Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We have the traditional and will forevermore. One time only, I visited our butcher and had rib eye steaks cut ... was going to deviate. Steaks, potatoes, salad, french bread, sweet ice tea and a banana pudding. In addition I had baked cookies, sausage balls and a pecan pie.

Daughter was in her first year of college, arrived home and broke into tears ... asking 'can we not afford a turkey and ham?' All day long I heard from the family, what will we have for leftovers? Mom, can you just make a pan of dressing? Mom, I miss the fruit salad. Then as they watch the football games I am called in to view happy families gathered around their bird giving thanks. They were all too old to do the "starving kids in Africa/India number on them."

I still hear ... remember that Thanksgiving and Mom cooked steaks!

Sooooo ... it's traditional all the way ... as Edgar Allen Poe said ... Forevermore!
Same at my mom's house. It wouldn't be the same if she made anything different. I help make the food as well. I make 3 side dishes plus a homemade apple pie.Thanksgiving has always been my mom's holiday to cook and she'll never give that one up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:47 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
we use the word tradition- what norms are today and what they were years ago,,,,

I think its hilarious to see thanksgiving (home movies) when we were kids....it was the traditional meal, but what is so funny is all the adults have a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other- the whole house is one big cloud of smoke.....how times have changed (for the better)
the adults would drink a little too much-- and still be offered....one for the road.

and this could also be hell for the teenagers....in the family, getting the spanish inquisition from every adult around the table...
the teenagers and kids had to have manners-

Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Try a different perspective....the intent of the kids wasn't to "complain" but to compliment. They love the comfort of their mom's home cooking. A child who is living away looks forward to the comfort and familiarity of home. Which is the ultimate "mom-pliment"
npw maciesmom,,,you had to know i was jokin!!

Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
We only skip our traditional meals when something is majorly wrong. Death in the family, major illness, natural disaster...stuff like that. We all look forward to our holiday meals.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:34 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
A friend of mine has spaghetti for Christmas every year. It was her dad's recipe. So the family gathers on Christmas and cooks his spaghetti and remembers him. I like that.

As far as my house, we have the traditional dinner every year. My kids look forward to it. I remember being disappointed one year when I was in college and I went home at Thanksgiving - but my mom and dad were looking for some property several hours away so instead of Thanksgiving dinner, we looked at property. Ended up eating sandwiches in a hotel room in a small town for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:48 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Every year we do whatever we feel like at Christmas ( sadly no Thanksgiving over here, a shame as I love it !).
I have a neighbor who is from England, but has been in the United States for many years (she still has her accent, though, which I love). But she never celebrates Thanksgiving. I've always wondered why. I mean, I see how it's about pilgrams and all that, but just because her ancestors didn't come over on the Mayflower doesn't mean she can't celebrate Thanksgiving! Maybe she just doesn't want to.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
As the person who always has to fix Txgiving and Squidmas dinner for everyone, MY WORD IS LAW. I might fix potatoes or rice. I might make white potatoes or sweet. I might make apple pie instead of pumpkin. I hate doing the turkey autopsy -- I really don't like turkey that much -- and I might roast a duck, a rabbit, a ham instead. One year I even served vegetarian haggis in festive individual ramekins.

I know a guy from a Polish family who has sausage and sauerkraut at Thanksgiving.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:57 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We used to make a big pile of pork tamales for Thanksgiving....with rice and frijoles. Tomatillo salsa...flan for dessert....and Christmas...we all went skiing, who is going to waste a good ski day day cooking all day? Come home to a crockpot of stew....call it good.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
I saw some small turkey breasts today shopping. Gosh, maybe I'll sucumb...Hehe. But, they're small as can be. Still skipping the mashed potatoes. To me, they're like eating white bread, don't like them. I like potatoe skins so maybe twice baked. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd make up an eggplant parm day before and have that w/ a salad and Italian bread.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:08 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I would definitely celebrate Thanksgiving if I lived in the States. I think I actually prefer it to Christmas. I don't know why you wouldn't , when in Rome as they say ! It's just another excuse for a party after all !

I wish we had it over here ! Some American/Tex-Mex restaurants will do something but it's never the same of course,I think you need for it to be a National tradition, so that the whole country can pull together in one direction even if only for one day !

Of course somebody else can do the cooking because I hate cooking but if anyone is one guest short this year I am available if only "virtually"!!!!! Won't someone feed me ? Come on good people of C-D you know you want to ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink