Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:21 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Ive done that a few tines. Pizza, make some fried chicken, or Chinese take out, no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Absolutely!!! I don't care for a ham ( its great for sandwiches, but not as a dinner) and despise turkey - the meat has no taste to me ( even if filled with dressing and covered with gravy ). For holidays we usually have goose, duck, rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, prime rib or fish.
I don't consider ham, turkey or chicken a festive dinner.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:59 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Every year we do whatever we feel like at Christmas ( sadly no Thanksgiving over here, a shame as I love it !). There is only the two of us so for a start it would be absurd to cook a turkey or a ham. We both hate cooking and Christmas is for relaxing not sweating in the kitchen over a hot stove IMO !

We tend to buy posh canapes, smoked salmon and then either do a Cheese fondue ( easy, cheap, and little washing up, mess , hassles and really TASTY) or buy something posh from the deli ready made.

I will usually buy some posh dessert for myself, Hubby buys a mini posh Christmas Pudding from the deli and Voila !

My family also always sends me Foie Gras from France every year so there is hardly ever any cooking at Christmas for us. I am even thinking of going to the restaurant instead and let someone else worry about it.

Then we have more time to enjoy each other's company, watch a couple of Christmassy DVDs or read...

I used to love Christmas, now I dread it. It has become such a commercial orgy of vapid consumerism that I basically want it to be over as quickly as possible. The stores here open on Boxing day and the masses having been stopped from shopping from a whole day start gathering early morning so they can start buying again. It is truly pathetic. Christmas in Britain just sucks. We escaped to Belgium last year and might do so again this year....

Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Not in our family because it wouldn't be a Thanksgiving at my mom's with out her traditional dishes. Other holidays we do what ever we feel like but Thanksgiving always stays the same in regards to the foods that are made.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,905,041 times
I hated dry old turkey until I ordered a smoked one from Greenberg's Smoked Turkeys, in East Texas. Yum. Also down here in Texas, it's somewhat tradiational to have tamales at Thanksgiving and Christmas

Old 11-05-2012, 10:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Absolutely!!! I don't care for a ham ( its great for sandwiches, but not as a dinner) and despise turkey - the meat has no taste to me ( even if filled with dressing and covered with gravy ). For holidays we usually have goose, duck, rack of lamb, beef tenderloin, prime rib or fish.
I don't consider ham, turkey or chicken a festive dinner.
Wow you've had some pathetically prepared birds and ham. Too bad.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
For Thanksgiving, we stick to the plan, but change it up a little: smoked turkey on the Big Green Egg, stuffing from scratch with sausage and marmalade, mashed sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole. Soooo good!

For Easter, we don't follow any tradition. I usually make homemade sauce, fresh pasta, fresh bread and put it all into a lasagna!

Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Even though it's only my wife and me, we will have a traditional Thanksgiving, turkey dinner with all the trimmings. We love the way the house smells while everything is going and you can't beat the leftovers, especially the sandwiches.

I'm with Happy in Wyoming when it comes to oyster stew on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, my wife is not fond of it. That doesn't necessarily stop me from making it for myself and I may or may not. However, Christmas dinner will be a standing rib/prime rib roast with roasted potatoes and a fresh vegetable or two. The only question will be whether the roast goes in the oven or I do it on the grill.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
I hated dry old turkey until I ordered a smoked one from Greenberg's Smoked Turkeys, in East Texas. Yum. Also down here in Texas, it's somewhat tradiational to have tamales at Thanksgiving and Christmas
So who was the lousy cook who made and served to dry old turkey? We always roast ours breast side down, turning it right side up toward the end to crisp the skin. The entire bird comes out tender and juicy.

If you have a covered grill, you could smoke your own turkey. At least once a year I will usually smoke a whole turkey breast since there are only two of us to feed. Like our whole turkeys they come out moist and delicious.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
We've had many non-traditional meals, including lasagna and fettucine alfredo with homemade focaccia bread. Last year we had shrimp and salmon. I hate fooling with a turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink