Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you or would you eat raw fish?
tried and liked it 47 72.31%
tried and disliked it 8 12.31%
havent tried it but want to 0 0%
havent tried it and dont want to 10 15.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,485,386 times

Advertisements

To be really honest, I am colorblind so I would not know. However, my wife being native Japanese is quite used to it. She was very surprised to get it in America, but very pleased.

Also, Tako means Octopus, not a specific type.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
To be really honest, I am colorblind so I would not know. However, my wife being native Japanese is quite used to it. She was very surprised to get it in America, but very pleased.

Also, Tako means Octopus, not a specific type.
Yes I know. But there is really only one tako served in the US. And that is the one standardly parbroiled. I don't think you or your wife have ever eaten live or fresh tako of the sort served in the US. Did you see a full animal intact? These guys have roughly inch and a half tentacles. I would guess at least a foot long. Maybe longer. I have never seen one intact in the US. Have you?

From a quick internet check the ones eaten fresh or live are a couple of inches long with 1/8 inch tentacles if that.

I suspect you are eating well cooked octopus without being aware of it.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Depending on the processing and preparation....you can be at risk for parasite infection.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Yes I know. But there is really only one tako served in the US. And that is the one standardly parbroiled. I don't think you or your wife have ever eaten live or fresh tako of the sort served in the US. Did you see a full animal intact? These guys have roughly inch and a half tentacles. I would guess at least a foot long. Maybe longer. I have never seen one intact in the US. Have you?

From a quick internet check the ones eaten fresh or live are a couple of inches long with 1/8 inch tentacles if that.

I suspect you are eating well cooked octopus without being aware of it.
No, I go to a relatively high end place where the chef is famous for his fresh ingredients. Are you really going to tell me my wife who has eaten this stuff all her life does not know the difference? She has had both cooked and raw, as have I. There is a distinctive difference in taste and texture.

Now you are just arguing for the sake of it.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I want to like it because it's healthy for you but I just can get past the texture and the fact that it's not cooked. I have had tuna roll and my husband was proud that I ate 3 pieces even though I gagged. He loves sushi. Maybe I can give it another try.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I want to like it because it's healthy for you but I just can get past the texture and the fact that it's not cooked. I have had tuna roll and my husband was proud that I ate 3 pieces even though I gagged. He loves sushi. Maybe I can give it another try.
You try it with Soy Sauce?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:34 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
You try it with Soy Sauce?
yes and with wasabi and the texture makes me gag. I love japanese food just not the raw fish part of it and I love wasabi.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 AM

987 posts, read 1,386,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Until maybe 5 years ago I found the idea of eating raw fish in sushi or sashimi a bit offputting. It wasn't totally gross, but I imagined the texture and taste would be awful. Partly via smoked salmon and trout which I love, I've found I quite like well made sashimi, mostly salmon moreso than tuna or white fishes though. I had some today where the fish was cold and stringy and it was kind of icky.

Sushi is now mainstream but a lot of folks still shy away from the raw. Personally, do you eat raw fish if its done well and prepared safely? If not would you? If you're a convert relate your story or how you opened up to eating fish raw.

As an aside is there anyone here who will eat smoked but not fully raw fish? Anyone who won't even eat smoked fish?
I've had a bad experience eating raw fish long ago when I was in Okinawa, Japan of all places! I had the runs (LBM) for 3 day! So now, no raw fish for me, only half cooked or soft smoked seafood like salmon, halibut, skate or thick octopus tentacles which are my favorite are AOK! Cooked clams, oysters, scallops, crabs and lobsters are great too! No sea cucumbers or ells please in any shape or form, just too icky for my taste!

Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
No, I go to a relatively high end place where the chef is famous for his fresh ingredients. Are you really going to tell me my wife who has eaten this stuff all her life does not know the difference? She has had both cooked and raw, as have I. There is a distinctive difference in taste and texture.

Now you are just arguing for the sake of it.
Actually no. I learned Sushi in Japan and have eaten virtually anything available in places like tsukiji.

That started about 45 years ago. So if you wife is younger than that I may well have been eating sushi longer than she has been.

As far as I can tell the normal octopus served in sushi bars in the US and Japan is inedible unless heavily cooked. Simply impossible to chew if not heavily tenderized.

There does appear to be a Korean pub custom of serving fresh infantile octopus as a dish. But these are very dissimilar to the sushi Tako and much more like infantile Ika.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM

Not all US, and yes she is younger then you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink