Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2017, 01:12 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times

Advertisements

I almost forgot about that brand! My local grocery chains (I'm in PA) have not carried it in a number of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 06:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The most recent loaf of Roman Meal Whole Wheat (WW) bread we purchased has a sticker on it to say that the bread is being discontinued. The sticker also had a coupon for Nature's Own WW bread, which I've tried and don't like.

I'll sure miss it. The square shape, aka Pullman Loaf, is perfect for grilled cheese sandwiches and many others so we use a loaf every week or so.

I'm a WW fan and this is a half decent loaf. Most other WW breads are so fluffy with air they are like mush. I like WW to have some heft to it.

Re: Pullman Loaf. The term goes back to the days of rail travel when the Pullman Company ran dining cars on first class passenger trains. Space in these tiny kitchens was at a premium and normal loaves with rounded tops could not be stacked atop each other as they slid off the one below. Pullman used bread pans with lids to keep the loaf square so they would stay stacked in their storage area on the trains.
Haven't had any for years, but it used to be a favorite. I guess, like so many other things its time has run out. That is sad in a way

Old 09-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I haven't seen that brand since I lived in Ohio.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Try Milton's multi-grain bread, it's awesome. It's available at Trader Joe's and most Sam's Clubs have it. Dave's gets stale too fast for me.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:01 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
I never noticed it, but then I am not a fan of this kind of bread anyway.
There is no word about this bread to be discontinued on their website, so perhaps you will be able to buy it somewhere else?
Roman Meal

Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
...There is no word about this bread to be discontinued on their website, so perhaps you will be able to buy it somewhere else?...
I'm betting the grocery store or distributor for that area is discontinuing stocking the product, so the stickers were from the grocery store or distributor.

Old 09-11-2017, 02:32 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Looking online, I think this is a local thing, I don't see anything to the effect that Roman Meal is going to be discontinued entirely.

I honestly don't know if it's on sale locally or not, been a while since I bought any. Here in the Northwest, we have Dave's Killer Bread, which I personally think is quite a bit better anyway. That and we have a couple of local craft bakers with excellent if expensive products (well, you get what you pay for, mostly)

That said, I do agree that it's aggravating when a product you like is discontinued.

One trip to Ukraine, and you won't be impressed with (much) North American bread anyway. And last time I was there, the prices were very low.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:33 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
I remember eating Roman Meal bread as a teen, it was probably one of the better early versions of whole wheat mass market breads.

But, today I think it was just out competed by whole grain brands like Dave's Killer Bread. I like other grains besides wheat.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:31 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Reminds me of the sandwiches my grandma used to make me in the 70s. For some reason white bread wasn't popular in our house back then, even with us kids.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Looking online, I think this is a local thing, I don't see anything to the effect that Roman Meal is going to be discontinued entirely.

I honestly don't know if it's on sale locally or not, been a while since I bought any. Here in the Northwest, we have Dave's Killer Bread, which I personally think is quite a bit better anyway. That and we have a couple of local craft bakers with excellent if expensive products (well, you get what you pay for, mostly)

That said, I do agree that it's aggravating when a product you like is discontinued.

One trip to Ukraine, and you won't be impressed with (much) North American bread anyway. And last time I was there, the prices were very low.
Yes to Dave's Killer Bread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink