Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 12:05 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I just met Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) this week at my work - she was in my neck of the woods. She is a lovely, classy and friendly lady. I really enjoyed seeing her. I got to talk to her and she signed my cookbook. I posted about this in the cooking shows thread.

Lucky you, Goldy! I'd like to meet her but I'd probably swoon over her....I mean, she's so nice and pretty and she makes all that yummy food and all.....

I don't like Prudhomme recipes because he has to throw in 2 cups of salt in everything. He did teach my friend everything that he knows - then my friend opened a successful restaurant and later died...I suspect it was the salt.
(Restaurant, "Paula Jean's" on Long Island, New York)

As for me, I personally met with the great Chef Boyardee, over in Italy. Together we shared and created some wonderful foods, for three days, into the night we went.....I met his family....stayed in his home and enjoyed a real old world vacation. What a treasured memory it is. I never did manage to get the jerk to change that acidy crap he calls "gravy" in his raviolis.

Last edited by rainroosty; 11-16-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
Anthony Bourdain. He was here in Portland several years ago, doing a book signing at a local kitchenware store. Even shared a smoke and a few words outside during a break! I was and am a huge fan.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:01 AM

149 posts, read 271,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldyViolet View Post
I just met Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) this week at my work - she was in my neck of the woods. She is a lovely, classy and friendly lady. I really enjoyed seeing her. I got to talk to her and she signed my cookbook. I posted about this in the cooking shows thread.
Glad you posted this. I've seen her show a few times and she just seems so.... pretentious.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 271,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Anthony Bourdain. He was here in Portland several years ago, doing a book signing at a local kitchenware store. Even shared a smoke and a few words outside during a break! I was and am a huge fan.
Welp, I'm offcially jealous!

Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,090,211 times
I met Emeril in New Orleans at Emeril's New Orleans restuarant in the warehouse district - my company booked a huge dinner party for some employees. He knew he was going to make bunches of company money from my group so he had to come talk to all of us....he even called me by name as my name was on the reservation since my secretary had booked the dinner.

He's no chef, but I also met Adam Richman from Man v. Food when he was in the area two different times.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Lucky you, Goldy! I'd like to meet her but I'd probably swoon over her....I mean, she's so nice and pretty and she makes all that yummy food and all.....
Rain, she was so pretty in person and much smaller too I almost swooned myself!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:49 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by it_serpent View Post
Glad you posted this. I've seen her show a few times and she just seems so.... pretentious.
I'm sorry, I don't know how to multi-quote it seems, but I'm glad I could help change your view of her. She honestly was anything but pretentious. She was so friendly it felt like talking to a girlfriend. I'd love to cook with her! Well, I'd sit and take notes...

Old 11-16-2012, 05:51 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,046,193 times
Marcus Samelsson & Bobby Flay - friends of a relative. Marcus is a truly nice guy.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:04 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
I met Prudhome when he was a cook for the the Brennans many years back, and I was passing through as an itinerant dishwasher. He was working on some of the ideas that would make him great one day.

Also met Julia Childs when she was in town and toured the restaurant where I was working as a prep cook.
Was it Brennan's or Commander's Palace where he was the chef? I thought it was Commander's Palace. I thought Emeril Lagasse took over for him at Commander's Palace later on in the 1980s. Anyway, I ate at both in the late 1970s and they were scrumptious! ( I was going to school in New Orleans back then.)

Old 11-20-2012, 09:25 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Was it Brennan's or Commander's Palace where he was the chef? I thought it was Commander's Palace. I thought Emeril Lagasse took over for him at Commander's Palace later on in the 1980s. Anyway, I ate at both in the late 1970s and they were scrumptious! ( I was going to school in New Orleans back then.)
It was before the Brennans took over the Palace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink