Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times

Advertisements

I love the OP's initial post! We may have been separated at birth! I have different quirks of course, but I too have my own quirks that make perfect sense to me, while I get deeply, deeply annoyed, at the visceral level, at other people's quirks, which make no sense at all.

One thing I HATE is people who drink their drink while food is still in their mouth. They say things like they're "washing it down." Last I checked, our swallowing function sets off peristalsis and that combined with gravity, will make the food go down. You don't need a drink to "wash" your food down. All that accomplishes is leaving tiny greasy bits of food floating in your glass to make my stomach turn. Yum.

I also can't stand when people mix their foods together that have no business being together. I have (an admittedly) strange list of "rules" of which foods can and can't touch, which makes perfect sense to me. But other people commit horrible atrocities like mixing their cranberry sauce into their mashed potatoes, or letting their Thanksgiving turkey & gravy touch their lasagna with tomato sauce. They say "What? It all goes to the same place!" Yes but when it's in your stomach, you don't taste the flavors mixing, and more importantly, I don't have to see the foods mixing. I frankly don't care about how they eat their food, as long as I can make sure my foods don't touch, but too many smart alecs know that I get grossed out, so they intentionally show me how they mix their food together. It's like we're 11.

I also eat around my plate, each food in order. I tend to be like the OP, and I'll save the best foods for last. But if it's a time-sensitive food, like a perfect medium filet mignon, then I eat that first, because if I save it until after the potato and veggies are done, it will have "rested" too long and won't be as good.

I eat any kind of mixed snack food one piece at a time. Like the other person who mentioned Chex mix. I'll eat one pice of this then one piece of that. I can't just shove several different pieces into my mouth. I want to taste them separately, not all mixed together. Why would a person want a nut, a pretzel stick and a pice of seasoned Chex in their mouth all at the same time? Same with jelly beans: why would a sane person put a handful of different jelly beans into his mouth? It's far better to taste the orange one, then the red one, then taste the purple one, then the black one. If I'm alone, I'll eat them in order, by color, from the ickiest flavor to the best flavor. For regular jelly beans, the black are last. With Starburst or Jolly Rancher jelly beans, red will be last. If other people are partaking, I make sure I eat the best flavors before other people take them all. Fortunately, I usually have no problem getting all the black jellybeans, since other people tend to think they're poison or something.

I get freaked out by buffets with servers. Like at a company event or a wedding, when you go line up for the catered food. I want to dish out my own food, not have the person dish it out for me. I want THAT piece of chicken, not that one. I want my potatoes au gratin from the corner where the burned edges are, not from the wet slimy middle. I always have to ask if I can take the spoon and get it myself. I also have to make sure they don't put food on the plate touching if the flavors should not touch according to my rules. I don't get how people in line will take just any piece the server wants to put on their plate, or how if there's not much room on the plate, they say, "just put it right on top." I actually start getting anxiety symptoms when I know I have to go up to a buffet that has servers, afraid I'm not going to get the food I want, or that the person will give me a hard time. I've been known to wait until everyone else gets their food, and then I sneak up when the server has walked away so I can dish out my own food. I went to one dinner with the Navy with the boyfriend, and I tipped a server especially, just to let me get my own food. Server was happy, I was happy. Boyfriend thought I was nuts, but because I was happy, he ended up happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 03:22 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
Speaking of children with lack of manners, my sister's "brood" as we call them are at the top of that list.
One Thanksgiving, as I set the turkey I had been working on for 6 hours or so on the table, the second in line looks at it and goes "EEEWWWWWWW!!!! I'm not eating that!!!" The third ate nothing but the store-bought rolls my sister "contributed" to the meal, (she didn't even warm them up), and the youngest ate the whip cream off her pie, and then asked for another piece!! And my mother? Said nothing.
Even told the youngest "You can eat Gramma's whipped cream" after I told her I was NOT giving her a second piece of pie when she hadn't eaten the first one. (IMHO eating the whipped cream only doesn't constitute eating your pie.)
1. This sound like my sister's kids.
2. Sounds like my mother too--she never would have let us get away with what the grand-angels get away with.
3. What a sad, sad waste of pie.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:50 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,635,983 times
Disgusting people who blow their nose at the table in restaurants or at the dinner table at someone's home
People who taste the food they are cooking and then stick the same spoon back into the pot

Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,408,010 times
People who stick their tongue out when they are opening their mouth to put something into it. Yuck.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Disgusting people who blow their nose at the table in restaurants or at the dinner table at someone's home
People who taste the food they are cooking and then stick the same spoon back into the pot
I used to be guilty of the above comment until my mother yelled at me and said leave the room and do that.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I used to be guilty of the above comment until my mother yelled at me and said leave the room and do that.

Well, once you were told differently by your mom, you knew better. I'm talking about adults who still do this and disgust the other diners with loud honking and sniffing sounds.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:09 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Well, once you were told differently by your mom, you knew better. I'm talking about adults who still do this and disgust the other diners with loud honking and sniffing sounds.
I was an adult this was when I was in my late 20's. I should have known better and I guess I did not think it was a big deal.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
People who stick their tongue out when they are opening their mouth to put something into it. Yuck.
My father-in-law used to do that until I teased him about it so I wouldn't hurt his feelings. I don't think he was aware that he was doing it or how bad it looked because no one ever said anything to him.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 PM

12,540 posts, read 2,137,356 times
Dislikes:
Licking fingers
Smacking noises
Chewing with mouth open
The sticking out the tongue when taking a bite thing

It sounds like this is very common...I used to eat each food item on my plate one at a time. I didn't want anything touching. I also remember that I "couldn't" eat the last bite on my plate...I told my mom I would get sick if I did. I don't know if it was a control thing or not, but for the longest time I would leave one bite on my plate.

I had an OCD boss one time that had all kinds of food oddities. One that I remember is she ate M & M's two at a time and she always ate all of one color before moving on to the next...she had a color order, but I don't remember what it was.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:00 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Table manners are big with me. I don't like any type of animal behavior at the dinner table!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink