Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times

Advertisements

I have been disappointed a lot lately when going out to eat or picking up food. I go out for lunch often and the price of things is outrageous. 10 dollars for a mediocre salad...I went to a bakery today and got a sandwich/small salad combo. It cost about 9 bucks and it's pretty good except that I got enough salad dressing to cover about 3 pieces of lettuce. A few weeks ago I went to a soup place on a Friday and got soup that tasted like it was leftover from Monday. It was chunky (and not in a good way) and lukewarm, yuck.

I don't think I'm usually very picky...maybe I am. Anyone else disappointed a lot lately with eating out? I think I'm going to give up and bring my own! Cheaper and probably healtheir!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
If it's not the prices, it's the noticeably smaller portion sizes I've seen in certain places. I went out with a friend for brunch not too long ago, and our omelettes were almost 10 dollars. A lot less hashbrowns, too.

Maybe it's me, but I've noticed this in the chain restaurants, mostly. I find if I go to a Mom and Pop or an ethnic restaurant, I get more value for my money. Plus, there is less of a wait, if any, and you encounter less screaming kids.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:50 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times
I love going out to eat and exploring new restaurants but I agree with you...I am disappointed most of the time. It usually turns out to the opposite of a nice relaxing time out. The food / drinks seem overpriced and the service is just not good. I don't mind paying a little more and getting a smaller portion IF it fresh and the surroundings pleasant.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It's hard for me to pay a lot of money for something I make better at home.

There are some good restaurants in my area, but a lot of restaurants seem to have gone to the commercially prepared proportioned heat and eat meals. Many restaurants don't want to pay a high enough salary to keep a good cook if they ever get one.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,216,852 times
Yes. I've had too many salads, sandwiches and soups thinking I could've made better at home. So now, I usually bring a lunch to work.

I've been most disappointed with Italian restaurants. I could've made something just as good and a lot cheaper with my Barilla and Prego at home.

After trial and error, I've found a few standby restaurants in my neighborhood where I'll stop for takeout on the way home on nights I don't feel like cooking and a few other places that I love to go on the weekend.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:29 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I am never disappointed in the price when going out to eat because I know what to expect. I check online before I go and If I have been there before it's no biggie. However there was one time when the food was so awful at this one restaurant I was glad it finally closed down this past year. The fish not fresh and the veggies tasted like it came from a microwave. I try not to go out for Italian because I can make it better at home. I usually like to go out for Asian, steaks or seafood or something eclectic. With that being said the last time we went out to a nice restaurant was August for my husbands 40th otherwise it's been 1 year since we fine dined.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:48 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Yep I think restaraunts are getting lazy and the prices are going up and quality is going down and we usually go to an asian place for bdays and that is about the only time we eat out anymore so once a year usually does the trick . I have a lot of food issues and a digestive and swallowing disorder so I dont enjoy going out to restaraunts because when I have to make my bites so small like a toddlers people stare and it is embarassing so we just simply dont go instead of feeling bad the rest of the night . But yeah restaraunt food stinks and prices are high and not worth it .

Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
This happens often in my town. The food is mediocre at best. There are a few good places...the rest...forget it.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
My husband says I have too high of expectations for restaurants, but it seems to me quality and service are hard to come by these days. Most restaurant meals seem to be mediocre at best these days, but I do expect hot food, normal portion sizes, good quality (actually got a pressed chicken breast from a chicken restaurant and "squid sticks in place of calamari-advertised on menu as "the best giant calamari in town!) These types of things are just tacky-unsure how places stay in business.
had a chicken/swiss sandwich the other day and asked twice if it was REAL swiss-not processed american/swiss knock-off. They swore it was swiss-well, it wasnt!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,288 times
I agree with everyone else, it's usually a disappointment, unless I stick with my favorite, tried-and-true places (and they are always mom & pop places). I have about 3-4 places that never change. THe rest - forget it. I don't know when the last time I was at a chain like Chili's, Olive Garden or such. (I actually like Chili's food too)

I actually don't mind the smaller portions, I think that's a good thing...but let's lower the price when we lower the portions, right? I hate paying a large amount of money for a tiny portion.

All in all, I just think it's better to cook and eat at home, and look at going out to eat as a special treat. But I feel for the folks who hate to cook...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink