U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:08 PM

11,456 posts, read 8,436,460 times

Advertisements

I have about 5 of these containers on hand just in case there is a bad storm and we can't get out to buy milk. LI is supposed to get hit with hurricane sandy on monday pretty bad. Anyway what makes this milk able to not be refirgerated and last long???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM

9,758 posts, read 13,819,508 times
Parmalat milk is ultra pasteurized, so it becomes shelf stable provided it remains hermetically sealed. Once the box is open, it needs to be refrigerated and consumed within a few days.

When I lived in Europe I always bought it, as a supplement to the fresh milk (especially in the hot months). I didn't even realize it was available in the states, I've never seen it here. Where did you buy it?

Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM

261 posts, read 436,140 times
Good for only two things: Mac n' Cheese and Rice Pudding

Old 10-25-2012, 08:29 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,966,012 times
Default Parmalat milk

Lubby, I sure hope the storm misses you.

I've been buying this for years in regular grocery stores. I like to keep some during the winter in case of snow or ice and I also like to take it on trips. It's safe on the shelf until you open it.

I keep evaporated milk also but I like it for coffee and cooking. It's nice to have some milk to drink.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:18 PM

631 posts, read 337,647 times
Don't forget to get your bread and eggs also. Here in Northeast PA, bread, eggs and milk disappear from store shelves as soon as the weather channel hints at a storm.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:10 AM

5,039 posts, read 3,802,439 times
I used to keep powdered milk on hand for emergencies, along with bottled water to mix it with. That way I would just make as much as I'd need and not have to worry about refrigeration or water.

I know Parmalat is shelf-stable, but I'm brainwashed into thinking milk has to be refrigerated and can't get past the thought that it isn't.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 AM

12,795 posts, read 10,845,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Anyway what makes this milk able to not be refirgerated and last long???
Fresh milk has to be refrigerated to inhibit the growth of naturally occurring microorganisms which will turn the milk sour. Pasteurization kills the dangerous organisms in milk, if they happen to show up, but it does not kill everything. Therefore fresh milk is a live culture, and over time it will sour. Refrigeration slows the souring process, but does not stop it completely. Leaving the milk out at room temperature results in the milk souring more quickly.

Parmalat and other shelf-stable milks go a bit farther. They use an ultra-pasteurization process which kills all the microorganisms in the milk and leaves it sterile, then seals it in an air tight package, allowing it to be stored on a shelf. without refrigeration.

Once you open the package, however, the sterile seal is gone and outside air, containing naturally occurring microorganisms, can enter. So it is best if you can refrigerate the milk after opening for longest keeping quality, but even without refrigeration it will normally last several days before it sours.

Interesting sidebar... pure silver has anti-microbial properties, so in the colonial era housewives would place a silver coin in the bottom of the milk pitcher to keep the milk fresh a little longer. They'd also keep the pitcher in the coolest place in the house, often with a damp cloth draped over it to get a little evaporative cooling going. Both techniques are still valid in the event of an emergency today.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:06 AM

11,456 posts, read 8,436,460 times
I get mine in my local grocery store, there are several brands like this and it even comes in chocolate milk. I have frozen bagels and rolls and 3 pitas left. I have 1 1/2 doezen eggs. I am not grocery shopping until next week after the storm passes. It's supposed to be bad. I know parts of PA are getting hit with a foot of snow.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:15 PM

12,795 posts, read 10,845,416 times
I do have an appropriate supply of canned and dried foods on hand for just such situations as this. Since I don't have kids any more I wouldn't bother with the Parmalat myself. I really don't know what to say to an adult who thinks they can't get by for a few days without drinking milk.

And besides, I thought everyone knew that vodka is the best thing by far to drink in bad emergencies, like this one is shaping up to be.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:18 AM

7,894 posts, read 8,383,651 times
I like something white in my coffee. In a pinch, that's been whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Any port in a storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink