Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 PM

15 posts, read 12,126 times

Advertisements

I loved these when I was a kid. They were only around for a few years, but I remember buying them in huge packs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 03:41 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Marathon bars

late 1960s early 1970s they were the best candy bar available. And they were really big also

I am sure someone has a link / pic of them

Must have went out of business or something. maybe was giving the consumer too much a=of a candy bar and the big candy bar makers ran them out of town ?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:46 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Marathon bars

late 1960s early 1970s they were the best candy bar available. And they were really big also

I am sure someone has a link / pic of them

Must have went out of business or something. maybe was giving the consumer too much a=of a candy bar and the big candy bar makers ran them out of town ?
I had to look that up because I vaguely remember that name. They were discontinued however, they now have a replacement for it called the "Curly-Wurly" (Marathon Bar) made by Cadbury but, they have to be imported from England.
https://www.oldtimecandy.com/walk-th...-marathon-bar/

The Marathon Bar was a full eight inches of braided caramel covered in milk chocolate. Mars introduced it in 1973 and thanks to its bright-red package and extra long size, it stood out among the competition.
Here is the original packaging. Amazing! Only 15 cents back then!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:52 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Campbell's Pepper Pot soup.

My late sister loved this! You’re the only other person that I ever heard of that was familiar with it...brought back warm fuzzies...

Old 11-05-2017, 07:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I had to look that up because I vaguely remember that name. They were discontinued however, they now have a replacement for it called the "Curly-Wurly" (Marathon Bar) made by Cadbury but, they have to be imported from England.

The Marathon Bar was a full eight inches of braided caramel covered in milk chocolate. Mars introduced it in 1973 and thanks to its bright-red package and extra long size, it stood out among the competition.
That would be them !!

I remember riding my bike to the local little small town grocer and buying them with my paper route money !

I would have my mouth so jammed full of marathon bar I could not even say hello. They were ultra chewy ( obvious from the caramel ) and man were they good. Perfect blend of rich smooth chocolate over chewy caramel

Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post

I remember these from my youngest childhood - there was a liquor store where my dad would stop sometimes on the way home and I remember picking one based on the commercial where the bar just kept coming out of the package, never coming to an end. The braided look was cool, and when I bit into it the chocolate kinda crumbled away from it. I remember chewing and chewing, and I wasn't able to finish it. What's strange is the memories of other things sold in that liquor store that this triggered. At the bottom of the endcap where they stocked the candy, they had open boxes of licorice - black or red, and they were 2c a piece. They were sold loose in those open boxes, so unsanitary for today's standards!

Old 11-07-2017, 04:19 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Wink Campbell's Pepper Pot soup was discontinued in 2010

[quote=MarciaMarshaMarcia;50041243][quote]Campbell's Pepper Pot soup
Quote:
My late sister loved this! You’re the only other person that I ever heard of that was familiar with it...brought back warm fuzzies...
I remember liking Campbell's Pepper Pot soup when I was young, until I got old enough to read and comprehend the ingredient label.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times
Campbell's Pepper Pot was actually tripe soup. Yes, I know what that is and it never decreased my appetite for the soup.

Where I live there is a large community of Italian-descended people who love their tripe. When some of the local restaurants advertise there will be "tripe on Thursday", the line is out the door waiting for a table.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Sounds like the Meximelt - in the 90s, they had fresh pico on them and were delicious. Supposedly they still make them, but I bet they taste nothing like they did in the 90s (I wouldn't know, I haven't eaten at taco bell in years). https://www.tacobell.com/food/specialties/Meximelt
The Meximelt was the best single food product Taco Bell ever put out. I realize that is an awfully low bar, but it really was tasty and simple enough to be consistent.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:28 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,434,021 times
Hostess Tiger Tail Twinkies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink