Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 11:29 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

Wow, I just wrote this on another thread somewhere, but it's the deli counters here in Savannah, where they don't pre slice anything. Where we moved from, all the most popular (turkey, ham, roast beef, or whatever was on sale) meats were presliced into the meat case, so you didn't have to wait an hour to get your stuff from the deli. I won't do it. Life is short.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:30 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Stork parking spots make me laugh. For most women, walking during pregnancy is beneficial. I'm 77 y.o. and when I circle the parking lot for the third time and the stork spot is the only one left, I'm tempted to park there and just let them tell me I'm not pregnant. Just let them tell me!
They make me laugh too, but not for the same reason. Some people aren't obviously pregnant. Some just don't get that big, and some are heavyset women, and their belly isn't obvious. Who monitors these parking spots to ensure that the person is pregnant? Do they demand an ultrasound pic as evidence?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Better yet, install a system like Aldi where you pay a quarter for a cart when you take one and get it back when you return it to the cart corral at the front of the store. That way, ALL the carts are secured as if someone does NOT return the cart, the next shopper will certainly do so to keep the quarter.
Except that these days a lot of people don't carry cash or coins with them - it's all debit cards.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I always had a quarter in my car for the Aldi cart. Woe betide the child who tried to take my Aldi quarter.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,150,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Except that these days a lot of people don't carry cash or coins with them - it's all debit cards.
I always keep a quarter in my wallet just in case I decide to stop at Aldi's.

One time I went to Aldi's, I found 3 carriages in the parking lot. I returned 2 and used the 3rd for shopping, then returned it.

I made 75 cents on my shopping trip.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Wow, I just wrote this on another thread somewhere, but it's the deli counters here in Savannah, where they don't pre slice anything. Where we moved from, all the most popular (turkey, ham, roast beef, or whatever was on sale) meats were presliced into the meat case, so you didn't have to wait an hour to get your stuff from the deli. I won't do it. Life is short.
See, this is the difference in people. I hate it when they pre slice stuff. There's only one store around here that does it, and I refuse to buy it. I've too often found that what they pre slice is the stuff they need to get rid of, that's old and about to go bad. Too often I've bought it only to have it get all slimy in a day or so. I'd rather wait and watch them slice it fresh, but their lines are never very long anyway. Usually only one or two people waiting. At the HEB near our home in Houston they had a self ordering kiosk at the deli. If yo didn't want to stand and wait, you could just walk up to the touch screen monitor and place your order and walk away. As I recall, it gave you a slip of paper that showed your order and gave you an order number. Then you could just go about your shopping and circle by the deli on your way to the checkout. They had a big basket at the end of the counter where they put all these orders and you just reached in and got yours. The only problem I had with it was a couple of times I forgot to go back and pick it up.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,404,871 times
Another one that I just remembered:

Cashiers who comment on your purchases. Look, I know that you are just trying to make conversation, but I don't care if you don't like tofu or whatever else I have in my cart. I'm not buying it to feed you.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
I absolutely despise aisles of non-grocery items right in the middle of a store (wares, magazines, wrapping paper, etc.). It breaks the continuity of the goods that I am there for. Unfortunately, way too many grocers format their arrangement this way. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,940,539 times
People who insist on going shopping with their spouse, mother, father, aunts, uncles and all the kids.

A pair of people who have to discuss every item before putting it in the cart, and blocking the aisle while doing so.

Coming out of the grocery store to find some flyer under my windshield wiper.

Coming out of the grocery store to be accosted by some panhandler while putting my groceries in the car.

Temporary displays of products placed in the center of aisles, making it impossible to pass anyone.

And the latest: Recently was behind two people at the deli counter who wanted a sample slice of every meat they ordered. They both ate the sample, then discussed its pros and cons and then authorized the deli clerk to cut a pound or so. They did this with several meats and then started on the cheeses. Arrgggh!

Yes, I am a cranky crab and I don't care for grocery shopping at all!

Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,490,960 times
I don't understand why people don't put their carts in the cartgates in the parking lots??
It is lazy and drives me crazy!
Especially when theybare left in the middle of a spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink