Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:08 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

I freeze cheese all the time but never eggs. This is a good idea cause I don't always keep eggs on hand. Anybody ever freeze eggs?

http://www.allyou.com/food/family-me...0400000061790/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
[quote=no kudzu;26612616]I freeze cheese all the time but never eggs. This is a good idea cause I don't always keep eggs on hand. Anybody ever freeze eggs?

8 Surprising Foods You Can Freeze - AllYou.com[/QUOI freeze cheese but it can dry out, so it depends on what kind and what I am going to use it for. One I always freeze is blue cheese. I buy it in large bulks at Sam's but it is was too much. I also have been freezing tomato paste and ginger, plus nuts for years..I too, am surprised about eggs and herbs.

Nita

Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times
I've never frozen eggs, but I remember my mom using eggs that had frozen in the fridge when it was set too cold. This seemed to happen a lot for her. They were always fine. I always freeze nuts and I have a friend that freezes stuff like cilantro, but I've never tried it. I read all kind of controversial stuff about freezing milk, so I've just never done it. I've read that it can destroy some of the nutritional properties of the milk. Then I've also read that this is not true. Not sure which to believe. Cheese, I wouldn't have thought of.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 AM

881 posts, read 2,091,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I freeze cheese all the time but never eggs. This is a good idea cause I don't always keep eggs on hand. Anybody ever freeze eggs
Sure - but as the article points out, not "in shell". I'm less than sanguine on their cheese list & milk - I'd only "freeze" (store dehydrated, really) very hard cheeses, and never milk, as freezing causes the milk fats to precipitate upon thawing (thus skim/lowfat tends to stay, well, milky). FWIW, I though everyone knew that freeze drying herbs was a good thing, and nuts too. As to unsweetened lime & lemon juices, why bother? They keep for a very long time w/simple refrigeration...

Old 10-22-2012, 07:32 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Well that was a nice link, thank you for sharing. I used to freeze milk when my kids were little but I never liked the way it was once it thawed. To me it just was not the same as it was before I froze it.

This, of course, could have been in my mind! lol

Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
I have an old ice cube tray that I keep for freezing "flavor cubes" of various kinds, particularly pesto, or spicy tomato sauce. Once they freeze I put them in heavy duty freezer bags and pull one or two out when I want a quick *BAM* of flavor in something I'm making.

Freezing eggs? I don't get the point, actually. Eggs last for many months under normal refrigeration.

Cheese for cooking, yes. It needs to be well wrapped... I double bag it... so it does not dry out, nor pick up off flavors.

BTW, some people keep coffee in the freezer, but my coffee farmer friend says no, definitely not. It's better to keep it in an airtight container in a dark cool cabinet.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
I always freeze herbs and nuts. Nuts can be eaten right out of the freezer, and I've started to actually enjoy them that way, especially pistachios! I also freeze grapes in the summer- great snack, they're like candy!

With the herbs, I was getting frustrated that everytime I buy a bunch, they go bad because with just the 2 of us, we can only use so much. I do have dried herbs, and fresh "freeze dried" as well, but sometimes you want the real thing. I started freezing them wrapped in paper towels. Works great, I just snip off what I need and stick them back in the freezer. I heard you could do the same with green onions, but I haven't yet.

The tomato paste is a great one! I never use the whole can and it ends up sitting in the fridge. Half the time, I find it some time later and throw it out. I will freeze in ice cube trays, and force myself to make some pestos along with it!

Thanks for the link!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I have frozen nuts, cheese, left over gravies and sauces, breads, fresh herbs, chocolate.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have frozen nuts, cheese, left over gravies and sauces, breads, fresh herbs, chocolate.
yep, chocolate is another one that freezes well. I have been doing that for decades.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
I've frozen cheese before, accidentally, and I hate how it crumbles when you try to cut it after it thaws. Especially sharp cheddar, which is one i buy the most, it's already crumbly!
Good idea about the herbs though, I never thought you could freeze them, and I do hate it when my cilantro goes bad before I use it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink