Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,281,755 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be a NY snob(we certainly have our shortcomings), but honest to God if you never had a good NY pizza, you've really never had pizza!! It is truly a treat all my out of town friends want as soon as they come to visit. If I ever move from NY, zaa will be the numero uno thing I'll miss.
If it ain't a NY paison making it, it ain't worth eatin!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:41 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,361 times
I would like to try it sometime. We have a huge population from NY here and that's all they talk about and I wonder what I'm missing. We have places that claim to be NY style, but I couldn't say for sure if they are or not. I've had Chicago deep dish when we went to Chicago and that was really good...same with an Italian Beef, yum!

Old 10-15-2007, 04:06 PM

115 posts, read 481,461 times
Overrated. NY pizza is the same boring type of pizza you get in Anywhere, USA. Chicago or St. Louis style are much better IMO (and much more unique).

Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Overrated. NY pizza is the same boring type of pizza you get in Anywhere, USA. Chicago or St. Louis style are much better IMO (and much more unique).
Amen. Its too saturated with grease. Ill take Chicago style anyday.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM

859 posts, read 3,321,547 times
I love NY pizza and always will. Much of my family is from Brooklyn and I have found some great places both there and in Manhattan. NJ and Philly have some good places too. (we also have a few bad places in NJ, I won't lie, but there enough good ones to over ride the bad)

I do have an appreciation for Chicago pizza. It is very different, but I respect it and consider it a great food.

I would not agree though that you can get "NY pizza" anywhere.
You may not notice it if it's all you're used to, but when you're used to NY dough and eat this other dough, it's not good. The dough just flat out stinks in some places. The water is literally different and can't match the NY dough. The same with the bagels in certain states. This is not really meant to insult any person or state, I think it's actually a fact that the water makes a difference in dough quality. At the same time, there are other foods that are better in other parts of the country that we don't do well here and never will. (I<3southern white gravy).

And Carnvial Cruise line pizza is a flatout nightmare.

Last edited by LittleMissSunshine; 10-15-2007 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,190,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvedderbest View Post
Then you've never had good NY pizza. Sure, some might like Chicago or St. Louis style (I'm not familiar with St. Louis pizza), but true NY pizza is like heaven. I haven't been able to find the same thing anywhere I've visited in the US. Some have come close (Bronx Pizza in San Diego is very good), but you really can't appreciate it unless you've tried it.

My favorites are New Park Pizza in Howard Beach (Queens) for a regular pie, and L&B in Brooklyn for Sicilian. YUMMY!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
I don't mean to be a NY snob(we certainly have our shortcomings), but honest to God if you never had a good NY pizza, you've really never had pizza!! It is truly a treat all my out of town friends want as soon as they come to visit. If I ever move from NY, zaa will be the numero uno thing I'll miss.
If it ain't a NY paison making it, it ain't worth eatin!
East coast pizza rocks my world.... do not get me going..

greenie

Old 10-17-2007, 10:18 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,432,957 times
I had some ok pizza's here in the US....but none of them really blew me away, or rocked my world....lol.
I think my problem is, that I KNOW how pizzas SUPPOSED to taste like, eating them in Italy and Germany (Pizza shops owned by Italian's).
So, I am searching for similar pizzas here, I guess....lol.
I let you guys know, once I find it.....huh.

Last edited by MB2; 10-17-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: grammar....tssss...what else is new?!

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I've found great pizza in my town. I usually make my own but when I can't, I will go to this local place. It's touted as NY Pizza and it is very good.
I'm lucky. We can get good bagels (about 7 miles from here) and good pizza. There's something to be said for living in a 'tourist' area. When we lived in Central PA couldn't get either. So, yeah, up here in Vermont both are covered.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:59 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
I left Long Island 12 years ago and I miss NY Pizza the most. Now my husband and I fulltime in our motorhome and spend each winter in Fl and the pizza is horrible. I really think it is the nasty water here and not the recipe.

Guess we'll have to get back to NY one of these years for pizza, zeppoles, bagels, knishes, stromboli, calzones, and Nathans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink