglycerols also remove mercury and other heavy toxic metals from our bodies. They are unique in that they are oil based, chelating agents---substances that grab and remove heavy toxic metals from our bodies. (They are also present in mother's milk and bone marrow.)

Old 05-25-2011, 04:17 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,964,682 times
Talking Well, ahumm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Here's what I've gotten so far through classes, meetings...etc.
Fish IS healthy.....if eaten once or twice a week.
Larger, older and "denser" meat fish like Shark, Swordfish, Tuna tend to store and absorb more and higher quantities of mercury levels.
However....with good caution it is found, that it is an absolute healthy way to give your body protein as well as Omega oil acids, which the overall human health benefits from.
It goes just like with anything else......everything in moderation is key.
Enjoy!!
There is a LOT of information out there about "fish" "seafood/shell fish" etc.
#1-Always remember: FRESHNESS is everything in the Seafood biz.
#2-Know your supplier.
#3-Know what types of fish/shellfish you like best and what is "really" in season. East coast; west coast; gulf; SE coast; Mexico and Hawaii; Fiji etc.
#4-Frozen fish/seafood/shellfish isn't always a good bet. There are soooo many way's that fish have been handled: older fresh and frozen; fish from other countries that has been frozen whole and slacked out and refrozen in the U.S. and shellfish that has been in warm climates and frozen
#5-If it SMELLS FISHEY...IT AIN'T FRESH...
I really miss "FRESH" SEAFOOD here in NM. I know where to get it, but it is a long trip and the prices are very high.

Got sick on salmon??
Well, there are basically 5 types of salmon processed in the US.

King, AKA Chinock. The first to appear in AK: Copper River etc. Very high fat content and very high prices. BUT the best in my estimation.
Caught in the entrance to rivers and also troll caught. Excellent smoked or canned.

Coho, AKA Silvers. Usually one of the first to appear in AK also. Usually net caught: a very good salmon and if you know what you are buying is very good as frozen fish. Very good smoked or canned.

Sockeye AKA Reds. My favorite. Good fat content and highly regarded by the Japanese. Excellent fresh as a fillet on the BBQ. Escellent smoked.

Pinks. Many years ago millions of pounds were processed as canned. Used to sell for 10 cents/lb. It is ok if very fresh and gutted right away. Canned is good quality. I would not recommend to buy this fish frozen as it can be "belly" burned (left too long before cleaning and the acid in the stomach "burns" the flesh)

Chum AKA Dog salmon or SilverBrights. Depends when and where it is caught.
Fresh and I mean fresh in the ocean it is a mild salmon but is not bad.
River caught and getting ready to spawn no way.
In between it is used as a "SMOKER SALMON" by many processors and is ok.

AND there are over 67 "types" of rockfish...stay tuned on that one.

After being in the Seafood/processor/distribution/fisherman side of fish for over 40 years I have gained some insight.

Eat Sushi....

Capt. Seafood and (if it smells fishy)

Old 05-25-2011, 07:54 PM

22,569 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Here's what I've gotten so far through classes, meetings...etc.
Fish IS healthy.....if eaten once or twice a week.
Larger, older and "denser" meat fish like Shark, Swordfish, Tuna tend to store and absorb more and higher quantities of mercury levels.
However....with good caution it is found, that it is an absolute healthy way to give your body protein as well as Omega oil acids, which the overall human health benefits from.
It goes just like with anything else......everything in moderation is key.
Enjoy!!
Are you saying that eating fish more than 2 times a week is unhealthy????

One of the greatest sources of Omega 3 is fatty fish, much of it has non-detectable or nearly non-detectable levels of mercury.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM

61,116 posts, read 85,934,275 times
Everyday fish? How boring!!!

Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM

22,569 posts, read 24,369,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Everyday fish? How boring!!!

Lots of different kinds of fish....and there is three meals in day......2 others to eat different food-type material.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:27 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,075,267 times
I live in the Northeast, we eat fish between tuna in our salad for lunch and other fish for main courses for dinner about 5-6 times a week. I'm fortunate that I fish often, so I know exactly where my fish is coming from, mostly codfish, haddock, blackfish, sea bass (not chilean seabass which is actually patagonian toothfish, tasty but frozen and imported) fluke, etc etc.

You can prepare fish lots of different ways to keep it intersting, baked, stewed with fresh tomatoes, blackened, oreganata with breadcrums on top, fried (once in a while) etc etc.

White flaky fish is healthy for you, not as many Omega 3's as salmon or sardines but still excellent for your body.

Don't believe the hype that fish is bad.

Eat local fish, live longer.

And please please please avoid farm raised crap like shrimp and tilapia....ewww.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink