Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times

Advertisements

We're having chicken for Thanksgiving, probably stuffing, twice baked potatoes, salad, rolls, etc., but no turkey, yams, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce...Not sure about the desert, maybe blueberry pie? Anyone do this or do you stick with the regular Thanksgiving foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
We're having chicken for Thanksgiving, probably stuffing, twice baked potatoes, salad, rolls, etc., but no turkey, yams, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce...Not sure about the desert, maybe blueberry pie? Anyone do this or do you stick with the regular Thanksgiving foods?

I did a little research on this and found that over 20% of americans dont eat turkeys on thanksgiving, and 16 million go out to eat...

not everybody likes turkey, so they buy hams or chicken, or beef roast..

If I had my choice, Id have prime rib and lobsters-

one reason the turkey is so popular is that the stores sell them below cost...its cheap...some stores are selling them at 49 or 69 lb, and they cost well over a dollar(per lb) to the stores...
(I use to be a meat manager at a chain store- saw this firsthand)

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Personally, I like the traditional Thanksgiving meal.

If the meal is not for many people, a turkey breast can be substituted for a whole turkey. A canned ham can be served instead of baking a whole ham. Lots of places sell already-cooked spiral cut hams.

Sides can be bought at delis, though some might not want to go that far from making a meal. Point is, there are ways to have the traditional foods withouth breaking your neck to prepare a Norman Rockwell dinner, if you know what I mean.

Also, some families have different traditions or supplement the traditions with, say, a pan of homemade lasagna or other foods, whether it's from their own ethnic tradition or just something they like.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I always prepare a traditional holiday meal, but some of our friends do not eat turkey and I really don't care for ham. Depending on who is coming to dinner, I might also have salmon or some other type of fish and usually some type of pasta dishes. That seems to please everyone.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Everyone in my husband's family likes the traditional turkey, cranberry, sweet potato, etc, etc.. thing. I don't. At all. My mother-in-law always makes me fish and roasted potatoes because she thinks that I'll starve. (I could make a meal out of stuffing, though.)

Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
I had baked stuffed Walleye for Thanksgiving once. It tasted really good...but it just wasn't right.

I need a turkey or a turducken. Even a great roast chicken or capon just isn't the same.

It's the same at Christmas and Christmas Eve just isn't Christmas Eve for me without oyster stew.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:33 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,541 times
I prefer to have the traditional Holiday meal, even though I am not that fond of turkey, but I do enjoy the many other passing dishes being passed around the dinner table, & the desserts too. One of the fine meals you can walk away satisfied & full. This year my passing dish will be a jello dessert.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:20 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I am NOT opposed to scrapping the traditional Thanksgiving meal as I would do so in a minute. However, if you are feeding a crowd and THEY are all expecting turkey, you can really upset some people.

When it is my call, I start off with seafood appetizers and do a standing rib beef roast.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:22 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
My ex and I once had pizza on Thanksgiving.

It was awesome-no worry or clean-up etc ...but then, no one else was involved....

Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
When I was single I just ate whatever or a couple of times I went out to eat with an elderly friend. Now that I have children we have turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Christmas, and prime rib for New Years day. All of those meats go on sale during this time of year, so that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink