U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM

3,269 posts, read 4,659,544 times

Advertisements

should I add something? lemon maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 01:06 AM

114,036 posts, read 52,353,828 times
Well, that's an unusual wish. Lemon is good on chicken.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
You may want to look into pork, lamb, veal, turkey, hare, beef, venison, fish or seafood.

I would have mentioned frog legs too, but I hear they taste like chicken.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:47 AM

414 posts, read 862,433 times
That IS an unusual wish. Lemon is very good on chicken and to my personal taste makes it seem more like fish other than the obvious chicken texture (but then I combine lemon and fish fairly often). I always keep lemon pepper seasoning and seasoned salt around for use on chicken.

One thing I enjoy doing is making chicken enchiladas with a white sauce (cheese & sour cream based) rather than a traditional enchilada sauce. Spiced with green chilis and onion, the chicken taste itself hardly comes through.

Ground chicken can be used in anything you'd use ground beef for, and with the flavors you'd normally combine with beef the chicken flavor would pretty much be gone.

Another thought is orange chicken. I made some orange chicken at home a couple of weeks ago, and it turned out great..and tasted like orange more than chicken.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:42 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times
hmmmmm.....wow I love the taste of chicken. Yes, indeed this is an usual request related to chicken meat taste. If your chicken is too dry for your taste, perhaps cook it less. If it's wild tasting, maybe you got hold of a wild chicken...they do travel the plains freely. If the chicken is tough, I bet it's old and even soaking that old thing in a vat of liquor won't soften her meat or make her any more palatable. If the taste is too strong, grind up the meat and feed it to the dog. If the taste is too mild, use lemon but that might give the poor old chicken an inferiority complex or it might make her taste like fish though. Or, just buy something which doesn't walk on two legs like.......fish, seafood, beef, veal, lamb, pork. And remember the other two legged meat....the turkey, is even more turkier than chicken is chickeny.

Just kidding of course ....no offense meant ....! Use lemon by all means....lemon pepper is great on grilled chicken. My personal perference would be blackening spice or use a combination of lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, salt, tiny bit of liquid smoke, cayenne and black pepper - marinade your chicken and you will always eat chicken and love the taste. If you want my marinade recipe, send me a message and I will give it to you.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:33 AM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
There is something about the lemon...
Mexican caldo is served with chopped onions and lemon wedge.
And there is Lemon Chicken as well.
Lots of recipes with chicken & lemon: http://goo.gl/yLCMg
Lemon chicken breasts: http://goo.gl/cFuvj

Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM

6,621 posts, read 11,170,823 times
Cook something other than chicken?

Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
If it's wild tasting, maybe you got hold of a wild chicken...they do travel the plains freely.
I didn't know you had wild chickens in Illinois. They're sure pesky critters. A lot of folks stay away when they're on the prod. Last fall there was a cowboy a-huntin' mavericks over by the Hole in the Wall. That used to be outlaw country. The outlaws are gone now but those wild chickens are even worse. Dark overcame the cowpoke so he decided to bed down for the night. Just at dusk he saw a wild chicken so he decided to have some grub. He shot one with his .44, knocked the head clean off. It was a big rooster, old and scrawny. Well, he dug some lemons, basil and garlic cloves along with his pepper grinder out of his poke and did his best. He was clean out of salt so he used some gunpowder. It wasn't fancy grub but a cowboy knows how to make do.

Just as he was a-finishin' up and thinkin' about some Cockburn's port he had in his saddle bag he heard the most horrible screaming you can imagine. Those vengeful chickens were a-chargin. He grabbed his Winchester and ran up into some rocks but he couldn't get a shot. Those chickens kept him up there for three whole days and nights. If a posse chasin' a horse thief hadn't happened along he might be up there yet.

Now you watch out for those chickens back there and you keep your kids and dogs close. Otherwise you just might never see them again.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:48 AM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural chick View Post
If the chicken is tough, I bet it's old and even soaking that old thing in a vat of liquor won't soften her meat or make her any more palatable.
I guess that my great aunt did not get the memo. She would convert a retired layer hen into a pretty outstanding chicken and dumplings.

I am sure that a young bird may have been more tender BUT you have to use the by-products somewhere as nothing does to waste.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,393,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I guess that my great aunt did not get the memo. She would convert a retired layer hen into a pretty outstanding chicken and dumplings.

I am sure that a young bird may have been more tender BUT you have to use the by-products somewhere as nothing does to waste.

LOL...the following is a real story....not long ago a cousin gave me three chickens which he told me were kind of old chickens when he butchered them. Loving home grown meat, I, of course, took them...I tried stewing for chicken and noodles. I tried lower simmering heat on another....and the last one I just thought what the heck I will cut her up, take the raw meat off the bone and stew it. Wrong.....nothing I did made those chickens tender. Those had to be 50 year old chickens as they were horrible.

And Wyoming....those prairie chickens roam these plains....and so do those dang wild turkeys....I have them in my yard all the time....but those prairie chickens will hide from you....so you have to sneak up on them....and aim carefully, right between the eyes. But they aren't bad in recipes....as long as you get the buck shot out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink