Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 AM

211 posts, read 984,066 times

Advertisements

I dont eat any meat except for fish, the place I just got a job at provides meals, but not to many Vegetarians options, I eat fish at least once maybe twice a day, is that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,388,965 times
it depends what kind of fish and how much everyday. Some fish has higher levels of mercury which can be bad.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:03 AM

27,245 posts, read 27,307,176 times
Actually, recently I read that some man in Japan who is 112 years old and still strong as a bull is because of his diet, which included lots of fish. The article mantioned he wanted to outlive the last guy in Japan who lived to be 115. It specified that the reason most of those Japanese stay so healthy for so long, and seem to live longer, is due to their big intake of fish, bing one of the staples out there. They also stay mentally/physically active, for the most part, where other areas, a lot of people who dont stay as active just dont seem to have the alertness and seem to have a bit more of health issues.
So I have to agree, maybe fish is better for us than we may think?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:08 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,410,987 times
Default I like fish too......

Here's what I've gotten so far through classes, meetings...etc.
Fish IS healthy.....if eaten once or twice a week.
Larger, older and "denser" meat fish like Shark, Swordfish, Tuna tend to store and absorb more and higher quantities of mercury levels.
However....with good caution it is found, that it is an absolute healthy way to give your body protein as well as Omega oil acids, which the overall human health benefits from.
It goes just like with anything else......everything in moderation is key.
Enjoy!!

Old 10-11-2007, 02:56 AM

1,048 posts, read 6,431,089 times
Salmon's the way to go!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
Salmon's the way to go!
I agree, I had Salmon today and it was awesome, I could eat it every day

Old 10-12-2007, 08:37 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,881,526 times
If you are eating tilapia, salmon, flounder, cod or mahi-mahi, you can pretty much eat it every day- they are low-risk fish, especially if they are "free-range" And salmon has awesome omega-3's, which are good for you. You should supplement with other sources of protein though- beans like kidney beans, black beans, etc, tofu, cheese, peanut butter (though high in fat), or healthy nuts (almonds) and seeds (sunflower, etc). I think that not having any other protein than that available in the fish might leave you lacking in some vitamins/minerals.

And I pray that you are using breath mints if you are eating fish every day.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,397,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Actually, recently I read that some man in Japan who is 112 years old and still strong as a bull is because of his diet, which included lots of fish. The article mantioned he wanted to outlive the last guy in Japan who lived to be 115. It specified that the reason most of those Japanese stay so healthy for so long, and seem to live longer, is due to their big intake of fish, bing one of the staples out there. They also stay mentally/physically active, for the most part, where other areas, a lot of people who dont stay as active just dont seem to have the alertness and seem to have a bit more of health issues.
So I have to agree, maybe fish is better for us than we may think?
"Lots of fish" to the Japanese is probably a 3 oz serving.

Even better for you than fish, especially LOTS of fish, is LOTS of dark green leafy vegetables like Kale, collard greens, cabbage, broccolli and whole grains like long or short grain brown rice, millet, amaranth, quinoa.

Legumes are very good for you (beans like kidney beans and chickpeas and black beans). Also Sea Vegetables are LOADED with nutrition and they are rarely talked about or never talked about among mainstream so called "experts"

Not quite as good for you would be stone grown whole wheat and corn flower and barley.

Fruit is good occassionally but contrary to popular opinion, LOTS of fruit is not good because it turns to sugar.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM

4,409 posts, read 9,093,963 times
It depends what kind of fish and mercury levels are indeed a concern. However, if you do the proper research there is some fish rumored to help diabetes and some people believe it can even cure it. Of course the FDA and the health industry does'nt want you to know this. They want to keep charging high premiums and selling you pills.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 PM

I think I ate my last fish anyway, had the Salmon last nite and got ridiculously sick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink