Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:03 PM

61,386 posts, read 86,312,362 times

Advertisements

Earlier this week, pharmaceutical giant Pfizer announced it would "voluntarily" stop selling a widely used arsenic-laced poultry feed additive, after FDA tests found traces of the poison in chicken meat. The nifty poultry feed additive is bearing the charming name of Roxarsone.
However Pfizer is the largest, but not the only, producer of it. Pfizer's Alpharma division produces about half of the Roxarsone used in the US. What about the other half?
At this point, what's the rush? Twelve years after the European Union banned Roxarsone, five years after it emerged as an obvious public-health menace in the scientific literature, US farmers were still applying 2 million pounds of it to chicken feed each year at the time of Pfizer's decision.

Roxarsone promoted growth, increased feed efficiency (pounds of chicken produced from each pound of feed), and improved flesh pigmentation as well ( you know, that rosy-pink hue consumers have come to associated with fresh chicken meat. )

According to Food and Water Watch, "Chronic exposure to arsenic is associated with increased risk for several kinds of cancer, including bladder, kidney, lung, liver and prostate." Moreover, "Arsenic exposure is associated with increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, as well as neurological problems in children."

Poison-Free Poultry | Food & Water Watch
FDA just says no to arsenic in chickens

Yeah! Eat more chicken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,312,065 times
I'm actually glad you brought this up...cause I find myself unable to eat or consume, not the raw uncooked chicken at the grocery store, but rather the deli chicken, the deli fried 'wings' chicken...

You know how they sell it in a tray, and cram in like 8-12 pieces...

Well I just can't eat it no more...my bodies like 'no'...

And I think some how, some way, if we listen to our bodies, we would be better off...

I'm not sure what it is...but it's like I'm becoming more sensitive to whatever else they add to chicken...the flavoring, the oil or grease it's baked in...just not sure...but I do know I've lost my appetite for it...and will give the remainder of it to the cats outside...boy will they be happy...

I was going to start a seperate thread titled 'food and poison' or something to that effect...

Again...I know it's not the raw food it'self that's bad, but rather the stuff they add to it...
Whatever they put in it, I can barely swallow it...it's like the bodies just saying 'no'...

So I will listen...

Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 AM

Sadly, you are absolutely right!! There is lots of poison in our food ...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,568,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sadly, you are absolutely right!! There is lots of poison in our food ...
and amazingly we live longer than ever before in human history. Not an attack just stating that our bodies are marvels of development to deal with toxins.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
and amazingly we live longer than ever before in human history. Not an attack just stating that our bodies are marvels of development to deal with toxins.
Ye, but in what type of condition?

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,568,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Ye, but in what type of condition?
Great condition overall if we can stop the over eating, over drinking, over drugging/smoking. Notice I didn't say over caffeinating. Thats the last thing i'll give up to the food police even after the come and take my guns from my cold dead hands.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:18 PM

^^^ We live longer because we have better doctors, hospitals and medications. But when you compare the amount of meds taken, say 50 years ago and now, the number of hospital and doctor visits, you will be surprised!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 PM

142 posts, read 567,296 times
Sad how arsenic 'laced' poultry feed was accepted simply because it fattened the chicken, which in turn, fattened their wallets. All is fair in the quest for the almighty $dollar$ - as usual.

That's why I'll spend a slight bit more, and go to organic foodstores (Wholefoods, Trader Joes, etc). At least I'm paying for chicken breasts with trace amounts of poisons in them.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,545,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Apparently those toxins aren't all that toxic.

Our bodies want what tastes good. There's no evidence whatsoever that people who eat "healthy" foods live any longer than those who eat what they crave. Life expectancy is a function of genetics.

And as you said we live longer than anytime in human history. That's proof.

Fat is almost back on the list of good things. But how many "healthy" eaters missed some mighty good meals when it was considered bad? Remember when coconut oil was considered one of the worst oils? Now the "healthy" eaters consider it a health food.

The issue isn't health; the issue is how people wish to be oh-so fashionable and trendy.

Bulldogdad, I can't rep you again yet. You really do deserve one.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:52 PM

I totally disagree...

I look at it as 'quality of life, or health'...

I've been inside of hospitals, and seen people who stuffed every donut down their mouth they could...I see all the healthy years that are robbed from them...sure their alive, but on medications to control diabetes, dialasis, arthritis, hearth disease, and every other thing...

So to me, it's not how long you live, it's what type of shape your in while alive...

And I've never seen anyone who pigged out on everything, once sickened by age 35, look back and suggest anyone do the same...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink